BFGA 1 - Failing miserably on easy

Really before I get hyped for BFGA 2 I should learn to play BFGA 1
Like... I am failing miserably on easy!

Okay that isn't 100% true.

I can actually play imperial navy on medium difficulty...
Warp in. Chuck all the nova cannon blasts and torpedoes at the enemy on approach. Deploy defense fighters, drop probes and emperor tarrot, Boost and ram, swing round to deliver a macro salvo to their rear, skirmish till micro warp jump is ready, warp all over the place and blast more nova cannon and torpedoes at them.

but any of the other races I just fail miserably every match I play

I would like to play some spess marines and Chaos fleets but nothing I do works!

I suspect that imperial navy is the play style that comes the most natural to me...

So is there someone that could... I don't know.. translate the fight styles and weapons of other races? Except orks... I hate orks...

do you know how detection works?
if you do, you know chaos
hide and be sneaky, then have a lot of lances at 15k lock on and disassemble the enemy
bombers can work too vs the ai
then run away when they try to get you
a single tzeensh LC with extra silent running can keep your entire fleet hidden and safe
having a disruption in there helps if the enemy does get too close
and unlike imperials you dont want to ram, except eldar
you can also try slaughter brawlers but they are weak vs bombers and you need to use their speed to stay on your enemies ass

marines depends a lot on the build
probes and homing torps help a lot in hurting enemies before they get to you
if you break enemy voids locked on cannons can do good crits but with the commander favor on the map brace blocks 100% ramming damage letting you do good damage, even with low hp cruisers and a lot more swinging a BB around
they are like faster imperials
also no need to mwj just to fire torpedoes, just high energy turn and fire them
or rely on homing, but that is slower damage

Well, what level are you struggling at? What ships are you using? Whats your strategic plan with the fleet?
Can't offer much helpful advice without specifics.

But to give you a very basic generalisation

Chaos: Slow-burn style fleet. Kite with either carriers or lance boats and slowly wear down your opponent until they are either destroyed or warp out. Things will die faster and faster as the fleet levels up, but the play-style barely changes unless you go for a YOLO Nurgle/Khorne fleet with Slaughters.

Space Marines: Early on its quite an aggressive boarding/critical-heavy fleet, although raw damage is terrible. Later on can switch to be like Chaos with boarding Torpedoes and thunderhawks if you prefer. Battlebarges can be very scary, but beware their slow speed and mobility.

Eldar: Extremely micro-intensive, rely on constantly moving to get the benefit of their holofeilds, and can do very high burst damage. Should cycle them around, doing big bursts of damage, then running away while your abilities are on cool down and try to get unspotted. Recommend you run as few ships as possible to make things easier.

Tau: Very easy to play. Just point them bow on and watch them melt things. If you're against something more aggressive, just kit away and keep chipping at them. Can be fitted to do almost anything with their upgrades and favours.

Orks: Get close, stay close, ram things OR spam lots of Zzaps and weird boyz and sit back at 12K and snipe things to death. Very simple.

last edited by CALiGeR_Reborn

Chaos is dependent on playing keep-away, so they can trash everyone from outside detection range. Spreading them out ensures not only do abilities not hit multiple ships, but that the enemy fleet can't logically engage many of your ships at once, whereas you'll be able to focus fire or spread out fire as much as you wish.

Orks involve getting in close and ramming the crap out of people. They can do alright at close range brawling, and boarding, but really you should be smashing stuff with their ships all day, every day.

Eldar involve starting the match and realizing you have no hope in hell. Sorry, wish I could help with them, but I also find them useless to play as.

Space Marines are all about that boarding, and target prioritization. Take out lance-boats from the opponent first, because their ships are weaker but ridiculously armored. And remember, in general it's better to use boarding pods over teleportation. So get them up in the middle of the opponent's fleet, let the boarding pods fly and wipe out anything that will bypass armor.

Tau win by clicking "start match" and going to make a pizza or drink a beer. They're ridiculously overpowered by default (And a PITA to fight as a result). If you still want advice for them, set up a wall of Tau ships behind a Demiurg Stronghold and you can take on any fleet in the game in a standup fight.

