Terrain Physics Blog

@Jellyfoosh Does the game has an weather system ? or at least falling snow ?

What's up with the arm of the driver in this picture? is he blocking the sun?
alt text

@deathcoreboy1 said in Terrain Physics Blog:

Most likely some idle animation like in Mudrunner.

Thank you for the details.

alt text

It sure looks like it, nice spot!!
That would be a nice touch, actually. Him blocking the sun if you're driving towards it.
I only hope his hand won't always be visible in cockpit view, obstruckting your vision (hehe). Or maybe, if they position his hand just right as to actually block the sun for the player, it would be fine with the hand being visible in cockpit view. I'd just like in-cockpit hands be toggleable in the Settings. 🙂

@TheDeestroyer said in Terrain Physics Blog:

Most likely some idle animation like in Mudrunner.
Perhaps you're right... perhaps not though. We don't know yet! 😉

last edited by 8x8

@deathcoreboy1
most probably animation when vehicle lost control on slippery road, bouncing left/right.

@Jellyfoosh said in Terrain Physics Blog:

When driving in deep snow however, you will see snow chunks flying from under your wheels, and your vehicle will behave differently. This means that the vehicle will sink into the snow until it reaches the ground below.

Awesome detailed presentation on the terrain physics. As mentioned above, the only thing that's missing is mention of dry pavement physics. Hopefully they won't be as slippery as they are in MR.

Regarding reaching the ground below deep snow, this sounds like a simplification. In real life tires don't reach the ground below snow, they compress the snow into packed snow which remains on the surface (assuming a hard surface). But as long as the physics behave accordingly and the sinking to ground level is visual only then that's OK.

"Note: this is new to SnowRunner; in MudRunner all surfaces had the same base viscosity."

If I'm understanding this correctly then it
explains why pave in mudrunner is so slippery.

@Unster
What about bottom of the car? Is the snow from under the car pushed outside or what?

And vehicles sinks into the solid ground even if the snow is 1 meter deep and a light car puts on it?

@Ktaco No, I'm pretty sure he was talking about "substances", i.e. mud. Pavement would have infinite viscosity. MR's problem is that the friction value for pavement is set too low and/or wheel spin happens too easily.

@knight25 Very valid point. I wasn't even thinking of snow that deep. Perhaps we won't see snow like that in the game.

one thing i can point out is that the rocks look a thousand times better and hopefully they are not glitchy and unable to crawl like in mr

@Jayson said in Terrain Physics Blog:

one thing i can point out is that the rocks look a thousand times better and hopefully they are not glitchy and unable to crawl like in mr

I wonder if that's why ST has higher pavement traction than MR. Rock friction was adjusted there for easier rock climbing. But then again even the legacy version had better traction than in MR.

This is actually one thing I had in mind when I said I wouldn't mind another patch for MR before SR comes out (in another thread). Increasing pavement friction shouldn't be difficult. But if hard dirt uses the same value as pavement then it could make steep slopes too easy to climb, something to watch out for if you want realism.

BTW, I love that SR mud will have visual wetness to it. That's something that's missing in both MR and ST.

last edited by Unster

@deathcoreboy1 hey, thanks for inviting completely missed the thread
@Pavel thanks for ur hard work man, we cant wait to appreciate it in about 2 months time

so far all of this looks amazing and very interesting, dark mud looks super realistic and so does the snow, in alaska video it didnt look quite as well as it does in these screenshots, couple days ago i was worried that it would be harder to get into map-editor of SR with all those new ground types and what not, but we just got a brand new free tutorial for starters like me

idk what else to say great blog, oh yeah cant wait to make alien signs in cornfield 😂 🤣

511515151.jpg

So this came to mind when I saw this image
1581343942918-9.jpg

I really like that they've made it more realistic with how physics work and gave a visual tell for casual players and veterans alike. Will definitely make planing your route more fun and easier

@zamal
maybe its a weed, easy money with scouts to buy first 8x8?)

@Stazco I read that as " maybe it's weed " lol Snoop Dogg has a farm and it's in snowrunner XD

That is an almost fanatical attention to detail. I love it! Cannot wait for this to release. Absolutely brilliant work all round 😄