Idea about season champion in champions cup

Just a simple idea here about the Champions cup and qualification for next season: at the moment when a team and coach become champion of a season they get the honor of becoming champion and win some prize money, after that the team is thrown into the bin and nothing happens with it anymore.

in multiple sports you do see that when a team/country becomes champion of a cup, they are automatically qualified for the next cup, thinking about that my proposal would be:

As another prize, the coach can choose to qualify with the team that became champion for next season, should the coach choose to do so:

• the coach is not allowed to play any games with that team in the upcoming season until the playoffs
  • the coach has to contact the admins at the end of the qualifying season (to counter inactivity)

to keep qualification interesting for all races nothing would change in the qualification system (same top race/wildcard system), so the top team of the race that the champion team of last season has still qualifies, you will just only have 1 less wildcard spot (although you could possibly remove the wildcard option for the champion race during qualification if preferred).

let me know what you guys think 🙂

last edited by Crystal_Hunter
BB2 Champion Ladder Admin Team

Interesting idea. Be good to see some other perspectives.

don't like this for those reasons:

a) does it fix some problem? no. so low priority and can create actual real problem.

b) who benefits? somebody clearly good enough to win the damn thing. I see such person having any benefit only if it is a time-strapped coach. which should be minority of people in playoffs anyways, just because CCL incentivizes (and should) playing more games.

c) who loses out. that #8 wildcard more often than not. only if the winning team was beaten into oblivion. otherwise you'd see something powergamey taking the top spot, like welves with +2 ST lvl7 wardancers who would not even be in any risk of dying before next playoffs. and playoffs themselves would be only 5 games...

d) hurts diversity in competition (literally same team in back-to-back playoffs).

Having said that, the core idea I do approve. champion teams are pretty much deadweight. Why not making a custom competition for such teams? as there is no guarantee none of them deleted, make a friendly one first with whoever still have those teams (have Fan Favorite still alive for looser conditions), then announce like next 8 champs going into something like champions league cup with monetary prize, so there's an incentive to keep the teams and/or return from exodus. given you'd gather champs over 8 seasons, you'd need to take away very little cash from current rewards to get a sizeable pool. take away 10 % of current 1st place and you will have a 400 eur pool for the people you took money from.

@crystal_hunter said in Idea about season champion in champions cup:

to keep qualification interesting for all races nothing would change in the qualification system (same top race/wildcard system), so the top team of the race that the champion team of last season has still qualifies, you will just only have 1 less wildcard spot (although you could possibly remove the wildcard option for the champion race during qualification if preferred).

While I can see the appeal from a sporting standpoint, the CCL seasons are less about finding the best coach in the world than they are about encouraging people to put in an effort, play a bunch of games without conceding all the time, and aim for an actual target rather than just focusing on defensive play to build up a team.

To that end, reducing the available slots people can aim for, and completely taking one of the better coaches out of circulation for a season seems a bit counterproductive. The winner of a season already gets 500 euro... that's a pretty decent prize for a game like this.

Changing which rosters qualify for the wildcard slots every season, either randomly or by using the least-played rosters from the previous season, is the best use of those slots in my opinion... I like the idea of variety!

@triperis

thanks for sharing your thoughts about my idea, if you dont mind i would like to take some time to react on your thoughts:

a) does it have to fix a problem? new ideas can bring in a new perspective about the ladder/cup and how it is going to be played, making ideas only to solve problems will stop us from thinking ''outside the box'', also i do agree this is low priority, however: its very simple to implement and not time-consuming at all.

b) we can turn that question around as well, surely the champion benefits but do you think its justified for a champion not to be able to defend his title in any way? (unless he does a great qualifying run again). also by implementing my idea we can increase the lifespan of teams that became champion, and if there are problems with that, we could also take the middle road and only allow the same champion to be in the next season cup for a certain amount of times (e.g. only 3 seasons in a row)
also i did call the idea an option , the champion doesnt have to take the option and can still do the qualifying run with another / same race

c) yes the #8 wildcard spot misses out, i dont see a big problem with that, i cant really make out anything from the rest of the comment because seasons circulate in a same way each season (qualifying + 5 playoff games), making no benefit for anyone.

d) if the champion race would be stripped from the wildcard spot, i dont see how it would hurt diversity in the ladder/cup, yes 1 team out of 32 stays the same for next season, but the rest of the format stays the same, you might even see a slight increase in diversity knowing that some coaches in CCL will know what the champion race is and might play a different race more often because of that

i appreciate your and other's thoughts on this :), if there's anything else on your mind pls post it here.

last edited by Crystal_Hunter

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.