October Community Update

Hello SnowRunners!

October is here, and we’re excited to bring you some insight into the development of SnowRunner, looking at what the team has been up to, and share some brand new screenshots, including a new vehicle presentation!

To celebrate the Fall Season, we’d like to show off some shots of Michigan, one of the three regions that you will explore when SnowRunner launches early next year. Each Region in SnowRunner is huge, spanning multiple maps, each of which is several times larger than the average MudRunner map.

Let’s go on a little journey!

Desktop-2019.07.19---15.20.51.12.mp4.00_01_18_34.png
Take a leisurely drive down the picturesque Black River map.

Desktop-2019.07.17---18.18.55.04.mp4.00_01_58_11.png
A tranquil town next to a lake waits for supplies.

Desktop-2019.07.22---15.43.01.06.mp4.00_08_44_25.png
Bring supplies to the broken bridge to repair it and cross the river.

On top of being much larger, these maps are physically interconnected by tunnels. Exploration is an essential aspect of SnowRunner, so to pass from one map to another, you must drive to the edge of the map and use the gateway that leads to the next. Occasionally these will only unlock after you complete certain missions.

Tunnel.png
A whole new world!

mapGate.png
The map waits to be explored.

A lot of work has gone into map design and how players explore the wilderness in SnowRunner. Each region has its own flavor, music, and overarching backstory, which the player discovers over time as they complete tasks to repair, build, and resupply remote and untamed locations.

In Michigan for example, you will find tranquil border towns enveloped by a fireworks display of autumn leaves, flooded plains and bogs, and rocky mountains full of treacherous paths.

The team has also been working hard on the music of SnowRunner this month. You can expect the familiar, warm and weather-worn strings of blues guitar, but also regionally specific music and instruments that contribute towards making each area feel unique.

The Azov 64-131

Of course, it wouldn’t be a monthly community update without at least one new vehicle presentation, so feast your eyes on the powerful Azov 64-131:

Snowrunner-Azov64131-Vehicules_1040x584.jpg

And in case you missed it sliding by, take a look at this sweet slippery GIF with the Don 71:

alt text

The season of spook has arrived, and nothing says Halloween like driving through a field of pumpkins.

HALLOWEEN_PUMPKIN_1-(0-00-00-00).png

We hope you’ve enjoyed this month’s update! We look forward to sharing more news and vehicles with you as we get closer to launching SnowRunner early next year.

If you haven't done so already, we encourage you to join our Discord to hang out with other drivers, players, and the team. Share your MudRunner mods, screenshots, and stories while you wait for SnowRunner! https://discord.gg/AUZHNqy

last edited by Jellyfoosh

Now thats a community update I like to see!! Thanks guys

Just awesome! Love every bit! Don on those tires looks great! Excellent update! Thanks all!👍👍

the whole tunnel system to the other maps is exactly like a game called Motorm4x

10/10 for this update! Love the way it's layed out and the amount of information and screenshots ist amazig. Thanks @Jellyfoosh ! you guys did a good job this time around!

In the other hand I must say the graphics look really really good. Also love the idea of music to incorporate the feel of each location and finding out that not only the maps are bigger, but they are interconnected it's just amazing. Basically the game is going 100% in the direction I wanted. Exploration, Progression, Missions, Story... I just love everything.

This is very nice. The autumn/fall colors and graphics are really spot-on. The new truck, Azov 64131, very much as well. It seems to be inspired from a KAMAZ-65228 or similar model.
Older version:
KAMAZ-65228-tracktor-3.jpg
Newer version:
KAMAZ-65228-tracktor-6.jpg

The source for this images: https://www.kamazexport.com/truck/kamaz-65228-8x8-gcw-120000-kg-tractor-truck-prime-mover/

I am quite hyped for this game, to be honest! 😃 Also, please make note of the different tires the Niva (Don) has in the pumpkin image. That is a clear sign we can change tires in order to meet our needs. Very, very good stuff!

last edited by FirebonE

Hooray, all great news and my anticipation is through the roof. Thank so much for the hard work and you e got one guaranteed pre order right here. Great work devs

Great!
Music, kamaz 8×8, wow)

As for music - on russian maps it MUST be russian chanson!
(I hated it a lot all my 40 years....before mudrunner, all russian drivers listen to it in urals and kamaz's)
Or at least Vladimir Vysotsky songs.

Красота!)

I hope ALL!! vehicles AND addons will have working taillights and reverse lights (powerfull, close to K700's). In mr many many vehicles and addons dont have it(

alt text

last edited by Stazco

@Stazco said in October Community Update:

russian chanson

I was thinking more of a background music to give the environment a "feeling", not a radio with popular music.

