November Community Update

@Sodoma points seen, but we got something they don't. Listen up fan boys!.........................yeah I got nothing lol. I've seen plenty of off road semis and military vehicles. Especially when I lived in the sticks but you do have a point. It's far more common there than it is here. Thank you for not biting my head off, as I said I wasn't trying to offend anyone.

I hope we get a Toyota Hilux to go with that other artic exploration truck for one reason, another truck with massive tires that looks awesome. Some of my first times seeing the artic had similar trucks in them. Plus it would give a smaller yet equally capable counter to the one already confirmed to be in. Maybe it's the cheaper option and once you've completed a certain task then we get the ability to have the 6x6 one. I haven't said it's name cus idk what it is. That's just my ideas tho lol as a child if it had big tires and could make a mess or move really fast, it was perfect XD

@Jayson I loved the c-255 the westernstar was a close second for me but I hated how easily it's slick, packed dirt trail tires lost grip. I hope the c-255 can make a return in snowrunner. It was a good truck.

@kingnightshadow
"FORUM - In ancient Roman towns, the forum was a square where people met to discuss business and political matters."
😉

@Jayson said in November Community Update:

@kingnightshadow Don't get me wrong, I like the russian trucks. Since I am a console player I've always wanted a fast good boggin vehicle. The American trucks are my favorite. The Russian trucks are just too underpowered and slow. They are good in mud but I see a better alternative. I like to use the GMC 950 and put a b-66 in the bed and literally go anywhere in high gear floating effortlessly Ithe mud at high spedd. Seriously I would love the C-255 a hell of alot more if it could keep up with a western star as of speed and torque. The D-535 for example, is an awesome Russian 8x8. The thing just drinks too much damn fuel!! Rather use the skidder as it gets better fuel economy (correct me if im wrong) Now if your goin on a logging trip I usually take the C-255 but I die inside for how slow it is. I hope I'm making sense it's 2 in the morning and hope y'all have a good day today! Thanks for reading my nonsense

To be fair this is meant to be offroad simulation with big trucks, not ATV's. These vehicles aren't meant to "float over" anything, neither is this meant to be a fast game. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's not what the game is meant to be.

On a personal level I hear now and then of people that like the Western Star 6900. To me the thing gets stuck to easily, even with 6X6 and diff-lock I fail to see to much improvement from the road haulers. I'd run circles on that thing in a C-255. However I try to play the game more realistic as well, using low gear and crawling offroad like I assume the devs meant for you to do. So the last of speed combined with the 6900 low traction is probably a bad combination.

someone say Tatra? ok, but how about something a little different then?

Tatra 815 TP in olive drab of course, no orange or yellow please. 😉
alt text

last edited by 8up local

@8up-local Ahem, that is 813 and I guess some earlier model (because of that outcomming grill, usually it is flat)

@kingnightshadow said in November Community Update:

I hope we get a Toyota Hilux to go with that other artic exploration truck for one reason, another truck with massive tires that looks awesome. Some of my first times seeing the artic had similar trucks in them. Plus it would give a smaller yet equally capable counter to the one already confirmed to be in. Maybe it's the cheaper option and once you've completed a certain task then we get the ability to have the 6x6 one. I haven't said it's name cus idk what it is. That's just my ideas tho lol as a child if it had big tires and could make a mess or move really fast, it was perfect XD

Toyota Hilux. The best selling truck of desert bandits world wide. lol
alt text

But no seriously, that is a awesome suggestion. A older model would fit into SnowRunner beautifully.
alt text

While we're talking about scout vehicles. How about a pretty iconic American offroader that was missing from MudRunner, the Jeep Cherokee.
alt text

@Sodoma said in November Community Update:

based on AW DLC, US trucks are not that great and by a principle, they rely on roads quite a lot.

I wouldn't judge US offroad trucks based on AW. AW was mostly about road trucks. Looks like SR will feature more US trucks that are actually for offroad use.

