Special Play Cards - when?

Why neither old game, nor BB2 implements them? They are in CRP, and seem like they bring some fun and diversity into play. Then why not to add them? Is it planned for future DLCs, at least?

In the newest tabletop rules (BB2016/Death Zone) they now allow both coaches to draw those Cards for free, before every match (number of cards to draw is tied to TV), plus you can buy additional cards with inducements. Seems like really interesting turn of events, adding a lot of variety. Afaicr, under CRP cards are inducements only, but as Cyanide already customizing rules a bit, why not implement cards from CRP, while distributing them same way as in the new rules? Perhaps as an optional feature.

last edited by Mori-Mori

It would be cool but I am guessing that the budget is tight and they want to release as much of important and more popular features as possible. Some just don't make the cut.

Oh, it seems I was wrong, in the end. Quoting CRP:

There are three methods recommended for a commissioner to choose from for using the Special Play Cards in his league.

1. The Special Play Card decks are added to the list of Inducements that each coach may purchase on page 28. Special Play Cards should be limited to no more than 5 total draws from all the decks.
  2. The Special Play Card decks are used in replacement of the Inducements listed on page 28. Special Play Cards should be limited to no more than 5 total draws from all the decks.
  3. Special Play Cards cannot be used as Inducement purchases. Each coach is instead given between 50,000 and 200,000 gold pieces (commissioner’s choice) useable solely for the purchase of Special Play Cards at the start of each match. This gold cannot be carried over beyond the current match and is in addition to any Inducement gold received by the team for this game.
    Note: If a league uses both the Special Play Cards and the Inducement System on page 28, coaches should be allowed to purchase Special Play Cards and see which card(s) they draw before purchasing any other inducements.

So even CRP actually allows to distribute those cards for free before each match! The only change I would still make here is to not allow coaches to choose decks for those free cards - I believe I heard from somebody on Fumbbl that meta already is devised, and some decks are considered much more useful than others, so it will reduce variety, as mostly only popular decks will be used. In addition, some decks are extremely powerful (they usually have less cards in them). So I think a better approach is to randomly choose a card from the whole set of all cards (like there is no decks at all) when handing them off to coaches - this way rare and powerful cards will have lesser chance to be drawn. For those cards purchased as inducements I think choice should be allowed, though.

@Memlok said in Special Play Cards - when?:

It would be cool but I am guessing that the budget is tight and they want to release as much of important and more popular features as possible. Some just don't make the cut.

Well, I can understand this, but still it's part of the core mechanics, and it really seems like something that may add much more flavor and fun to the game. Implementing it in the future could become one more selling feature for the game.

last edited by Mori-Mori

Cyanide can not code it in when the lads at FUMBBL can that's the reason.

I also agree the rule should be random card(s) should be drawn from 1 deck (all decks combined).

Community Manager

Special cards are fun. They were initially in the scope for Legendary.

But they're very complicated to implement in a video game because they add A LOT of weird rules and cases, generating a massive amount of bugs and issues.

Sadly you have to choose some features over others when you develop a game and we decided to prioritize core features like rez mode, team editor, new races, wissen tournament etc...

Hopefully we'll see them one day in the future, but it's not planned for now. We're focused on ironing out Legendary as much as possible.

last edited by Netheos

If they are implemented one day. When you create a league. It should optional.

Community Manager

@Nîme-l'Ancien said in Special Play Cards - when?:

If they are implemented one day. When you create a league. It should optional.

Sure, like the Mixed team and any "fun" addition.

The Chess player in me hates special events as they often unfairly unbalance games, So I am glad cards are not implemented , I do not find them fun at all.

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.