So will Ability spam be a thing of the past?

Watched valraks video and from what i understood that the player gets to pick his flag ship no matter the class and that will give access to the abilities and upgrades for that ship but leaving all the other ships for the most part untouched. Is this true because i think this is a good move if they go with that.

@canned_f3tus said in So will Ability spam be a thing of the past?:

Watched valraks video and from what i understood that the player gets to pick his flag ship no matter the class and that will give access to the abilities and upgrades for that ship but leaving all the other ships for the most part untouched. Is this true because i think this is a good move if they go with that.

Hard to say, what Valrak said wasn't all that clear on the subject and I suspect it may have been some error in translation (so to speak) because it seemed very vague and unclear.

@kadaeux said in So will Ability spam be a thing of the past?:

@canned_f3tus said in So will Ability spam be a thing of the past?:

Hard to say, what Valrak said wasn't all that clear on the subject and I suspect it may have been some error in translation (so to speak) because it seemed very vague and unclear.

Yeah that guys accent is thick too which doesnt help.

monday he will ask questions
hopefully those will be understandable
or they will be lost in the french and whatever valraks accent is and we will never know

Man, I really hope that was a mistranslation. Because that would absolutely suck in my eyes. Would completely take away the desire to customize ships.

@ashardalon said in So will Ability spam be a thing of the past?:

monday he will ask questions
hopefully those will be understandable
or they will be lost in the french and whatever valraks accent is and we will never know

Where is Valrak from, by the way? His accent is (at least for me) one of a native English speaker...but I haven't heard it anywhere else. And I know Aussies, Canadians, US Americans, Brits and Scots...

@hjalfnar_hgv He’s from Manchester. I have the same accent.

Alright, it sounded like something I knew, but while I was in Britain I only was in Lincolnshire and London. Well, this year my wife and I will be at the Tank Fest in Bovington, wondering how well we'll be able to understand everything. xD

@hjalfnar_hgv said in So will Ability spam be a thing of the past?:

Alright, it sounded like something I knew, but while I was in Britain I only was in Lincolnshire and London. Well, this year my wife and I will be at the Tank Fest in Bovington, wondering how well we'll be able to understand everything. xD

Come to Newcastle for an interesting English accent.

So, did it seem to anyone else that the "no more ship customization besides one" thing is only for multiplayer? Maybe I'm just projecting, but I hope that's the case. I don't care if skirmish is perfectly balanced, so long as it's fun. And a good part of that fun is the RPG/customization side of things (to me, at least).

@romeo said in So will Ability spam be a thing of the past?:

So, did it seem to anyone else that the "no more ship customization besides one" thing is only for multiplayer? Maybe I'm just projecting, but I hope that's the case. I don't care if skirmish is perfectly balanced, so long as it's fun. And a good part of that fun is the RPG/customization side of things (to me, at least).

The way Valrak phrased it, in my opinion anyway, was that it was pretty much a multiplayer only thing intended, quite specifically to balance it so that new vs older players weren't left with a crippling disadvantage.

Thinks back to one or two games I had with a fully kitted out max level fleet and ending up against some poor sap with the starting two Light Cruisers.

@kadaeux said in So will Ability spam be a thing of the past?:

The way Valrak phrased it, in my opinion anyway, was that it was pretty much a multiplayer only thing intended, quite specifically to balance it so that new vs older players weren't left with a crippling disadvantage.

Thinks back to one or two games I had with a fully kitted out max level fleet and ending up against some poor sap with the starting two Light Cruisers.

Oh thank goodness. If that's the case, I'm glad they're divorcing some of the multiplayer stuff from singleplayer, because I feel like the two groups have very different objectives from the game.

Some ability spam IS needed. Put them on crazy long timers, but the ability to bust up a 1500 pt fleet packed together is needed. Otherwise games will not be won with skillful maneuvering, but my blob steam rolling your blob. That gets boring real fast!

i dont see blobs being effective in BFG
even a ork blob isnt a treat without detection skills
it will annihilate the spotter, but then its dead

it sounded like your flag ship would have abilities just not every ship in the fleet. so reduced ability spam would be more accurate.

Man, I really hope that was a mistranslation. Because that would absolutely suck in my eyes. Would completely take away the desire to customize ships.

Would be bad for single player but good for multiplayer.

I wasnt to amazed with ship costumization in BFGA because it was the root of alot of problems. This rework seems like a happy middle ground and you can still pimp out your flag ship to your hearts content.

@imptastic said in So will Ability spam be a thing of the past?:

it sounded like your flag ship would have abilities just not every ship in the fleet. so reduced ability spam would be more accurate.

And im absolutly cool with that lol. Will no longer have to deal with shenanigens nor will i be able to cheeze anymore and the game will be focused more on the ships themselves.

@ashardalon you may want to check out some BFG on youtube that uses the higher points mod. Blobs.

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.