Regions Blog

Will you brave the wilds, driver?

The SnowRunner experience isn’t only about driving iconic vehicles with authentic off-road physics and environments - it’s also to explore the edge of the civilized world, wrestle the elements, and do the jobs no one else will even attempt. It’s exploration and discovery and struggle.

alt text

For this reason, the maps of SnowRunner have been improved drastically in terms of variety, size, and detail, with some being four times larger than MudRunner maps. The size of these maps lends itself very well to co-op, and we’re particularly excited to see what you’ll all get up to in these massive playgrounds.

The three regions in SnowRunner are Michigan and Alaska in the U.S., and Taymyr in Russia. While there is a natural progression to provide you with a stable rise in difficulty, you’re free to explore the regions in whatever order you like. Pick any road - or don’t! Whatever you do, you’ll still find easy tasks in the hardest region and difficult tasks in the easiest region.

Split into a cluster of four individual maps per region (except Taymyr, where it’s three), the regions will provide you with a huge swathe of land to cover, and they’re all crafted to feel fresh and distinct from each other. Map design, sounds and music, and overarching backstory all work together to set the tone for each place.

As you make your way through a map, completing jobs and finding upgrades and vehicles in the wild to expand your fleet, you’ll find that some contracts span across more than one map. To travel between them, you must drive to the edge and use the tunnel that leads to the next. Certain paths might require you to complete a related task in order to pass.

2020-01-24-12_13_51-SnowRunner-__-0.20.SNOW_HIGHWAY_RELEASE.jpg
What’s on the other side? Only one way to find out!

Michigan

Michigan is where your SnowRunner adventure begins (but as mentioned, you are by no means obliged to complete it before moving on to Alaska and Taymyr). From forested valleys to marshes rich in oil, you’ll be taking on a variety of tasks for the businesses competing for land.

2020-01-24-14_59_05-SnowRunner-__-0.20.SNOW_HIGHWAY_RELEASE.jpg

This is America like many don’t know it - vast, wild, and dangerous. Not completely devoid of occupation, you’ll come across quiet motels, silent border towns, and lone run-down shacks. While there is no shortage of mud and rough terrain, you’ll find somewhat more well-maintained roads here than in Alaska and Taymyr.

Alaska

Welcome to The Last Frontier! In MudRunner you experienced mud, rocks, and rivers - in SnowRunner you will experience more. Deep snow, frosty mountain peaks, and iced over lakes and roads. Chain up your tires or risk sliding right off a narrow mountain pass.

2020-01-27-12_47_24-SnowRunner-__-0.20.SNOW_HIGHWAY_RELEASE.jpg

While the natural wilderness of Alaska dominates the landscape, you’ll still find the beginnings of human infrastructure here. A dock, truck stop, and even an airport can be found if you look in the right place. The great Alaskan pipeline stretches for miles on end through every map in the region, and you’re here to make sure it gets done.

Taymyr

The most challenging region in SnowRunner, Taymyr lies in the deep north of Russia, where great swamps and forests hold abandoned Soviet era architecture as it’s slowly swallowed into the ground.

As you rediscover the rugged beauty of these remote forests, you’ll be able to take on (among other things) contracts to find oil using a special seismograph module.

2020-01-27-15_03_05-SnowRunner-__-0.20.SNOW_HIGHWAY_RELEASE.jpg
The search for oil will take you to places long forgotten.

Don’t hold your breath looking for asphalt roads in Taymyr, as most of them will be dirt or even mud paths, requiring the right vehicle and wheels. Bogs, lakes, and forests make up the majority of Taymyr.

alt text

Thank you for reading our Regions Blog! We can’t wait for you all to explore these places, alone or with your friends. A lot of time and effort has gone into making these locations varied, authentic, and fun to traverse. Balancing a sense of both freedom and progression was a challenge which we believe we have risen to.

We’ll see you in the Snow!

The game is looking amazing guys!

OK, I already love Taymyr with a softspot fot Alaska... 2/3, good score 🤗

@Jellyfoosh Can we expect some gameplay videos soon ?

Hey @Jellyfoosh, can you expand on how the gateways work? Will you be able to drive through the tunel or will there be a load screen that takes you to the other map?

last edited by SR71

Well, they said more than 15 maps in the beginning, now its 11... Whatever

95e0e261-aeee-4948-9389-8387ac018c35-image.png

Btw what is the truck in first picture looks like zil-131, but I can't quite identify it

alt text

Edit: its Step310E 😞

last edited by zamal

I wonder how the regions will work for modders making maps.

Can you make a region as a mod og is it only single maps?
And how many maps in can you make?

I wonder 😃

last edited by haenzee

Very excited to play and mod this game, the environments looks incredible.

Looking forward to the weekly updates as well!

Vamos ficar ricos encontrando petróleo! Amei a ambientação do jogo.

