Reload speeds not realistic for any weapon.

As a Advanced Small Arms Instructor and a operator. I have to tell you whoever has given you the techniques used for reloads and the time it takes for a rotational reload or a speed reload has definitely not done any research into just what a standard time is for a trained person. Reloads are ridiculously slow. Yet one could question if the enemy has to reload at all. I think I will put this in a separate blog but, you also need to improve the transition time going directly from primary to secondary as that it also is sloth slow. I could train a person who has never held a weapon to move faster then player models do in this game, in one afternoon.

I think some of the reload speeds are what they are for balance reasons and to encourage teamwork.

For example if the ARs would reload much faster than AKs it wouldn't be good for balance.
Youtube Video

I understand what you mean but even though this game is meant to be a realistic shooter game it is still hard to make everything super realistic because it is, after all, a game and they have to make the game balanced.

The speed reloads could be like 5-10% faster.

Another thing to consider is that while reloading can be much faster under ideal conditions at the range, the game is not set at such a place. The fast reloads, like any action requiring speed and some degree of precision are much easier to perform on the range than in the field when burdened with equipment and under the pressure of combat.

In the middle of combat, with a weapon being operated by some nameless soldier in some insurgent group or milita, with a hundred outside considerations and stressors, reload speed would IMO be much reduced.

YES! I hate that! I am no "operator" like gunz there, but in my civilian world im also a (former) firearms instructor, the incredibly slow reload and transition speeds are so annoying. I wish they'd increase those speeds.

I totally agree with you cool_lad, they tried to draw upon both some of their own military experience and simultaneously keep the environment in which the game is set in mind. They did a lot of interviewing, video watching, and took a lot of suggestions on mechanics from combat vets.

Very few of the people this game is mirroring have any appreciable formal weapons experience, and are under stress. It also forces you to choose your location and manner of engagement in a much more realistic manner.

I almost never have ammo issues in firefights now that I've learned the maps and guns. Worse case, pack a makarov with a speed draw holster for just in case.

I DO however agree that some of the reloads on some of the more unfamiliar weapons are a bit too close to the book, and could use a 5-10% increase like someone suggested, but I'd have to see it in game.

last edited by Bobondacob

Hi @gunzc21 welcome to the forums. Where do you teach?

Reloads are ridiculously slow. ... I could train a person who has never held a weapon to move faster then player models do in this game, in one afternoon.

I assume this is hyperbole. In my experience the overall reload speeds aren't too far off from what typical combat reload speeds are for standard infantry. Keeping in mind, like @cool_lad said above, that most characters do not represent special forces or highly trained "operators." The AR-15 pattern rifles in game speed reload in about 3 seconds. This is certainly on the slow side by competition standards, but as a baseline for combat infantry I wouldn't call it "ridiculous."

One thing you may be noting is the proportion of movement isn't great. The in-game animations run the reloads at a fairly consistent speed, where in real life we tend to perform certain actions more quickly than others - such as moving a fresh mag to the gun.

@gunzc21 said in Reload speeds not realistic for any weapon.:

As a Advanced Small Arms Instructor and a operator. I have to tell you whoever has given you the techniques used for reloads and the time it takes for a rotational reload or a speed reload has definitely not done any research into just what a standard time is for a trained person. Reloads are ridiculously slow. Yet one could question if the enemy has to reload at all. I think I will put this in a separate blog but, you also need to improve the transition time going directly from primary to secondary as that it also is sloth slow. I could train a person who has never held a weapon to move faster then player models do in this game, in one afternoon.

I´m sure theres faster reloads in RL than in INS. But: Theres also more lifes (the green shroom from Mario) in INS then in RL.
So, you can complain about a deviation like this one. But you also can come to the point where you realise, that RL is not
to compared with a video game.