Isn't it about the community

I just cant understand how a game that survives almost solely on their community mod makers would consider locking their product behind a single store. I for one am not at all impressed with the way Epic does business, the lack of features available, and just how little they have invested in anything other that trying to get a monopoly on all the games possible. I have well over 1000 hrs in my mudrunner editor, I think I have 27 maps I have put out for our community to enjoy. All I can really say is I'm disappointed in their decision and I would not be surprised to see any extra money they make from their Epic deal being offset by the lack of sales overall induced by the one store exclusive. I wont be purchasing the new game from Epic and I doubt I will if it ever comes to steam.

Overall I'm just getting tired of this industry as a whole. I hope Cuberpunk 2077 doesn't let us down🤞

@remoh667 said in Isn't it about the community:

I just cant understand how a game that survives almost solely on their community mod makers would consider locking their product behind a single store.

As opposed to the current situation...?

@Lombra You are right it is only available on Steam at this point or buying physical copies. I also understand that these companies need to make money too. I dont know if you have seen the events unfolding with the game Darq but this dev has been riding a pretty positive wave by avoiding the Epic offers and sticking with the original plan. The most interesting part was Epic rejecting to sell his product if he didn't agree to full exclusivity. Just another example of how not to do business in my opinion. I dont know why the gaming industry appears so shady as a while these days. Kinda takes the fun out of it

I dont know but in russia, where this game was created, i hardly survived since most of its users incl moders, stole it from torrents.
Mudrunner went to consoles and to other countries- and development became better and faster. Imo.

@remoh667 I can’t understand what the problem is in installing another launcher for the game? If the publisher chose this path, then there were reasons for this. I speak now neither as a moderator. (It’s actually hard to express an unpopular point of view when you moderator).
I also don’t like the exclusivity policy, but I like the game and I want to support the developer. Why not look at the situation from this perspective?

last edited by Dvoryaninoff

@Dvoryaninoff said in Isn't it about the community:

@remoh667 I can’t understand what the problem is in installing another launcher for the game? If the publisher chose this path, then there were reasons for this. I speak now neither as a moderator. (It’s actually hard to express an unpopular point of view when you moderator).
I also don’t like the exclusivity policy, but I like the game and I want to support the developer. Why not look at the situation from this perspective?

I doubt most people care where they can get the game from as long as they can get it. To most Epic is just a store, no different from Stream, PSN Store or XBL Store. MOST (not all) the time it's just a vocal minority that cares about stuff like this way to much and feel personally hurt because a business wants to make money.

News flash people every business cares about money. Some of you might prefer features Steam offers over features Epic offers, but if anybody thinks Steam gives a damn about your feelings, you're delusional. Steam has there business plan that they think will make the most money, and Epic has their business plan. It's as simple as that. Both are all about your money one way or the other.

I don't see this as being a Ghostbusters Reboot type of situation honestly. I think there is enough people that just want the game and don't care where they get it, that SnowRunner will do fine on Epic at the end of the day. One would assume Focus has all the numbers and stats to justify the move from Steam to Epic as being worth it, otherwise they wouldn't of done it.

last edited by justinlynch3
  1. The Epic store does NOT support modding community at the moment (might be a feature in the future, not right now)
  2. The Epic store "fish" for publishers by requesting exclusivity, if the intent is to create a community then why does it have to be exclusive to their store? Steam doesnt care if the game is in multiple stores, why would Epic?
  3. The prices in the Epic store are not suitable for all regions, Steam analyzes the local markets in each country to assess what is the equivalent price locals can pay for a game, this strategy will for sure hurt sales.
  4. The current trend marks Epic stores as the bad guys, this will make the community backlash (as seen in some of the reviews that are popping up in the steam store page for MudRunner).

Making this game an Epic store exclusive IS NOT a community decision, is a money decision made by the publisher to get some quick cash while making profit for the sales later on. BUT on the long run they will end up loosing customers.

I dont see this vision of "a hardcore community" that will follow Mudrunner to another platform. Maybe some hundreds will do it, but check the steam charts for this game':
https://steamdb.info/app/675010/graphs/

Do you really think 200k to 500k people will just hoard to Epic Games Store? This is what delusion is...

