Terrain Physics Blog

@Calebwoodard said in Terrain Physics Blog:

What do you guys think about tracked vehicles in the game? We could get them with mods on the original spintires, so I dont see why they wouldn't be possible in snowrunner. Also, what appears to be an excavator has been spotted in the top left corner of a screenshot they released. I'm really hoping its driveable and not just a prop. Would be nice to have a dozer as well.

it would be good but i will not die (as most russian VKontakte base, yelling at devs β€œwhere is our, promised in some forum, gusenitcy?!”) if not.
better to have working mirrors and weather

@Stazco
Honestly I see no reason why there should only be one function or the other. The mirrors have nothing to do with the weather and tracked vehicles, and I assume it's easier to add tracks than the weather system we would like, so not just rain/snow animations, but real rain affecting the ground, forming puddles, accumulation of snow...
Personally I would prefer such a weather system instead of tracks, but on the other hand, if the game engine is to be so realistic, then shouldn't tracks just work based on physics?
All this and more can be added over time, we'll see.

@knight25 said in Terrain Physics Blog:

The mirrors have nothing to do with the weather and tracked vehicles, and I assume it's easier to add tracks than the weather system

Except for working hours of dev team and when you start taking all related stuff into consideration, what is easier could be VERY relative

That doesn't mean that I don't want to see badass Bat-M as a recovery vehicle 😈

@Stazco Yea I'm just hoping they give us a good game. If its tracks or weather I would pick weather as well because tracks could be added in some sort of DLC. But if we dont get weather at launch we probably arent getting it at all.

@justinlynch3 said in Terrain Physics Blog:

Secondly mud/snow tires are usually bigger and wider, which effects your ability to corner and steer in a negative way. A vehicle with big wide offroad mud/snow tires will have a decreased turning circle compared to a vehicle with smaller tires

I don't think tire width affects the turning radius, but it does affect the force needed to steer. That's most likely the reason ATV's have smaller tires in the front (probably no power steering). Wider tires are more useful where the power is applied to the ground, usually the rear.

@Unster said in Terrain Physics Blog:

@justinlynch3 said in Terrain Physics Blog:

Secondly mud/snow tires are usually bigger and wider, which effects your ability to corner and steer in a negative way. A vehicle with big wide offroad mud/snow tires will have a decreased turning circle compared to a vehicle with smaller tires

I don't think tire width affects the turning radius, but it does affect the force needed to steer. That's most likely the reason ATV's have smaller tires in the front (probably no power steering). Wider tires are more useful where the power is applied to the ground, usually the rear.

Actually ATV's have had power steering since like the 2010's.

I don't think it's true that snow tires are larger than summer or all season or all weather tires. It would be fair to say that larger wider tires offer more traction, but the tolerances withing the wheel wells of vehicles don't allow much wiggle room. Normally when you buy tires for a vehicle it is advisable to use the identical size.

@justinlynch3 OK. With or without power steering, skinnier tires are easier to steer.

@grubdumpling Absolutely, snow tires should be the same size as regular tires on the same vehicle. I assume Justin was talking generally, since offroad tires are typically on trucks as opposed to sedans.

I actually think when it comes to normal driving (not racing) offroad tires would make no difference in traction on asphalt compared to all-seasons or road tires. My past experience with snow tires in real life supports that as well. Driving with them on asphalt felt fine and the same as summer tires. They only wear quicker.

So I think even in this game offroad tires should have the same traction on asphalt as highway tires. The bigger difference should be in wear. I've seen this in real-life construction equipment footage as well. The operator said those offroad tires wear quick on the road and are expensive. Never heard anyone say they slip around on asphalt.

@Unster As long as I understand your point, I think that this would be against gameplay. Having same traction on road as road tires makes them ultimatively better and thus road tires useless.
Wear is fine, as long as such mechanic is in game, so far I have no info about that.
So without a wear and suggested same road traction, only option is higher fuel consumption (known feature from previous game) and that has to be ridiculous to make you consider option of road tires when no offroading is on schedule.

I still vote for lower road traction as game mechanic...

@Sodoma and price. Special non-road tires can be locked behind a higher price, making them an appealing option, only if you're going to go mudding or if you have a high level and can afford whatever you want.

@deathcoreboy1 that makes them just another achievement - once you have it, you're fine.
my suggestion makes them useful under some circumstances, and therefore road tires too (under other circumstances).
As a result, you have richer gameplay, because you have to plan your rides with surface and proper tires in mind.

@Sodoma Dunno man, probably I'm a bit susceptible with that "road traction" topic.

I prefer to look at it from a realism perspective than a game balancing perspective. After all this is supposed to be a driving simulator, not some fighting game (where game balancing is very important). I'd rather have offroad tires be offset by higher cost & wear (or fuel consumption) than worse traction.

last edited by Unster

@deathcoreboy1 said in Terrain Physics Blog:

@Sodoma Dunno man, probably I'm a bit susceptible with that "road traction" topic.

I think you mean "suspicious". Yeah, I agree. In normal driving offroad tires should have the same traction on pavement. They may feel a little more "floaty". I'm not talking about some extreme offroad tire.

@Unster Yes, exactly. I'm with ya there.I wouldn't want to sacrifice realism and accuracy for gameplay balancing.

@deathcoreboy1 By the way, MR has a problem with mud traction because of this false assumption that offroad tires should have worse traction on pavement than default or highway tires. I recently discovered that offroad tires offer no advantage in mud over highway tires. You can verify this by comparing mud traction between the C-255 and 256. It's about the same. This is because MR (ST too) used BodyFriction for both pavement & mud, while SubstanceFriction is only for mud and has a limited effect. By making BodyFriction the same for all tire types, offroad tires actually get an advantage in mud over road tires, as they should.

@Unster
@deathcoreboy1
At this point I am sure that we will see, it is very unlikely that any suggestion coming from here can make it into a game at its release πŸ˜ƒ
But I stand on my point on this.
Lifespan of such tires would has to be VERY short to make sense in game, cost is questionable, but I have bad XP with moneysystems in general (first 10% of game I can't afford anything, next 20% it is somewhat OK and the rest I own Fort Knox or something, again and again, regardless of title, so...)

@Unster Interesting! so to make offroad tires worse on pavement, they made road tires as good as offroad ones in mud?

@Sodoma said in Terrain Physics Blog:

Lifespan of such tires would has to be VERY short to make sense in game

Agreed. That part would have to be unrealistic to make sense. That should be OK, since time is sped up as well. Fuel consumption is also unrealistically high, but I'm OK with that.

I have low expectations of anything suggested on this forum making it to the game, but it doesn't hurt to voice our opinions anyway.