@sinkarma Hopefully this helps

Orks: They are only good close and as brawlers. Problematically they are very slow and thus have trouble closing. They don’t have Most maneuvers too. Their ramming is really good though, as is their boarding, so they are conceptually very simple to win with. Charge-ram-shoot-board and you done.

Spess Muhreens: Good Armor and boarding. That’s really it. Just focus on boarding and try to keep you fleet together, as they have one of the biggest fleet speed disparities in the game. This means your fleet could engage and die long before the battle barge arrives. As such don’t be afraid to pause the fleet and let said slowpoke catch up.

Chaos: You have two flavors, lanceboat and carrier. Lanceboats are great for chewing away shields really fast, and carriers are carriers. Due to the combo of lances and launch bays, you don’t really need to worry about accuracy penalties and should always engage from max range. While augur probes are core on everything, they are especially important here. Just don’t let anything get close as you aren’t very tanky (though you are quite fast).

Eldar: in theory you run back and forth,dodging and flanking ships with you great maneuverability. In practing you run away and throw bombers at the enemy until you win.

Tau: Hideously overpowered, just load in and win.

why do people keep saying orks are a brawl fleet
yea they have some gunz but orks are a 15k lance fleet + torpedoes
you win by camping a corner and never moving, having lock on on autocast and spamming so many torpedoes that its a miracle your enemy even reaches you

you can play orks as close or ram or even carrier
but those are cute builds
only good build is just zapps zapps and only zapps

@ashardalon said in BFGA 1 - Failing miserably on easy:

why do people keep saying orks are a brawl fleet
yea they have some gunz but orks are a 15k lance fleet + torpedoes
you win by camping a corner and never moving, having lock on on autocast and spamming so many torpedoes that its a miracle your enemy even reaches you

you can play orks as close or ram or even carrier
but those are cute builds
only good build is just zapps zapps and only zapps

Don't forget belt armour and nova cannons!

@bosie
damn you for reminding me

hugging orks is the best range to fight them

Ah!
thanks for the replies everyone

Now as someone asked how do I play these races that I keep failing at:
Chaos: I am trying to keep my distance but this ends with me getting shot a lot in the rear and enemy eventually catches up... I have tried using a criss cross fight style where I slpit my force in 2 and hit them from 2 sides and boost away in 2 directions and rinse repeat. but it doesn't feel like its the best strategy even though it semi works...
got to about admiral lvl 6

Spess muriens!: I understand you're suppose to dive in, board then run away but all that happens for me is they get temporary critical damage that they repair... and with each pass I get hit back as well and my ships keep getting permanent critical damage... E.G. after 1 match I was sitting with 2 ships that both didn't have a single working module among them with the last remaining ork ship just popping his repair and fixing all his damaged weapons and blasting me to kingdom come.
got to about lvl 3

Tau: Yea I kinda got into close range fights... that was dumb I realize now...
got up to lvl 3

Eldar: I accidentally rammed the enemy ship and mine just crumbled into dust...
still at lvl 1

Ork: never played orks. never will.

aaaaand again: thank you all who suggested ideas. I'll be trying them out

for marines
rely on your cannons more then your boarding
with lock on those cannons can have over 50% crit rate
its low firing speed so dont expect 50 cits per second but aprox 1 per 5seconds isnt rare to happen

also the dive in then run thing doesnt work
use probe to spot when you are still +50k away and send out torp after torp

once in, use marines maneuverability to cycle wich of your ships gets punished
marine ships have good turning and a short profile making it easier to run your ship that has its voids go down and hide behind one of your other ships until that ships voids start going down and you replace it again with the first
marine attack pattern would be like a helix if this game was in 3d, now its just kindof like intersecting ss

all of this changes ofcourse if you get a battlebarge wich you can use like a big F u shield for your smaller cruisers

but i think lvl3 you only have LC's so those you use like a chaos carrier fleet
get honing torps and detection skills and stay at 12k and hidden
its slow but reliable, only once you have your enemy with no functional systems left do you move in for the kill
2 marine LC's can kindof compare to a LC of another faction while close so considering their high point cost they will always lose in a fair fight
so dont make it fair, only attack enemies that cant fight back

