On the romance options

Re: Will Greedfall have same sex romances like Technomancer?

Are you able to confirm, or elaborate, on this quote from this article? Thanks.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gaming/681357/GreedFall-preview-Ever-wanted-an-RPG-that-feels-like-Dragon-Age-meets-Hamilton

"Spiders also told us that you'll have the option to pick either a male or female character in the game - the choice won't affect too much of what you play, but it will limit the romance choices you have once you get a bit further into the title."

I hope this is not something like DAO where the plot-relevant characters (Alistair and Morrigan) were straight thus straight people having two options and lesbians/gays having only one side-character option. We'll see, if this is DAO situation I hope the plot-relevant ones are bisexual to get a lot of content.

also MarieCécile mentioned lesbian and gay romances so maybe it will be 2 straight (male and female), one gay and one lesbian. This would be only fair if every character have the same level of plot-relevance which I really doubt.

Anyways, I cant wait to see a gameplay or anything about the game!!!!

last edited by nickclark89

I really hope everyone has the same amount of options regardless of gender and sexual orientation (minus bisexual players as they will generally always win out mathematically for obvious reasons).

Still very sad they won't be all bi. I think Spiders could do the all bi thing well.

This just means that I will inevitably fall in love with a gay man and get my hopes crushed because I always play female when I have the choice

Playing a guy when it's an option just feels weird to me. Set characters are different, because I don't roleplay as much.

But yeah, I at least want to know how many options, since I'll be stuck with probably a boring straight guy, a stereotypical lesbian, and possibly a bi option.

BE THE ONE THAT ENDS THIS CYCLE OF ABUSE, SPIDERS!

MY HEART CAN'T TAKE MUCH MORE!

I'll buy it either way, BUT STILL TRY

@skylar-o-shea said in On the romance options:

Still very sad they won't be all bi. I think Spiders could do the all bi thing well.

This just means that I will inevitably fall in love with a gay man and get my hopes crushed because I always play female when I have the choice

Playing a guy when it's an option just feels weird to me. Set characters are different, because I don't roleplay as much.

But yeah, I at least want to know how many options, since I'll be stuck with probably a boring straight guy, a stereotypical lesbian, and possibly a bi option.

BE THE ONE THAT ENDS THIS CYCLE OF ABUSE, SPIDERS!

MY HEART CAN'T TAKE MUCH MORE!

I'll buy it either way, BUT STILL TRY

it is extremely disappointing to see the options being divisive once more. I really hope no one gets far less plot important characters as their only options like usually happens in these situations.

Drell has pointed out that we should wait for the developers comment before concluding anything and I agree.

I just have such high hopes for this and I want it to do well

But for now, I will wait on developers to say their piece before speaking more on that one part from that one unconfirmed article

It's cool so see that other people are as passionate about this game as me! I'm honored to wait anxiously with you guys XD

I have to say, Your plan to release Article to day...valentine day really give me hope that romance info will release too.

So... any info would be great.

@beniichat

Crap, I forgot it was Valentine's Day
Thank you, you just saved my life XD

Hi all,

In Greedfall, you will go through the adventure with five companions, they are all important. We're really focusing on the story and having strong and well-written characters. For reasons that will be obvious when you will discover the game and the universe, we didn't went for all bi companions. However, we're deeply convinced that everyone will find its happiness in the romance options.

Thank you 🙂

@mariecécile-jacq Thank you very much for the response, but if it's not too much to ask, are there any bi companions? More specifically, are the same sex romances exclusively same sex, or bi?

We cant wait to find out the romance list and we have this fear because other games have let us down many times. I think being eager is not enough to express the feeling lol

thank you very much

@sir-drell

Hi Sir Drell,

We perfectly understand that you can't wait to have all the details about every character in Greedfall's universe, but we're still in development, and also, we would love our players being able to discover the story and the characters with some unknown to be able to fully enjoy each twists and secrets.

Sorry to make you wait again, but no more informations will be reveal before getting closer to the release date.

Thanks again for your interest and your activity on this forum :).

@mariecécile-jacq I have faith in you that every companion equal in term of how they important to Main Story/Our Character.

@mariecécile-jacq it's not that we want to know everything about every companion, just who we can romance and preferably before the release so we wouldn't get in the game blind then get disappointed like it happened before with other games

@nickclark89 said in On the romance options:

maybe it will be 2 straight (male and female), one gay and one lesbian. This would be only fair if every character have the same level of plot-relevance which I really doubt.

