Activities Blog

Get behind the wheel, SnowRunners, there’s work to be done!

The great wilderness of SnowRunner is home to all kinds of jobs, places to discover, and challenges to take on. With this article, we aim to give you a better understanding of what you can do out there in the mud and snow, besides driving badass trucks!

The three regions (Alaska, Michigan, and Taymyr) are rugged and harsh, full of beauty and untapped potential. Your role in SnowRunner is as the vanguard, the first in line, taking on contracts for businesses as they try to secure a foothold.

Loading-Screen.jpg

Activities in SnowRunner can be split into four categories: Contracts, Tasks, Challenges, and Exploration.

Contracts

Every region has businesses that require your skills and intrepid spirit. There is a set number of contracts in every region (each made up of several maps), and all the ones you can acquire on a certain map are visible from the get go on the map screen, provided you have uncovered the fog of war in that location.

Although still visible, some contracts are locked until you meet specific requirements, such as completing a different contract first. These requirements are shown in the contract. Contracts always involve delivering some form of cargo to a specific location, but keep in mind that these deliveries can sometimes take you from one map to another (but not across regions).

Map-Exploration.jpg
If you follow the contracts, they will naturally lead you deeper into the map.

Tasks

alt text

Tasks are one-time objectives that you discover naturally as you explore the map. When you discover a task, you will get a notification and the task will become visible on your map. There are a variety of tasks that are different from contracted cargo delivery, such as rescuing a stuck vehicle, searching for oil, reaching a special location, and bringing supplies to repair infrastructure or buildings.

Vehicle-Rescue.jpg
A vehicle has been abandoned. Time for some good ol’ fashioned scavenging!

Contests

Entirely optional, contests are timed challenges where a faster completion time equals a better reward. These are accessed in the same way as tasks, through exploring the map, and involve reaching certain locations and delivering cargo. Some of them include special conditions, such as completing them at night, or in first person view, or avoiding damage to your vehicle, and so on.

Exploration

Besides being its own reward, we’ve made sure exploration can lead to other surprises. As you make your way through the snow, mud, hills, swamps, mountains, and forests, you will come across various types of buildings, vehicles, trailers, and even upgrades.

alt text
The locations of all watchtowers are visible in the fog of war.

Watchtowers are spread across the map and will uncover a big chunk of the fog of war when you reach them, revealing things like buildings and upgrades on the map, as well as some kind of tasks. Challenge zones however, will only be discovered and displayed on the map after you have physically approached them.

Snowrunner-mapcomparaison-16x9-DLCVersion.jpg

The size of SnowRunner’s maps is truly gigantic compared to MudRunner, even if you include all post-launch content. The same goes for the amount of stuff to do - the maps aren’t just bigger, they’re more detailed and crowded with activities.

The rest is up to you!

While SnowRunner features a ton of tailored tasks and challenges, it’s ultimately up to you to play the game in the way you enjoy most. Create your own challenges, race your friends, load your truck with way too much cargo, or have a good old fashioned tug of war using the winch.

The activities we’ve described above, particularly the contracts and tasks, are intended to provide a good flow for players to make their way through the maps naturally, unlocking and discovering new vehicles, buildings, and upgrades as they go. Challenges can spice things up, but are in no way obligatory.

Your progress, both global and for each map, can be viewed on your driver profile. This shows the number of completed contracts, tasks, challenges, and more, all of which affects your driver rank and badge. You’ll have to achieve a higher driver rank to unlock some trucks and addons, and it’s a good indicator of your overall experience as a driver.

Driver-ProfileEdit.jpg

We hope you’ve all enjoyed this blog on the activities in SnowRunner. Which activities do you like most so far?

last edited by Jellyfoosh

@Jellyfoosh Ah, thanks for this!
This'll come in handy once I've got the game!

@Jellyfoosh the bonus content code i got from game stop isnt working, I contacted gamestop and they're not sure what happened, is there any recommendations for getting this resolved on your end?

