Flash Bang Rework

Every single FPS game there is has flash grenades. They are almost always made to blind people even though it is not grounded in reality. In many of these games it doesn't matter since they are not really realistic but Insurgency is.

I don't like how the flash bangs can blind people from tens of meters away. No grenade that small can create that much light. In Sandstorm there is a lot of room clearing so why cannot the flash bang work like in real life. In a perfect world with the perfect Insurgency the effective radius would be small in an open place and cover a whole room indoors. The effect would not be blinding but cause your character to panic like when suppressed and make your vision shaky and unclear.

I don't know if this is possible to code with a reasonable amount of time but I would like to see the flash bang implemented correctly in a video game for once. I am sorry if my word order is sometimes irrational. I don't speak English as my first language but I hope I brought my message across.

-The flash bank system implanted in an insurgency sandstorm is very very good, it does not require for my taste any overhaul.

In addition, I think that if they apply your statements, it will no longer be effective because players affected by the flash will always and easily be able to eliminate you. (because it is only a game and it is enough to click to draw and move his mouse, to aim to be precise.)

Precisely, I find that the system of today is very good because it reduces its capacities to players being flashed.
Then I understand what you are saying. I'm just expressing my point of view.

Cordially

Henry

Flashbangs are one of those things that are virtually impossible to replicate realistically in a computer game. A huge component of real flashbangs is the concussion that causes shock and disorientation, how do you replicate that?

There are already a lot of players, mostly the competitive sort it seems, who complain about the strength of suppression mechanic. I have a feeling that making the flashbang effect like a super-supression would not sit well with some players, especially if it moved the view around randomly.

The effect as-is works pretty well, it's not super realistic, but I don't think super realistic is possible.

@MAA_Bunny it actually doesn't. The range is stupid long and you don't know what the hell you are talking about. Not with censorship nor with game mechanics.

I think the effect itself is fine, maybe the effect could be stronger/longer short range, and less effective longer range (or stronger indoors/weaker outdoors).

But the reliability definitely needs to improve, same as for all explosives, small objects (in rooms) block the entire effect.

Another annoying thing is that your hearing goes numb when you throw one in a room you're not in (but within proximity), like the sound goes straight through the wall.

They should take Escape from Tarkov as an example... I'm quite tired of whitescreen effects for flashbangs in most games. Especially when you play in the dark, it's juste brutal for your eyes.

This, on the other hand, is good :
Youtube Video – [01:02..]

@Grumf honestly that looks like a very cheaply implemented lens flare overlay

@ImTimKlonker Not that cheap, what do you mean ? It replicates persistence of vision quite well. Still 1000x better than a white screen anyway.

@Grumf

Doesn't look like a true burn in of the actual explosion to me, just a black screen with some sort of lens flare effect on top of it that moves like a Windows screensaver lol. Just google images of "lens flare photoshop" and you'll know what i mean.

But yea, white screen is even cheaper, but isn't as 'weird' as a random lens flare on your screen. Guess it's also a personal thing.

@MAA_Bunny said in Flash Bang Rework:

Flashbangs are one of those things that are virtually impossible to replicate realistically in a computer game. A huge component of real flashbangs is the concussion that causes shock and disorientation, how do you replicate that?

There are already a lot of players, mostly the competitive sort it seems, who complain about the strength of suppression mechanic. I have a feeling that making the flashbang effect like a super-supression would not sit well with some players, especially if it moved the view around randomly.

The effect as-is works pretty well, it's not super realistic, but I don't think super realistic is possible.

Because CoD slowing your movement, stirring your camera, slowing your ability to aim, blinding you, and leaving a Sun-Spot after-image isn't realistic enough?

You are aware that they tested real Flashbangs to come up with their solution, correct? Our Long-winded Sun-Spot is far from realistic since bright lights don't flair out your eyes with a bright yellow light for 5-6-7 seconds, it's far shorter and your vision DARKENS. That gives entry teams the 2-3 seconds they need to attempt to establish a foothold, not walk past you to the god damn refrigerator to make a hammy-sammy.

@ImTimKlonker Everything I get when typing lens flare photoshop in google images looks way worse than what EfT has. Like... Really cheap camera lens flare, or over-dramatic lens flare that would look good for a sunrise seen from outer space. But that has nothing to do with what can be seen by the human eye after getting flashbanged. Show us what you consider is better.

last edited by Grumf

@Grumf I have no clue, don't know what it exactly looks like when getting flashbanged, just stating my opinion that it doesn't look too good to me.

You and xDark are right though how a white screen isn't realistic and doesn't look too good either.

What maybe would look good is a (very) darkened blurry screen, with a 'frozen' overexposed/high contrasted transparant layer on top of it, like a real burn in of the bright explosion on your retina and not a standard effect layer like eft.

last edited by ImTimKlonker