Extreme Vote-kick Harassment

@skillet
Why do you think that i would act like i described in my post above ?
It was just an example that some players/friends ( who have the majority on a server ) eventually might act like that, if they have no other reason to start a votekick.
For some groups there is no real reason necessary to start a kick procedure. So i was just bringing up an example what they might have in mind.
No reason to start a fight here buddy šŸ˜‰
I would not start or participate in a votekick just because somebody is rushing the mission objectives.
To be honest, i donĀ“t like if it happens, but i am not the one who is punishing that behaviour.

By the way,a few weeks ago many players wished to have the votekick option and now i just read a couple of complaints about that feature being abused.
We need a new survey ( only for coop games ) so that NWI knows better the needs of us and can make decision based on tendency.

last edited by GSG_9_LIGHTNING

Well, I think that if there are a lot of people abusing a mechanic, there ought to be a solution.

So, in general, I'd guess that votekick is not as big of a problem as the previous situation with trolls and idlers being able to grief the team.

If that's true, then the easiest (in terms of implementation) solution would be a "report" feature, where we could report abusive behavior and have it reviewed.

Given the player counts, it shouldn't be too much administration to manage it, although the trolls will always adjust behavior to escape moderation (i.e. if the moderators review game events and text chat, trolls may only use voice comms or move in ways that interferes with gameplay without shooting anyone).

But, it's a multiplayer game in the current year, so the expectation that the community can self-police may not be viable.

For the "I've never seen it so it's not an issue" contingent, here you go.

To quote, "I kicked him 'cause he's the nerd that was camping spawn and killed me in a 1v1."

Remember, in Sandstorm, "spawn camping" means "shooting me after I spawn but before I reach my destination." While that's about 30% facetious, the guy in the following example was not spawn camping.

Youtube Video

The devs knew vote kick was garbage and they put it in anyway. It's insanity. Skillet, that was a perfect example of a trashy player abusing vote kick.

@MLB7 Funny I still havenā€™t seen it abused yet but did see someone get kicked for being afk yesterday interesting... Not saying it wonā€™t ever be used for abuse but I can abuse players in many more ways than voting to kick someone (which I would like to add I saw a few votekicks fail to kick yesterday as well..) but anyways I would put money on the fact that on any given day votekick systems all across the globe are used more for justifiable cause than abuse... Either way I donā€™t really care I will more than likely be moving on for good soon they clearly are more concerned for the co-op player base which is not me so is what it is.

@planetcanada you can't abuse people that dont let you. I can block you. You can only tk once. Actually, if you tk one of us our whole team is going to tk you one time so that never works out for them either. The game also kicks afkers if they dont move from spawn and if they do...big whoop is 1:30 tops. Go take a leak or get a drink. The other minor shit like throwing smokes in front of someone or trying to run into their fire is no biggie either. Ignore and they will get bored.

Plenty of options to handle people without giving some kid with control issues rights over a game someone else paid for.

@MLB7 said in Extreme Vote-kick Harassment:

you could block the toxic people and they could only kill one person in a match before it was reflected.

Well, you're not thinking with portals.

Damage reflection is insanely easy for trolls to abuse. If they can get damage reflection triggered on a player, they could then stand in said player's incendiary grenades and watch the player burn to death. They can also just intentionally run into the player's line of fire, sit on a commander's explosive artillery call, etc.

The other minor shit like throwing smokes in front of someone or trying to run into their fire is no biggie either.

Does that include repeatedly flash-banging your own team? Doesn't sound like a small problem to me.

@MLB7 You can block me? What the fuck does that do? Seriously I donā€™t know Iā€™m genuinely asking... And you can play in a different server so you can play the game you payed for... I canā€™t play the game I payed for because itā€™s fucking brutal and caters to a overly sensitive crowd because these days being trolled a little over the internet is a fucking criminal offence... Itā€™s pathetic. At this point Iā€™m sure you might find it hard to believe but I donā€™t actually condone bullying but come the fuck on itā€™s the goddamn internet man people are weak... Anyways this is just MO and Iā€™m slowly more and more becoming the minority as this world turns into a hug and feels fest where one not dare utter anything besides compliments towards another person. I see this more and more every single day especially in my work place and once again Iā€™m not saying people should have to put up with bullying at least in real life but the internet is different and people not too long ago used to actually have thick skin and a few calluses on there hands...

@MarksmanMax 917 hours and I've never seen anyone effectively do those things enough to seriously hinder play. I dont play coop though. Maybe thats the difference.

last edited by MLB7

@planetcanada I mean you can block anyone bothering you. Hit tab and click on the Mic. Annoying person is now out of your life forever.

@MLB7 Ahhh ok so you mean mute which is what I figured you meant which does absolutely nothing but silence the person vocally for ā€œyouā€ only. Essentially taking away their ability to abuse ā€œyouā€ with their words yet leaving them completely free to continue to use every other possible tactic in their arsenal to abuse...

@planetcanada it's extremely rare for people to do the other so called tactics you guys go on about. Its not worth giving the trolls and cry babies a griefing tool with the power of preventing someone to play the game they paid for.

last edited by MLB7

@MLB7 Funny you should say that because I have yet to see someone kicked for an undeserved reason granted at least that I noticed... but yet have seen people do several of the other things ā€œus guysā€ are ā€œgoing onā€ about.

@MLB7 Oh and for the record I only play versus as well. To date have not touched co-op once...

@planetcanada please capture some video of these griefing tactics that occur constantly. Should be easy since you guys say it's such a problem. Theres already a video in this thread of someone saying they vote kicked for bs reasons.

Devs sold out big time on this. Like this was the magic bullet to save their dying game. Ubisoft wannabes.

Are you high? This makes no sense, how did the devs sell out by implementing a vote kick feature which existed in their previous game and the mod? Please explain yourself as i'm sober right now and i can't fathom your reasoning.

Ubisoft are a terrible company that is well known and agreed on, but this is nothing alike what they've done. Sandstorm was dead before release because the publisher is shit at their job; marketing the game. Sandstorm still to this date is a unknown game and due to its many faults and flaws mainly relating to performance and no modding so a huge portion of the potential audience has gone to other titles.