I love Mudrunner and look forward to this great release. I stream with Spintires Mudrunner and my audience is loving this game, even though it's not traditional here in Brazil. Invited to the community to visit Papaizito's facebook page, you are welcome. @Papaizitoo!72973319_195547944812176_4755761598314840064_o.jpg

Awesome! As for music, I really enjoyed the heavy metal music theme from MudRunner when delivering logs and unlocking gararges, I hope it is still in SnowRunner.

I agree with others on the great update this time. This is the kind of detail and info we were looking for.

I don't want to complain too much but I still don't really like the over-saturated look of the graphics. They're pretty like a painting, but not very realistic, and very similar to AW. It looks like the AW assets were used as the base for SR. The Russian maps in MR on the other hand were too gray. Something in the middle would be my preference (like what ST has now).

Music may be OK as long as it's subtle and atmospheric. I also wouldn't want radio-style music playing all the time. I'd surely want to disable it. I always liked the background sounds of the woods in ST/MR (the birds and so on). I feel no music is necessary with a background sound like that, except momentarily for completing stuff.

last edited by Unster

Nice update. Like that we can repair bridges this time around and the gateways being tunnels make a lot of sense. Yet again a powerful offroad truck has low capacity, so I think we can officially say they gimped all the good vehicles to "limit their use" That's disheartening seeing this is supposed to be a offroad game first and foremost. But instead of 800L like 8X8's in Mudrunner had, we now get around 300L or so.

Still maps look amazing, those pumpkins are way more realistic then in Mudrunner, and that Don 70 jeep looks beastly with the upgraded tires. So it's not all bad.

@Unster said in October Community Update:

I agree with others on the great update this time. This is the kind of detail and info we were looking for.

I don't want to complain too much but I still don't really like the over-saturated look of the graphics. They're pretty like a painting, but not very realistic, and very similar to AW. It looks like the AW assets were used as the base for SR. The Russian maps in MR on the other hand were too gray. Something in the middle would be my preference (like what ST has now).

Music may be OK as long as it's subtle and atmospheric. I also wouldn't want radio-style music playing all the time. I'd surely want to disable it. I always liked the background sounds of the woods in ST/MR (the birds and so on). I feel no music is necessary with a background sound like that, except momentarily for completing stuff.

Honestly I always found one of the free DLC maps in Mudrunner looked very good, The Valley I think it is. That one where you get the big white 8X8 truck. It seems to use base Mudrunner assets, but the skies are clearer and blue and the map seems a little brighter, not so dark and grey.

More maps like that one would been nice.

@justinlynch3 Bridge building is fun and for those on a PC it's available in various mod maps in MR. It's good that it's coming to the console folks too.

Regarding the fuel capacity, we'll have to wait and see how bad it is. I also hope they keep the specs realistically proportional, and not artificially change some trucks in favor of others.

@justinlynch3 said in October Community Update:

Honestly I always found one of the free DLC maps in Mudrunner looked very good, The Valley I think it is. That one where you get the big white 8X8 truck.

Ah, yes that one came before AW and I agree it looked very nice. Colorful but not too much.

@justinlynch3 Bridge building is fun and for those on a PC it's available in various mod maps in MR. It's good that it's coming to the console folks too.

Regarding the fuel capacity, we'll have to wait and see how bad it is. I also hope they keep the specs realistically proportional, and not artificially change some trucks in favor of others.

True. For all we know 350L can go a lot further in SnowRunner then in MudRunner. We don't know how fuel consumption in SnowRunner works. I just don't want a situation where a truck like this still burns 42L per minute, but now we only have 350L to work with.

@Jellyfoosh With a lot of trucks having permanent diff lock, is it going to be like in MR where it affects turning radius? If so, I don't like seeing so many trucks with permanent diff lock. I think it should be selectable and that would also be more realistic. I don't think any of these trucks have permanent diff lock in real life. That would make turning a real pain, unless it's not really a diff lock but just limited-slip differential.

@justinlynch3 said in October Community Update:

Honestly I always found one of the free DLC maps in Mudrunner looked very good, The Valley I think it is. That one where you get the big white 8X8 truck.

Ah, yes that one came before AW and I agree it looked very nice. Colorful but not too much.

I think really the only issue with most base game Mudrunner maps is that it's usually cloud cover and foggy which gives the grey look. Pull back the clouds and turn the fog into most a mist cover look, as if it had just stopped raining, and Mudrunner was quite nice.