Option to resume online games (like the old PBEM)

Hi all,

I have been a long time lurker on this forum.

I play Single player BB since I have a young family and other responsibilities I am limited to Single Player but I tire of the poor AI.

That being said, I don't have much time to spend looking for games online.

I was playing Patchwork this morning while my wife had a lie-in and my daughter was distracted by Peppa Pig on the TV and I thought that it would be great for me if I could play BB in the same way that you play patchwork online.

The way it works in patchwork is that you have a list of current games with a time limit to complete your turn (In patchwork it is usually 24 hours). You have a lobby of ongoing games and you load a game up and take your turn. If there was something like this then I would definitely be able to play online, a bit like the old PBEM. Games took longer but I was still able to play. Some evenings if I was working from home I could get through a good number of turns so games didn't take weeks to play. If you miss your window then the match is forfeit.

This would be a separate way of playing matches and would not replace the current way of getting a match. This could also be an option in some leagues.

I fully understand that it isn't as feasible for BB as you may want to use an apo or sidestep during your opponents turn but if some things were turned auto e.g. Dodge it would speed some things up.

I would just like to open it up for discussion or how would this suggestion be tweaked to be workable. I am not very hopeful of this ever being implemented but if you don't ask...

last edited by pil2353

It has been asked before (in the BB1 days at least) but unfortunately they showed zero interest in doing so. 😞

I know @VoodooMike was talking on TFF about making a (separate) tool to play via PBeM (rather than reusing the old PBeM tool) but I don't know how much further he took it, if it ever went past the talk stage.

@darkson said in Option to resume online games (like the old PBEM):

I know @VoodooMike was talking on TFF about making a (separate) tool to play via PBeM (rather than reusing the old PBeM tool) but I don't know how much further he took it, if it ever went past the talk stage.

I put it on the backburner when GW announced they were taking up BB again, since I knew it meant they'd start messing with the rules, and I didn't want to build an entire BB implementation just in time to have to rebuild it with unknown differences. Turns out the differences weren't that big, though.

The idea, of course, was not simply to make a PBeM tool, but to make a full online BB implementation.. but by "house ruling" the actions that players take during the other players turn into automatic actions, each player's turn would require no input from the other player... meaning online matches and offline/pbem matches would function the same, allowing the transition from one to the other, or leagues where both types of matches were possible.

It certainly made it past the planning/talking stage and into the development stage, but never reached the point where matches could be played.

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.