Character-Customization

Just want to say that I’m amazed by the effort and attention Spiders is putting into communicating with their own fanbase. Not a lot of developers do that these days and I honestly appreciate it!
I’m a bit curious about the character-creator for the protagonist. Will it be more akin to the ones used in previous Spiders games (in terms of having a few options for each customization category) or is it a completely new one that features some vast improvements?
And also, out of curiosity: since the team was present at this year’s E3 back in June, is there any plans for the game to be shown on other gaming conventions such as gamescom and such?
Keep up the good work! I can’t wait to see more of what you guys have in store for us 🙂

Hello VFerreira93, thanks a lot for following us.
We won't add a lot of new features for the character customization, firstly because the main character is defined in the universe (age, surname, title, background story) and secondly because character creation is something very heavy to develop, and we really want to focus on narration and game experience.
Unfortunately, we won't be at the Gamescon, but Focus Home Interactive who will publish our game will be there, maybe you should keep an eye on their announcement ;).
0_1502885556041_FocusGamescon.JPG

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post 🙂

Both the narration and game experience should definitely come first, for sure. Keeping the player invested in the world, the story and its characters may be tough sometimes but I'm confident that you'll be able to handle quite well (just like how you guys did in Technomancer, for example) 🙂

I'll keep an eye on that then!

@mariecécile-jacq said in Character-Customization:

Hello VFerreira93, thanks a lot for following us.
We won't add a lot of new features for the character customization, firstly because the main character is defined in the universe (age, surname, title, background story) and secondly because character creation is something very heavy to develop, and we really want to focus on narration and game experience.

I agree. Focus on narration and gameplay. I think that level of customisation in Technomancer is good. If you add choice for sex (male/female) it will be sufficient.

Two small suggestions:

• If there will be male/female hero, it would be nice to make some situations where it counts. For example it could be easier for male hero to deal with some mercenaries or bands of thugs which usually see women as weak. On the other hand it could be easier for female hero to deal with some high class men or pompous officials who like to flirt/chat with new young ladies - while male hero would be neglected by them as some greenhorn trader from dirty village or another "golddigger" with no manners.
  • A lot of RPG players like to imagine some background for their own customised heroes. Hero in Greedfall will be partially predetermined so I think there should be summary of his/her background somewhere in character window. It doesnt need to be long text, just basic summary that your writers can write quickly. It would also help those who can only play in short sessions - if you return to the game after some time you could just check your journal about quests and your background sheet about your hero and continue to play.
    Also if you would decide to invest a little more time in it, the game could update this background info from time to time when NPCs tell you some story from your past (for example like in Technomancer when Andrew told you about your time in technomancer school - its something you didnt know at the start of the game).

Hi again Farflame,

Being in a fictionnal 17th century (the time reference is for a consistency in the clothes, weapons, furnitures, art style...), our game has a strict gender equality. So playing a male or female main character won't change your negociation options. Additionally to that, you're playing a prince/princess in a diplomatic mission, so most of deals will have to be disguss trading alliances or other kind of polical games.
The background of the character will be of course provided to the player.

Thanks !

gender equality sounds great, it's a very tiring seeing sexism in fictional settings, thank you MarieCécile

Aucune chance de voir de nouvelles images du jeu pendant la Paris Games Week ??? : )

Je ne pense pas que Focus présentera du nouveau contenu, mais ils seront bien évidemment présents à la PGW et seront ravis de répondre dans la mesure du possible aux questions des journalistes :). Bonne journée.

Some beastmen options judjing from the trailer it seemed like you can be a magedemon, so maybe more forest creatures, robots, and elf options. Skincolor changing, and upgrades to cammuflage or blend like chameleons, dragonscales, shirtless, hairy, skinny/fat. Thats what matters, long hair usually clips, so more focus on other features like the hands/claws or voice options/sfx for combat will keep the game less repeatitive.