for chaos, emission dissipators and running silent
except tau aircaste, marines or eldar, chaos ships are faster then others
fear the map edge and never let them get to 7.5k of you
if they cant spot you they cant shoot you
can also be done with augur disruption and a tzeensh ship if you want to get close but having a detection skill is more reliable
especially with a specialized crit lance fleet sinse it can reliably take out enemy engines and make it impossible for them to ever catch you
if instead you go carrier, its not a bad thing to show your ass, chaos has 50 armor all around, their ass is as defended as the rest and your bombers can hit everywhere, you miss out on a few turreted weapons but those dont do much

I have a max level Space Marines fleet, and my experience is as follows: With the first ships, abuse the crap out of bombardement cannons. Team up on one ship at a time, board it from all sides, go for shields, engine and weapons, then rince and repeat with the next one. Keep doing this with the next class, the attack cruiser. When you get the battle barges, just take the version with bombardement cannons, upgrade shields, take additional belt armour and more booster power...and start boarding and shooting the crap out of any enemy that you lay your eyes on. Honestly, these things wreak havoc on any AI fleet.

@sinkarma The Chaos issue can be rectified by using Silent Running and Probes to keep the enemy spotted and yourself un-spotted. splitting up can work, but its more micromanagement than its normally worth. Its better to just bring fewer but more powerful capital ships if you find yourself being caught out a lot. Nebulas also help a lot if your silent running is on cooldown, as does putting asteroids between yourself and an AI to do chip damage and kill off low hp targets.

Early Space marines aren't easy. They have very low hp and the lowest DPS stats of any faction. If the boarding thing isn't working for you, try to use bombers, bombardment cannons and torpedoes more and abuse the crap out of all the true-damage. It'll be worth it when you get your first battlebarge.

last edited by CALiGeR_Reborn

@sinkarma said in BFGA 1 - Failing miserably on easy:

Ah!
thanks for the replies everyone

Now as someone asked how do I play these races that I keep failing at:
Chaos: I am trying to keep my distance but this ends with me getting shot a lot in the rear and enemy eventually catches up... I have tried using a criss cross fight style where I slpit my force in 2 and hit them from 2 sides and boost away in 2 directions and rinse repeat. but it doesn't feel like its the best strategy even though it semi works...
got to about admiral lvl 6

Nah, that is one of their better strategies. You want them separated from one another because it dictates how the AI can engage you. And given their excessive range, it doesn't negatively impact them like it does other races.

Spess muriens!: I understand you're suppose to dive in, board then run away but all that happens for me is they get temporary critical damage that they repair... and with each pass I get hit back as well and my ships keep getting permanent critical damage... E.G. after 1 match I was sitting with 2 ships that both didn't have a single working module among them with the last remaining ork ship just popping his repair and fixing all his damaged weapons and blasting me to kingdom come.
got to about lvl 3

Make sure you're using Boarding Pods, not Teleportation Squads. The former can cause permanent criticals. The latter will only cause temporary ones. They're also surprisingly good at ramming, thanks to the huge front-ends on them.

Tau: Yea I kinda got into close range fights... that was dumb I realize now...
got up to lvl 3

Yeah, the Tau basically need to stay away, unless you're running an all auxiliary fleet. Then stick the "Point Defense Drone" upgrade on two Demiurgs, and watch everything in 3,000m of them suffer critical existance failure. 18DPS that always hits adds up very fast.

However, that said, the easiest strategy for Tau is still something strong (Auxiliary) in front, glass cannons in behind. They can literally win without you playing if you want (Not a joke: Set them on auto-abilities and go make a sandwich, you'll almost assuredly come back to a victory screen).

Eldar: I accidentally rammed the enemy ship and mine just crumbled into dust...
still at lvl 1

Yeah, the Eldar are bad at ramming. And stand-up combat. And most of the game modes. And existing longer than seven seconds.

Ork: never played orks. never will.

Oh man, you're missing out on one of the most fun races in the game!

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.