October Community Update

@justinlynch3 Actually even lifting a truck (for higher ride height) is less work than converting from 2WD to 4WD. But yeah, I know it's just a game, but then again if I'm going to play it I want things like this realistic or at least reasonable. I do agree with you about the fuel capacity. If the devs artificially give 4WD trucks smaller tanks (that can't be upgraded), it's going to be another source of disappointment.

last edited by Unster

Ooooooo new word upgradable 👌🏻

@Unster said in October Community Update:

@zamal Well, here's what I'd suggest in place. Instead of being able to spend money to upgrade an existing 2WD truck to 4WD, allow the selling of the 2WD truck to help you buy another one that has 4WD. That wouldn't be a drastic change and there would still be an upgrade path, but it would be more realistic.

Totally agree!
If devs really really (who asked for it???) want to implement such overhaul upgrades- ok, but the price must be HUGE, so you think twice - upgrade or sell buy new (used) vehicle. It was partly in GT or Forza - huge price, but if you really really want...ok. And not on too complex vehicles like 8×8.
And for sure it must be followed by proper visual changes...

And on most old vehicles youcant find parts for upgrade - so you need to find one or two vehicles on scrapyard, buy it and make 1 vehicle from 3....so....it not only about money but also huge time consumption...how to implement it in game...?

last edited by Stazco

@Stazco Actually, "Upgrade system" was asked for quite a lot (loudly?), so now we are just about to get it.
On the other hand, I agree that conversion RWD into AWD is a bit far from decent upgrades that normal person do to its vehicle.
On the third hand ( 😃 ) what else you can upgrade? propelling system is pretty crucial thing in this game and without it, as I watch vehicle presentations, we can easily end up with another AW DLC, this time with graphic overhaul.

...and some people were wonder what i mean by the devs and company listening to the "right" part of the community when it comes to wants, needs and suggestions. sometimes if enough speak loudly, they are the only ones heard. even more so if others are not really listening to or thinking about what they are saying/asking for. still though some things need to be tried and explored, sometimes things work other times not so much, but change has to happen if it is going to evolve. will some finer points be missed? yes.

converting vehicles? yes and easily imo. with just a cutter and welder a person can do a lot with. only real restrictions would be material and maybe imagination. for the game? yeah there will be some compromises visually i figure, but as Sodoma said. if changes do not happen we would most likely end up with another visual "DLC" or upgrade. who should be listened to and who shouldn't? idk and i imagine the devs and company really wouldn't know, that is why it is "us" that have to get more involved in what "we" want. otherwise we just most likely will have the same situation that happened to the mud in the game on that very first "change the community wanted" when the whole thing started. which those of you that have been around that long will know full well what i am talking about. the mud has never been the same or as good since imo.

i admit i have not had much to say lately about the game, but i am just watching where things are going. overall it is good, things are moving and changes made. now some of the finer points along the way? meh they are what they are and we just have to work through it. i am not a fan of some of the direction the game seems to be going, but i am only one person with one opinion.

last edited by 8up local

There is an entire industry for 4x4 conversion for cargo and passenger vans, though with the newest generation of vans almost everyone now offers 4wd from factory that might dry up. It's not unreasonable to convert a rwd 2wd body-on-frame truck, consider the fact that the front wheel drive components of any 4x4 truck are essentially PTO "add-ons" anyway.

This is not a statement about whether I want 4x4 conversion in game, just pointing out that it is not as unreasonable as it seems.

@grubdumpling said in October Community Update:

There is an entire industry for 4x4 conversion for cargo and passenger vans, though with the newest generation of vans almost everyone now offers 4wd from factory that might dry up. It's not unreasonable to convert a rwd 2wd body-on-frame truck, consider the fact that the front wheel drive components of any 4x4 truck are essentially PTO "add-ons" anyway.

This is not a statement about whether I want 4x4 conversion in game, just pointing out that it is not as unreasonable as it seems.

Like I said it's common enough in small trucks. There are a whole community of people out there that do nothing but customize massive offroad rigs and hit the trails/mud.

I don't think converting small vehicles is the issue some people has. Instead, it seems to be conversion of big trucks like semi's that's being called into question.

If terms of pickups and jeeps hell you can do anything to those. 2WD conversion to 4WD, Automation conversion to manual, anything you can think of it's been done to a pickup/jeep. But does that relate to bigger vehicles?

Well yes. It's nothing to do with size, all the parts are the same, and in fact get simpler and more interchangeable between manufacturers as they get bigger.

And for the record, I was not talking about dudes welding stuff together in a shed to create a one-off prototype, there is/was professional installed aftermarket 4x4 conversions of vans.

Hydraulic powered All-wheel drive for heavy duty trucks - EZ Trac

this is the simplest solution for a All-wheel drive conversion

Youtube Video

@thombuggy Huh, well then I guess it's not entirely unreasonable to do it. But like others said, it's just easier to buy a 4WD from the factory.

@Unster Based on my technical education, I presume that there will be some speed restriction if nothing else.
As a help to get yourself unstucked, an extra push at certain moment, it definitely can help, but I can't see it as regular AWD solution.
There is a reason why this hydraulic power transfer is used for some construction vehicles, but I've never heard about such solution for regular truck.
And if we keep an idea of "logging with ex-military trucks (as a cheap and sturdy solution)", such front axle could easily triple price of your vehicle 😃

@Sodoma

And if we keep an idea of "logging with ex-military trucks (as a cheap and sturdy solution)", such front axle could easily triple price of your vehicle 😃

But, such military trucks already have AWD, so you shouldn't have to upgrade anything on them, no?

I for my part have to agree that the game should be as realistic as possible, that is why i started playing Spintires in the first place "realistic mud simulation" ( i heard about the guy who made the algorithm in his university paper and thought that is awesome). I would like for them to build upon that core part of the game. (which they did with adding snow and ice, more realistic tire models, better physics, better visuals etc.)
AWD conversions, as many already said are in theory possible but more expensive then buying a new AWD vehicle, why not leave it as an end game option? just to get more playtime, you can drive those RWD trucks as AWD and see how they behave/cope with the terrain.

@TheSaltySalt said in October Community Update:

I for my part have to agree that the game should be as realistic as possible, that is why i started playing Spintires in the first place "realistic mud simulation" ( i heard about the guy who made the algorithm in his university paper and thought that is awesome). I would like for them to build upon that core part of the game. (which they did with adding snow and ice, more realistic tire models, better physics, better visuals etc.)
AWD conversions, as many already said are in theory possible but more expensive then buying a new AWD vehicle, why not leave it as an end game option? just to get more playtime, you can drive those RWD trucks as AWD and see how they behave/cope with the terrain.

I'd try Spintires if they gave it a console release.

@justinlynch3 Why on console? The game practically can run on any pc, and controllers work on pc too.

@TheSaltySalt I assume that like my old PC, theirs can barley run YouTube let alone game lol

@kingnightshadow i guess @justinlynch3 does not know what spintires is, its the original game, not to mistaken for the latest "mudrunner" or the upcomming "snowrunner" game.

@TheSaltySalt I think he knows, as I've mentioned it here myself. ST has undergone a significant makeover this year and won't necessarily run on an old PC. It has better graphics than the current MR, at least in my opinion.

@Unster better? lol no, but maybe stylistically u prefer ST. that fake rain they add is pretty crap tbh