How do you guys advancing?
Doing what you can a map and only then move to a new one?
Do you go to other regions or trying to finish a given region first?

I am dazzled by the possibilities here, I don't know where to go first, I want to be everywhere!

@zapat at least do 30% of michigan until u move to alaska or even worse taymyr cause those 2 regions are significantly harder, once uv unlocked couple addons, discovered suspensions and bought good tires for u trucks then u can start doing alaska, until then its gonna be super difficult

@zapat It's your choice. I already went to Alaska even though I hardly completed anything in Michigan. Entering the garage in Michigan kind of pushed me to Alaska. That part was confusing. But you can go back and forth.

@Unster i did too and scout a little same with taymyr, but i decided to go with games flow at least in first playthrough

@zamal
you bought scout specially for taymyr? or managed to use usa's?

@Stazco good old khan 39 marshal, i didnt go too far tho, just 1 watchpoint

Hi where i can get snowrunner mod editor? Or i can use editor from mudrunner?

In the tutorial, I had no idea I had to deliver the steel to the bridge first. Had to watch a youtube video to figure it out. 😕

@NoodleKranker thats why u dont skip tutorial messages

@zamal said in Activities Blog:

@Stazco good old khan 39 marshal, i didnt go too far tho, just 1 watchpoint

i hope you discarded marshal after it?

I really like the game and have played it to level 5, been in all three starter maps. I love many things, in fact almost all of it, but there is a couple of minor features i would like to see.

1. The game pauses when you open the map.
  2. Abbility to zoom even more out in thirdperson, so even with trailor you can still see the whole vehicle.
  3. It would be interresting to be able to exit the vehicle and walk around.

That was all the features i have for now, the rest of the game that i have played i really like. Keep up the good work. I'm excited for the first season.

@Stazco i drove around with it, slashed into some deep mud to have fun, but havnt done any missions besides that one watchpoint and since then it has been sitting besides that tower looking at view, i do think doing stuff in early game with Marshal is kinda basically cheating cause let me tell u that truck is fucking OP lol, if it cost like 30k and it was just unlocked then okay but u get it basically for free, i mean stock chevy 1500 can go in many places too on Black River but there is comparison

Khan is just too beast of a truck, at least for my type of playthrough

@zamal I'm glad I didn't get it. Even the stock vehicles sometimes plow through mud & snow unrealistically. I'm very much hoping for a hardcore traction mode.

@zamal
my man!) 👍
i have it in ready to download, will do it in late late game. navi i also moved there.

last edited by Stazco

@Jellyfoosh said in Activities Blog:

The size of SnowRunner’s maps is truly gigantic compared to MudRunner, even if you include all post-launch content. The same goes for the amount of stuff to do - the maps aren’t just bigger, they’re more detailed and crowded with activities.

This is one of the things I really love about this game. The maps are really well utilised with multiple routes that make sense to take as shortcuts for certain contracts, but not necessarily for others. There aren't really huge swathes of the map that are just kinda not worth ever driving through.

Hello, I do not know if they can help me, in one of the contracts, the drowned heavy truck, when taking it to the farm, does not let me deliver it, does not end the contract, the truck ran out of gasoline when pulling it With the winch, I don't know if that's the reason, but I can't fill the truck's gas tank either.
![0_1588364749206_camion pesado ahogado.png](Uploading 100%)

Добрый день уважаемый разработчик,пишу на русском,так мне удобней пояснить.Очень прошу вас по фиксить: 1.Грязь на колёсах,что бы хоть немного пачкались,а то ну не в какую при гряземесе чистые колёса.2. Играть на руле g29 невозможно,
камерой управляешь с мышки,а рулём g29 крутишь руль,и начинает виснуть и "заикаться" изображение,машина может произвольно сама ехать и остановить не возможно.В Spintires: MudRunner получаешь удовольствие от управления с руля g29,а здесь одни нервы.Будет ли поддержка 6 ступенчатой коробки передач,то есть будут скорости как в Spintires: MudRunner?