What races?

Will there only be gangs like Necromunda or also other kind of races? For example Necrons and Chaos? Even if not on lauch maybe later down the line as DLC? ( I have never played necromunda hence I am to young for that game)

last edited by ShakerGER

@ShakerGER said in What races?:

Will there only be gangs like Necromunda or also other kind of races? For example Necrons and Chaos? Even if not on lauch maybe later down the line as DLC? ( I have never played necromunda hence I am to young for that game)

Neither of the two you mentioned really fit in as gangs in Necromunda (particularly the Necrons). I would not be particularly surprised if we end up with Chaos as an option though, Games Workshop seems incapable of approving a license without Chaos or Tyranids in it.

Got to have Chaos, else you've ying with no yang.

@Bosie said in What races?:

Got to have Chaos, else you've ying with no yang.

In the "big games" where planets and star systems are in the balance - maybe, but Necromunda as a skirmish-level game never needed Chaos as a persistent presence to function.

If in your example, ying (yin?) means the (relative) order of the Imperium and yang the chaotic evil of... Chaos... then there's precious little "law and order" in the Underhive, and none at all in the outlands.

Necromunda has zombie outbreaks, treasure miners and bounty hunters, it has raging stereoid-chomping psychopaths vs deranged cultists (but not of the Chaos variety!) and it's a breath of fresh air compared to the sameness that is most GW licenses: Empire vs Chaos, Empire vs Orks, Empire vs Tyranids... you get the picture.

This game will be based on the original Necromunda - not the new version that Games Workshop is working on... you know, the one that includes Space Marines and Eldar....

It will be gangs and I've made a video speculating on which gangs could be potential as the starting ones (in this forum)

@Game-kNight said in What races?:

This game will be based on the original Necromunda - not the new version that Games Workshop is working on... you know, the one that includes Space Marines and Eldar....

Please tell me that isn't real? I know they're working on a new version, but if they put Space Marines and Eldar in there they really have lost their minds completely.

@Mekelan said in What races?:

@Game-kNight said in What races?:

Please tell me that isn't real? I know they're working on a new version, but if they put Space Marines and Eldar in there they really have lost their minds completely.

There seems to be two versions coming as they announced in March 2017 that "Necromunda" would return as Armageddon Shadow Wars, this was a disappointing announcement that wasn't received well by the community, here is the details of that announcement:

(Source: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/03/gw-breaking-updated-necromunda-returns.html)
Here’s the basics from our BoLS reporter on site at the GAMA trade show:

Necromunda will re-released in a new reimagined edition.
Titled Armageddon Shadow Wars
Rules will be almost identical to the original.
Organized Play support will accompany the new game.
Unlike Killteam, there is a point-based system for buying your gang.
The game does NOT use the 40K rules, stats, etc at all.
The game will ship with 12 factions.
The core box will contain Blood Angels Marine Scouts and Orks

Now, on the 13th of August Games Workshop announced the rerelease of Necromunda, which is this:

(Source: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/08/40k-breaking-necromunda-returns.html)
That’s right folks, just announced from Games Workshop, a return to Necromunda. Originally produced in 1995, the fame is set on the eponymous Hive World of Necromunda. Players take on the role of scavengers and gang members belonging to one of the great “Houses” of the Hive City, and battle for resources and supremacy.

So it is some great confusion as to what they have been doing, but I guess it is just that - New Necromunda is looking REALLY good!

@Game-kNight thank you, that makes more sense - I only knew about the "new Necromunda" that was revealed a few weeks ago.

If GW wants to release a skirmish-level game with a Necromunda-esque gameplay but using SPESS MEHREENS then that's fine - just don't rape the Necromunda brand with it!

Much rejoicing if they're re-releasing a proper Necromunda though! Odds of me getting to play it are remote, but I can still cheer along when they do something with one of their best ever franchises!

Chaos does exist in Necromunda, just not how the OP is probably thinking. Chaos Cults were a Gang War addition to the setting and could take the form of a Cultist brotherhood that acted a lot like Cawdor Redemptionists, using the Outlaw rules and adapted, or you could have a gang be a Cult. It doesn't really have to be distinct from the gang factions, just a matter of having a dedication to the Chaos Gods, though I think they did make you take a single one in the rules, but it could be Undivided.

It would be great if it was included, my Gang is going to be a cult regardless, but it certainly belongs in the setting (eventually) and is easily something they can expand upon. Don't know if they're doing the Outlander Outlaw rules yet, but it's something they could include when they do.

But no, several people here are wrong, Chaos is involved in the setting, there were even rules for Chaos Marines and minor Daemons. Mostly looked like for homebrew scenarios however. Besides the Cult, which were an official roster, just not in the main books.

@DeTortor said in What races?:

there were even rules for Chaos Marines and minor Daemons.

Chaos was never a major part of the Necromunda setting, homebrew rules or no. I dunno, I might be fighting a losing battle here, but I get bored having the same adversaries in every single game, and Order vs Chaos is as generic as it gets.

While there was an Appendix entry for Chaos Marines and Plaguebearer/Daemonette/Horror/Bloodletter, I'm more interested in actual Chaos Cults that used custom Outlaw rules. That is different than standard Chaos as the human element is more like a side note in the lore. It's not as though they're the main enemy or anything, they're basically another gang like Redemptionists, but the Cult leader gets a mark and Nurgle Cults get to use Plague Zombies like Scaavies.