@Unster Fair point, but... 🙂
I said "by a principle"
What I meant is, that US trucks are offroad modified roadtrucks, because they rely on roads, that are common there.
Main focus of that soviet stuff we had so far is deal with whatever, because roads are much less common there. As a result you have offroad beasts that you can use on roads (if you are brave enough).

I am not saying, that there are NO capable offroad trucks in US, that is flat stupid, but trend is (I believe) as I described above...

@Sodoma Yes, US logging probably relies much more on roads than Russian logging, and actual roads are more common in the US. But there are some pure offroad US trucks, such as Oshkosh, that aren't just modifications of road truck models. I don't think Oshkosh has been presented for SR yet, but there was something that looked like it in the trailer as I recall.

@Unster
Yeah, did some googling and yes, something with that unusual wheelbase construction was there (1 front, 3 rear).
After several pictures of those, google smuggle some MZKT between them, so it is not just me who is biased 😃

And yes, I probably am, because even that Oshkosh seems "roady" to me. Being that a "heavy tractor", compare that to the "Kolob" from local presentation. I just can't help it...
But I don't want to start flamewar..! 🤐

@Sodoma This is the kind of offroad vehicle I had in mind. This is an ST screenshot from one of the other threads here:

https://forums.focus-home.com/assets/uploads/files/1573792155909-20191029210216_1.jpg

Is that still "roady" to you?

@Sodoma

Oshkosh is no joke, from what I have seen. They may not look as rugged and indestructible as Slavic trucks, but they get their jobs done quite nicely. Also, there are other models which have the classic 8x8 formula:

Oshkosh MK48

2017-12-07-10.11.52-940x705.jpg

Tell me that one doesn't look just as mean as many Slavic trucks.

Also, this rather new 8x8 formula, with on axle in the front and three in the back, isn't something the Russians don't know about:

Ural-63708

tyaga4-3.jpg

Like you said, no flamewar intentions by my side either. I'm just trying to find the middle ground here. Last but not least, I think we can all agree the US Army will choose some pretty potent trucks to make their way through uncharted territories.

Sources for images:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-oshkosh-mk-48-dragon-wagon/
https://2drive.ru/ural-6308-8x8/

last edited by FirebonE

@Unster said in November Community Update:

@Sodoma This is the kind of offroad vehicle I had in mind. This is an ST screenshot from one of the other threads here:

https://forums.focus-home.com/assets/uploads/files/1573792155909-20191029210216_1.jpg

Is that still "roady" to you?

I am pretty sure those tires aren't exactly stock either. Maybe not even used in real life. I couldn't find pictures of these Oshkosh models sporting such tires. Not to say the truck is bad, though. I am just pointing out this feature which would really tip the balance in off-road, in my opinion.

last edited by FirebonE

@FirebonE I agree, those tires don't look stock. But either way, it would be a very capable offroad truck.

@Unster said in November Community Update:

@FirebonE I agree, those tires don't look stock. But either way, it would be a very capable offroad truck.

Actually, after some research:

GlobalHET_2_HR.jpg

Sure, this one is 6x6, but I see no reason why an 8x8 version would not be able to use them.

Source for image:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshkosh_M1070

last edited by FirebonE

@Unster Yes..? 😓
I just can't help it, it somehow falls in that road "box" in my head...
But that one that @FirebonE posted, yes, I see that pretty offroady 🙂

But when you post both of them, look at ground clearance of that 6x6 Oshkosh and 8x8 Ural - it is like one expose 1/3 of wheels and other one 2/3.
And now look at that 8x8 MK48...
See the source of my bias?

But we are a bit OT here in November community update... 🤐

@Sodoma It depends on what the manufacturer wants to prioritize. Higher ground clearance = higher chance to tip over on uneven terrain.

@Sodoma said in November Community Update:

@kingnightshadow
"FORUM - In ancient Roman towns, the forum was a square where people met to discuss business and political matters."
😉

Yes! Hence "Blandford Forum" in Dorset, UK. 🙂

last edited by 8x8