If you are still not convinced, again check at the multiple reddit posts about this topic, check the steam reviews, check this very same forums.

I really hope everything works out for Mudrunner, as for me I will wait for the Steam release, and if it doesnt happen, then they lost another customer.

What I'm wondering though if if the casuals care, because that's who's gonna make the bulk of the sales at the end of the day. I mean is Epic VS Steam going to turn out to be any different then EBaby VS Amazon? The diehards are currently not happy with the switch. But at the end of the day how many are really going to care about Epic being the bad guys, VS how many are just going to look at Epic as no more then just another store.

I guess we'll see when the game comes out. But more often then not, the most vocal community is also the minority.

Thats where u people are wrong. If it was just about moving to another store with same equality (which doesn't exist), then maybe.. it wouldn't be huge deal like this.. But they not only move the game, but also make it exclusive is just wrong, i mean take example from CDprojekt, guys are trying to put their games on as many platforms as available for the people that love their creations and they are getting hugely rewarded because of it, but what focus do is they are stripping away all the features and comfort from costumers, they are literally going from Nike to Chinese rip off which costs 5$ at best and doesn't offer half as much.

Almost all the games from this publisher are on steam, take Surge 2 for example, new anticipated game coming out but hey its on steam, how about GreedFall.. Same thing, A Plague Tail and Call of Cthulhu. All of them on steam, maybe it was developer decision after all which breaks my heart even more. Probably next farm sim gonna keep the tradition and go on steam again..

Obviously this decision will not have impact on console community and i know they draw huge amounts of money from that market, but doing this to us pc fanatics is just wrong.. I really love franchise and always wanted to do amazing in sales but i highly doubt increases on pc sales, just because of this move.. I hate it, but it is the reality sadly.

i am on both side of the fence. while i would like to see things go a general direction, i also feel things need to take their course and let things go where they may. i have concerns for the future, the community needs to be listened to, but the right part of the community. more than once people have wanted something only later to find out it was just a small minority with a loud voice, not the majority. then there is the point of Focus wanting to make "their" game how they plan.

for now i plan on sitting back and just seeing where things go. the up side to everything is there is still a second choice out there. only where are they both headed exactly?

@8up-local said in Isn't it about the community:

the up side to everything is there is still a second choice out there. only where are they both headed exactly?

What second choice, you mean ST? Yes that one's on Steam, but it's closer to MR than SR, at least in the foreseeable future. I don't see a 2nd choice to SR.

Just an update. Steam has changed their contract. If a company decides on an exclusive deal they will not be allowed to release on steam at all... which means at this point all the epic exclusive are not coming to steam ever. Interesting turn of events. Apparently alot of dev's have been using steam to communicate with players (while in contract with epic as an exclusive) because the epic store doesn't support communication. These folks are gonna have to take a long hard look at the contracts they are making now. The biggest problem is the store has almost no features and seems to keep pushing them back. Let's see how this all goes

@remoh667 interesting. About time Steam started defend themselves. It's gonna be a clash of titans and you know who are going to be the loosers? Us players.

I hope this "battle" eradicates exclusivity on PC once and for all.

Competition can be good. On the other hand, you don't want to be stuck with the losing side. I hope Focus realizes how important mods are to the PC community when it comes to this game. They literally keep the game going. I'm not very hopeful that Epic can recreate the success of Steam's workshop. Hoping it's not an Epic fail.

@remoh667 could u provide source please?

@zamal said in Isn't it about the community:

@remoh667 could u provide source please?

there is a part in the steam distribution agreement where a develloper cannot put a game on steam if has already been released on another platform for more than 30 days ( consoles versions not included ).
imgur

@strega13 so SR was revealed on august 20th if something doesnt happen at focus immediately and they 180 this shit, then its done. they dont bring game on steam until 20th of september then bye bye.. pretty sad but im also happy that steam isnt nodding head to epics actions

well.. it is what it is. We as a community expressed our take on this, we cant do anything else GGs

last edited by zamal

@zamal But SR isn't out on Epic yet, so I don't think the clock has started ticking. But I don't expect Focus to reverse their decision.