M82 Barrett

Loving the look of the M82, loving the sound of it, while I don't agree with the standard mag being the 5 round mag, but I can live with that, but there are a few problems that needs to be addressed.
Currently the very first deploy animation is broken on the M82 (when you spawn before the truck). I saw this on hardcore checkpoint. When you spawn, there's nothing for like 1 second and then your m82 kind of warps into your hand.
Another even worse problem is that there's a few 100 miliseconds of delay before firing the m82. You can imagine this leads to a lot of missed shots, especially at high range when you have to take into account bullet drop and time to arrive.
Another thing is on hardcore checkpoint, it takes literally 2-3 seconds to deploy the M82 and ADS. The ADS part is okay and quite realistic, but deploying the barrett takes way too much time. A trained soldier no way in hell could be this slow, especially in life and death situations.

last edited by Sgt.Kanyo

I agree that the fire delay on the Barrett is incredibly annoying, and more importantly entirely fantasy as the real life Barrett fires from a closed bolt, which means there should be no delay.

That said, even the ingame delay is even longer than that felt when firing an open bolt weapon, infact I hardly ever notice a difference in real life, the bolt closing so quickly that shots still feel instantanous.

It does seem VERY odd that it even has a 5 round mag, as Barrett doesn't sell anything short of a 10 rounder on their own site for anything other than the M95, so you'd have to go out of your way to get 5 rounders rather than just the 10 rounders they come with lol.

@Sgt-Kanyo said in M82 Barrett:

I saw this on hardcore checkpoint. When you spawn, there's nothing for like 1 second and then your m82 kind of warps into your hand.

Yeah, I've noticed this lmao.

Another even worse problem is that there's a few miliseconds of delay before firing the m82. You can imagine this leads to a lot of missed shots, especially at high range when you have to take into account bullet drop and time to arrive.

A few milliseconds is kind of undercutting the problem. The delay (at least for me) seems to be around 350-400 milliseconds, or .4 seconds, which is huge at medium and long range. This makes hitting shots hard as shit.

Another thing is on hardcore checkpoint, it takes literally 2-3 seconds to deploy the M82 and ADS. The ADS part is okay and quite realistic, but deploying the barrett takes way too much time. A trained soldier no way in hell could be this slow, especially in life and death situations.

My only real problem with this is that bots on HC will normally kill you, at any range, within around three seconds once they open fire. This means that you simply do not have enough time to set up the M82/M99 and get off accurate counter-fire before you get clapped, and this actually encourages players not to deploy the AMRs.

This is why I'll actually fold the bipod on the AMRs 90% of the time, and won't even bother trying to deploy them.

@Mainfold said in M82 Barrett:

It does seem VERY odd that it even has a 5 round mag, as Barrett doesn't sell anything short of a 10 rounder on their own site for anything other than the M95, so you'd have to go out of your way to get 5 rounders rather than just the 10 rounders they come with lol.

I assume it's a balance thing, similar to how rapid-firing the AMRs while deployed doesn't give you tinnitus but rapid-firing without deploying will wreck your ears.

@Sgt-Kanyo I'm gonna make a more detailed post pretty soon about the AMRs.

last edited by MarksmanMax

@MarksmanMax said in M82 Barrett:

Another even worse problem is that there's a few miliseconds of delay before firing the m82. You can imagine this leads to a lot of missed shots, especially at high range when you have to take into account bullet drop and time to arrive.

A few milliseconds is kind of undercutting the problem. The delay (at least for me) seems to be around 350-400 milliseconds, or .4 seconds, which is huge at medium and long range. This makes hitting shots hard as shit.

You're right, what I meant was a few 100 milliseconds. I've updated the first post. The fact of the matter is that it's a lot of time and like you said, it makes you miss your shots.

...it's a lot of time and like you said, it makes you miss your shots.

Especially considering there really wouldn't be any delay at all, like some people have said.

Just found out that the Barrett cannot be deployed on the Hideout map's A building 2nd floor, that looks towards B. It's a perfectly flat concrete surface...

The fire delay on the Barrett definitely needs to be removed, it's a completely ridiculous & arcady balancing feature they've added which instead only serves to ruin realism & immersion.

Heck I'd even argue that they need to substantially reduce the delay felt on the open bolt weapons as well (or better yet remove it entirely), as in real life you really don't feel the delay as its so damn tiny its unnoticable.

In short this whole "fire delay feature" is an annoying and unrealistic gimmick that the Focus developers need to remove asap.

last edited by Wolfram

I've not even played with the new rifles yet but hearing the M82 has a 5 round mag is instantly a HUGE turnoff.
It's a fucking antimaterial rifle made to fuck shit up, to fuck you and your buddies all in the same room, your cover, the vehicle you're next to, and the guy in the room behind you.

5 round magazine? I'm sure those things come with 10 round mags standard, what logic is there to cap the mag to 5 rounds? What for competitive reasons? Well if thats the case then seperate/make different versions of the competitive and normal gear so that cooperative players can enjoy 10 delicious rounds while competitive get their "balanced" 5 round mag and all the other "competitive/pvp balances" you make on all gear.

Sandstorm is a very unknown game, Insurgency still has more players on average daily than Sandstorm has seen during its peak. Why balance the game around a competitive scene which is miniscule in comparison to the cooperative scene.

@Depleted said in M82 Barrett:

...what logic is there to cap the mag to 5 rounds? What for competitive reasons?

At this point, I'm almost convinced that NWI balances everything around competitive, even the Casual modes. Ins2014 wasn't exactly balanced the same way.

Easy solution: Don't add unbalanced weapons to competitive, or just finish balancing the existing game to have a good baseline before adding yet more variability to the mix.

My take is that competitive should be fixed for "seasons", so that the changes get tested out in PvE and PvP for a good while before we change the competitive rule set.

Competitive players demand, and must get, a stable experience so that all their training and play on the game is consistent and constant throughout the competitive ladder climb, or else it makes the investment of play time necessary to climb worthless when major changes are introduced without proper testing in the wider game.

Plus, if we're gonna have a bigass .50BMG semiautomatic man-portable cannon, then do it right or don't do it at all.

In real life, it's a hefty piece of gear, it's heavier than an M240B and it's chonky.

I can see taking a longer time to deploy to get the bipod out and be fully ready for accurate fire, but I think all weapons should be able to be panic-fired mid-deploy.

In real life, if a guy ran up on me while I was getting my M249 bipod out, I'd start firing cyclic rate until he wasn't a threat before finishing my bipod deployment.

Blocking firing for an animation that is undertaken during combat which doesn't actually reduce one's ability to pull the trigger and get a shot off shouldn't prevent firing.

The 5-round mag on the M-82 doesn't bother me too much, only because there are so few other attachments for it I want those points for.