So I disagree on a couple counts. Not talking about them being the main adversary, just an Outlaw gang, or what I'd like even more, a risky way to try to give your gang more strength, as if you get caught as a cult then you're going to be Outlawed. I see it more as a potential expansion that can add another layer. I mean Chaos is an omnipresent threat. Not to mention, this isn't even a matter of Order Vs Chaos, especially taking into account that this is a different look at Chaos.

I guess we'll see. GW flogs that "order vs destruction" horse of theirs pretty heavily, so if playable chaos cults get added to Necromunda, I don't see them stopping there. I guess I'm just a bit of a purist, in that I prefer the zanier, less streamlined games GW used to produce - they had more soul somehow. Maybe I'm just old!

Necromunda works for me because, for all its violence and gloom, it's about humans, there are (a few) rules that even the hardened gangers don't break, and there's no "big bad" and to me, that's refreshing. Chaos / Genestealer Cults etc, whether ostensibly hiding or not, upsets that, and calls for all kinds of world-ending nastiness, from Inquisitors to Greater Demon summoning to Tyranid invasions.

Between Scavvies and House Cawdor/the Redemptionist Crusade, Necromunda has more than enough "icky outcasts" and "crazy cultists" already - I mean if you want to head-canon a house gang or a Redemptionist chapter as a Chaos cult, that's pretty cool, but there's no need to add special rules for that. Obviously that's all just IMO.

@Mekelan In the matter of not wanting such groups to override the narrative of the story by being too big of a threat I agree. For example, Genestealer Cults being harbingers of a soon to be impending apocalypse with the Hive Fleet incoming would be a great game, it just shouldn't be this game. Similarly I wouldn't really want to see the heavy hitters like actual Chaos Space Marines(unless it's like 1 of them for a campaign mission) or something like that. That is a different theme than Necromunda where it shouldn't be about a earthshaking event, but gang wars.

However, I disagree that it needs to be that in order to be included. GW likes to frame it that way, but they don't have to. Each of those threats are usually small for a very long time, the seduction of Chaos culminating in small isolated cults usually. More what I'm talking about is if they add in the Outlanders stuff, with the whole Outlaw rules. As you said, there's a few rules that even Gangers don't break, and these are some of them. A way it could manifest is there's a way to turn your gang into a cult and that gives certain bonuses, but when you use these bonuses in a fight there's chances to get caught and when you do you get Outlawed, similar to hitting a Guilder asset. Done in a similar way to what I said, rather than being the big bad it's just a risky move to try to rise to power, one with the distinct probability of crashing on your head.

Then it just adds a new aspect to the sort of free for all wild west style of Gang Wars, as a counterpoint to the Redemptionists it creates an Outlaw holy war, which is part of the reason Redemptionists exist. Perhaps in being a purist you're looking at the idea and thinking that it has to be implemented in a certain way, and to you that way will undermine the main themes of the setting, and yes, that can happen, but it wouldn't have to. What I am trying to convey is for it to happen in a way that adds to the themes rather than override them.

But regardless, yes no matter the case I intend for my gang to be a Chaos cell regardless of if that can be represented in game. More importantly, I don't presume this will be a base game feature (well, Outlaw rules might be) but rather how the game can expand. Which is mostly Outlaws like Ratskins, Scaavies, Spyrers, Cults, and some Ash Waste groups that are also part of the Gang War expansions I mentioned. What I like about Chaos is that it can arrive side by side with Redemptionist Crusades and both can implemented in a way that adds new factions and also allows you to go a new direction with your existing gang.

last edited by DeTortor

So Necromunda 8th edition is out and while so far only Escher and Goliath have been given lists, there are some interesting confirmations in the background that shows continued support some of the expansion gangs from both Outlanders and Gang War supplements.

From what I remember the lore mentions Ash Waste Nomads, Shanty Town Gangs, Brat Gangs(Spyrers without fancy suits basically), Genestealer Cults, Scaavies, Ratskins, and I think Chaos Cults.

So in essence there's a lot of room for expansion while remaining in line with the official lore.

As well, there was a mention of a Hive that was destroyed because it became a main hub for Ork raiders in the planet.

I know it's a long stretch to say that there will be orks in the game, but we might have the chance of wandering into some grot that gets lost.

Overall, things look really nice and the rules talk about all the houses and their main themes, but the other houses will, more likely, be implemented later on.

I knew I was forgetting something.

Don't forget that Orks breed through spores and spread those when they die as well. If a grot gets somewhere an Orc ecosystem starts to grow, which means Orks are perfectly valid. That's what makes them so hard to actually remove for good. So if they want to add Ork gangs they very much can. Just I personally think they should be lower priority than all the human factions.

Also I had forgotten about the Xeno embassy. Doesn't lend itself terribly well to gangs but this does justify an Eldar presence, Dark Eldar would make the most sense though for similar reasons to Spyrers. But these would be even lower than Orks as far factions that actually should be added. Plenty of humans and humanoid mutants available first.

True. Human gangs are the priority. Some xenos mixed in betwen with a few chaos followers and genestealers might be a good idea in the long run, but for now they should focus on giving us the 6 houses, the Scavvies and the Ratskins.

If we later get our hands into a genstealer cult, some chaos followers, dark eldar raiders or a tribe of orks/feral orks (Since we don't know the numbers), it's good. We even might get some nifty and dangerous neutral enemies, such as an ork nob that wandered off to get some fancy trophies or even a genestealer.