Terrain Physics Blog

@TheSaltySalt said in Terrain Physics Blog:

@Unster i should have copied more for you to understand: "when it comes to terrain physics and its behaviour in relation to vehicles, our goal is to be at the top of the industry" here you go.πŸ˜‹

No that's OK, I did read the whole thing in the original post. Like I said it sounds good, but it still leaves questions unanswered.

rdr2 had good snow physics too, from visual standpoint

@Unster I agree that the mud in MR was to "easy". and i sure hope they went for realism since the original algorithm was by Pavel was a realistic simulation of mud. I will never forget my first run in ST and getting stuck.

@TheSaltySalt I didn't play ST back then, but I have heard of the deep, sticking mud in the original release. If you're on the PC version, you can get something similar with these tweaks:
https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/39125/how-to-make-the-mud-more-realistic-pc-version?page=1

Unfortunately there's nothing we end users can do about the slippery pavement without also making vehicles unrealistically capable in climbing steep slopes.

last edited by Unster

Another reason I question the accuracy of the physics in SR is that many vehicles will have permanent diff lock. This is highly unrealistic. Vehicles when turning need the outer wheels to spin faster than the inner wheels, unless the surface is slippery. This is pointing to ongoing slippery pavement in SR. 😞

Great job devs!! I hope that Aside from having the ability to change tires to also have the ability to set the pressure on them aswell as this does make a huge difference in grip.

Suggestions if i may for future..(hope it has been added)
Gotta have a challenge mode in multiplayer mode. I.e. have a point to point traverse where picking your gear/truck can only be done once and you are limited to what you can pick... have it to where if all team members make it you collectively make a bigger profit. Bigger load bigger profit, more risk less choices available ect ect... you can make this a monthly challenge or w.e....

@Speed said in Terrain Physics Blog:

Great job devs!! I hope that Aside from having the ability to change tires to also have the ability to set the pressure on them aswell as this does make a huge difference in grip.

I don't expect the physics simulation to be that detailed. We'll be lucky if swapping tires makes a perceptible & realistic difference in traction.

@Unster said in Terrain Physics Blog:

@deathcoreboy1 said in Terrain Physics Blog:

@knight25 I donΒ΄t think that something like this can have poor grip on asphalt:

69f8e19b-fa97-4a27-affa-2ec2bee95159-image.png

I've been reading about it and surely it seems like it has little to zero difference to regular road tires in terms of grip on asphalt.

In the US a lot of people have tires like this on their pickup trucks and SUV's. They are louder and certainly not meant for racing, but poor traction is not what they have. They do wear faster than regular tires, since they are for offroad.

on road grip does have a difference depending on tread design. personal experience example: the old Bridgestone Dueler M/T design used to just be big solid lugs, no siping. wet pavement it would be a nightmare sometimes because it would slip and slide if pushed a bit. next set i had was the same tire, but they changed the design. slightly different lug shape, but similar. however now they make them with siping (the little narrow cuts in the tread pattern on the lugs themselves) which in turn gives more "edges" to grab the road and terrain. the new ones perform much better in wet on road conditions, plus side it also gives a bit more traction off road as well. πŸ‘πŸ½

last edited by 8up local

Thank you Pavel Zagrebeiniy for this and what's the release date for the game and it's 2020 . Please relay the information,when you are not busy

@8up-local No intension to disprove your expiriences, but on tarmac tire holds by friction and "wear" of rubber itself. No "edges" help on hard surface. So by what you wrote, I guess some change in compound of tire is more likely

true they may have changed compounds,. which does play a very big part of a tires traction abilities, but will also have to quote a quick google search "Siping is the process of cutting thin slits across the surface of a tire to improve traction for driving in snowy, wet or icy conditions. Siping can also help manage tire heat when the road is overly hot." i would have to say from "my experience" it was a modest improvement, but an improvement none the less. which was my only point. when it comes to the game itself then siping only has an effect if it is coded into the game for it. πŸ˜†

@8up-local If it is what I think it is (slices to a block of rubber, without cutting out any material) it is roughly doing same thing as softer coumpound does.
By a slice, one big block is effectively turned into two independent blocks, that can slide against each other (heat up via friction) and thus follow better actual shape of hard surface, provide better traction as a result.

Speaking of game, I am not friend of wild spinning on tarmac in MR way, on the other hand, in the sake of game mechanics, off-road tires should have noticably less traction than road tires (on hard road).
LESS, not NONE! πŸ˜ƒ

@Sodoma said in Terrain Physics Blog:

@8up-local If it is what I think it is (slices to a block of rubber, without cutting out any material) it is roughly doing same thing as softer coumpound does.
By a slice, one big block is effectively turned into two independent blocks, that can slide against each other (heat up via friction) and thus follow better actual shape of hard surface, provide better traction as a result.

Speaking of game, I am not friend of wild spinning on tarmac in MR way, on the other hand, in the sake of game mechanics, off-road tires should have noticably less traction than road tires (on hard road).
LESS, not NONE! πŸ˜ƒ

I dunno, this is to a much smaller degree but the concept is the same. I've driven plenty of ATV's, and have taken lots of paved roads. And honestly I can't say ATV's lost any traction on pavement, if anything they gained traction.

Generally offroad (and snow) tires are made out of a softer compound to help grip better in slick conditions. This is why it's highly recommended to NOT use All Season tires in winter. Because while a All Season tire may have slightly more aggressive thread then a straight up Summer tire, All Seasons tires (so they can last in warmer weather) are still made from a harder compound, and lose grip in the snow.

Usually there are 2 downsides to using a Mud/Snow tire on a hard surface like roads. First because they are a softer tire, they will wear out much faster. They are made for mud or snow, they are not a highway tire.

Secondly mud/snow tires are usually bigger and wider, which effects your ability to corner and steer in a negative way. A vehicle with big wide offroad mud/snow tires will have a decreased turning circle compared to a vehicle with smaller tires. Going back to the ATV example, this very reason is why ATV's have skinny tires in the front and only put big wide tires on the back.

But as far as a actual lose of traction going from dirt/mud/snow onto pavement. I can't say I've ever experienced that. Not unless there was ice, but we aren't talking about ice here.

@justinlynch3

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you, but I don't think anyone here thinks/says that off-road tires have worse grip on asphalt than on mud/snow/sand etc, but it is about off-road tires having worse grip on asphalt than road tires.
😡

So I'm stupid lol I for some genius reason thought April came before March XD

last edited by kingnightshadow

@kingnightshadow no worries, same thing happened to me LOL

What do you guys think about tracked vehicles in the game? We could get them with mods on the original spintires, so I dont see why they wouldn't be possible in snowrunner. Also, what appears to be an excavator has been spotted in the top left corner of a screenshot they released. I'm really hoping its driveable and not just a prop. Would be nice to have a dozer as well.

@Unster I also want to Point out that this is something we have never seen to such detail in a video game.

That's all absolutely stunning, thanks a lot for all the detailed information!