Редактор карт будет?! Игра будет продаваться в EGS, как же будут обстоять дела с модами?! Workshop в EGS нет!

thx for update!

11 maps instead of promised 15...bad, but lets wait for release, i believe each map will be full of activities and big sized! plus we will have these phased dlcs, more map to go i hope.

as for maps- i really dont like this crash bandicoot style - upgrade crates, scattered on map. its not like you found some junk vehicle, tow it to garage (or dismantle it onsite having proper tools) and get some parts or wanted equipment like winch..you just reach some point on map (some island) and...get points, parts?...will see...

“tool crates” - ...maybe, but only if its found in proper place...

“weather sensor” - thats this?? dont tease us with the word Weather...

and these huge trailers for scouts (barrels with hammer and these things with buhanka) - its a bit unrealistic to tow it offroad, even in cities such big trailers rarely used..its easier to use proper lorry for such load, not jeeps...but i have a choice not to use it at all, and its good!)

alt text

last edited by Stazco

@Stazco wow WOW... wus wrong with crash bandicoot man? 😠

I wonder if there will be some sort of fast travel system between maps? Obviously it couldn't be used for delivering things, but sometimes you fire up the game when you just have an hour and want to play on a specific map for a bit, and it would kinda suck to have to spend 30mins getting to that map.

I'm also liking the different types of cargo too, and that it looks we have options on how to load it so we can use a variety of vehicles and trailers to deliver things. Should help a lot with replayability.

Seeing the maps also makes me wonder about how multiplayer/co-op works...

-When we join the host's game do we work for the host and do jobs they select?
-Do we have an option to play on the same map but do our own jobs?
-Do we bring our own trucks or drive the hosts? An option for the host to lend a truck to use would be nice.
-Do we get money/exp for helping the host complete their contracts?
-Can we pick up the upgrades and get trucks when we aren't the host and take them back to our own game?
-Are jobs adjusted for the number of players? (Bigger shipments for bigger groups)

I also really hope we get to hear about the first DLC in the season pass or maybe in general how DLC will work before the game releases, as well as maybe a rough-ish timeline for their release. Will we get the 4 phases over 6 months? A year? Just a general idea so we can make an educated decision on whether we need to buy it straight away or whether those with limited funds can wait a bit.

Man...you can’t make everyone happy I guess. I on the other hand am extremely excited!!! Already ordered the deluxe version and I’ll buy modded dlc as well. Anything to help you guys keep this genre progressing. Don’t forget to throw in some crawlers here and there 👌🏼👍🏼.

@Jellyfoosh said in Regions Blog:

Whatever you do, you’ll still find easy tasks in the hardest region and difficult tasks in the easiest region

So , This is how Difficulty work in the game ?? . In Mudrunner we can select the map difficulty. or is this just about job difficulty you are talking ? am bit confused 😯

@Stazco I'm with you here. I wouldn't like to find crates scattered on the map for no reason. Is not like I go offroading in the real world and magically find a box full of bumpers and tire-sets

@Morbid

Regarding mutiplayer my friends and I were really hoping for a career mode. The career mode could also be single player with less start up money.

So basically you and you friends would have to start up your own company and build it from the ground up (you basically start at a garage and that's your company's office). You would be given a certain amount of money which would be enough for you and you friends to buy 1 (each) very basic 2wd truck, a choice of what attachments you are going to spend money on to equip on your trucks, and some limited extra money to cover gas and repairs. From there you pickup whatever little contracts you can to start building your business and make money. As you earn more money you can buy more equipment and trucks which opens the door to bigger and more awarding contracts. Everything you need would have to be bought, not found scattered across the map. You could either make career mode limited to one map at a time or make it open across all maps so your company can expand and buy more garage locations. If your friends are busy and can't play you could still go on yourself and work towards earning money for the company but obviously some contracts should be near impossible unless you have help (in mutiplayer).

I could go on but that's basically what I was hoping for and I think it could add a lot of hours of play time to the game especially in mutiplayer. They could even have a online leader board of what companies are worth the most money, etc. Even if this mode isn't available at launch I don't see it being hard to implement something like this in the future.

last edited by Ktaco

@Ktaco Yes, I'd have liked the idea of certain upgrades available in certain shops only. For example. The town shop having more upgrades available than the "deep into the woods farmer who sells stuff". Also that farmer could have some rare things that are not available anywhere else and so on. This way they would have potentiated exploration, assuming that's what the were going for when decided to scatter upgrades around the map.

An UAZ Loaf? In Alaska? With that large a trailer?

alt text

In all honesty I am super excited/mega hyped for SR. It will definitely spoil the immersion for me to have fictitious Slavic trucks next to licensed US trucks on a US map, but it's not a dealbreaker so long as the Loaf struggles profusely to tow that trailer!