Why they should have the same plot-relevance? What do you mean by the same plot-relevance? I thought that players are mainly interested in interesting characters that somehow react to player and possibly evolve and thus these NPCs will have different backgrounds and character arcs. And each player will have different idea about who is interesting or important or why. You can hardly make "the same ideal plot relevance" for all.

@mariecécile-jacq said in On the romance options:

We're really focusing on the story and having strong and well-written characters. For reasons that will be obvious when you will discover the game, we didn't went for all bi companions.

I think you have the right approach in this case, Marie Cécile. To have 5 "well-written" companions with different backgrounds is IMHO better than to try to create 5 companions with the same importance to the story or the same power or something. For example you could create 5 soldier/mercenary/leader types with similar power but it wouldnt make the game better. To force bisexuality on every companion regardless of his/her background or personality doesnt help either imho.
Please keep in mind there are also players who are only mildly interested in romances, or doesnt care at all, or some even hate romances. And they want and will benefit from interesting companions too. Chat with companions in rover in Technomancer was pretty well-written so I have faith in you in this regard. 🙂

@farflame said in On the romance options:

maybe it will be 2 straight (male and female), one gay and one lesbian. This would be only fair if every character have the same level of plot-relevance which I really doubt.

Why they should have the same plot-relevance? What do you mean by the same plot-relevance? I thought that players are mainly interested in interesting characters that somehow react to player and possibly evolve and thus these NPCs will have different backgrounds and character arcs. And each player will have different idea about who is interesting or important or why. You can hardly make "the same ideal plot relevance" for all.

We're really focusing on the story and having strong and well-written characters. For reasons that will be obvious when you will discover the game, we didn't went for all bi companions.

I think you have the right approach in this case, Marie Cécile. To have 5 "well-written" companions with different backgrounds is IMHO better than to try to create 5 companions with the same importance to the story or the same power or something. For example you could create 5 soldier/mercenary/leader types with similar power but it wouldnt make the game better. To force bisexuality on every companion regardless of his/her background or personality doesnt help either imho.
Please keep in mind there are also players who are only mildly interested in romances, or doesnt care at all, or some even hate romances. And they want and will benefit from interesting companions too. Chat with companions in rover in Technomancer was pretty well-written so I have faith in you in this regard. 🙂

Being well written is important, too. What Nick meant was that in previous cases (I know you love examples so for EX: Alistair from DA: O) a character that was only available to players of certain preference just had so much more to offer the story. Whereas others (Zeveran from DA: O) had almost no major involvement in the plot after their introduction.

Keep in mind, I usually play straight so I got my happy ending with Alistair. It just wasn't fair that my ending literally had my romance option as the driving force for the resolution and others were just kinda "meh" towards the end.

You're right that they did amazing on Technomancer romance, and I think they could really do well here, too.

I just wanted to explain where the other concern comes from. You are by no means wrong by saying being well written is important. I hope for that as well.

@farflame I think it's very easy to understand what I mean for plot-relevance, of course not every companion is gonna be important always in the plot but I want the same level of care for everyone, and this included plot-relevance, I dont want a promiscouos bisexual elf that you can kill right away when you first meet him like in DAO, I want romances that are tie up to the main plot (Morrigan, Alistair, Solas, Cassandra for example)

It's true some people dont care about romances or hate them, but this is a old song already because you can simply avoid them and everybody is happy. Romances are not mandatory but optionals.

lgbtq people are interested in romance in rpgs because it's the only way to be a lgbtq main character in videogames, but we do care about other aspects of the game, just this is something we care the most because it let us be ourselves and being represented, because mainstream media in videogames dont give a damn about us (a few games are breaking the mold Tlou, LiS, and that's pretty much all)

last edited by nickclark89

@skylar-o-shea said in On the romance options:

@farflame said in On the romance options:

Being well written is important, too. What Nick meant was that in previous cases (I know you love examples so for EX: Alistair from DA: O) a character that was only available to players of certain preference just had so much more to offer the story. Whereas others (Zeveran from DA: O) had almost no major involvement in the plot after their introduction.

Keep in mind, I usually play straight so I got my happy ending with Alistair. It just wasn't fair that my ending literally had my romance option as the driving force for the resolution and others were just kinda "meh" towards the end.

You're right that they did amazing on Technomancer romance, and I think they could really do well here, too.

I just wanted to explain where the other concern comes from. You are by no means wrong by saying being well written is important. I hope for that as well.

THANK YOU this is I want I meant 🙂

I just want to say thank you in advance for all of your hard work and I can't wait to play this game and see the world and characters you have created.