Freezing on loading screen to New Serene

I'm currently playing Greedfall, and I'm doing the quest "Old countries in a new world". I'm up to "Talk to Constantine about the two nations' leads about the malichor" and I'm trying to go back to New Serene. However every time I do, the game freezes on the loading screen. Everything else appears to work fine, I can go to other locations, it's just New Serene that is causing the issue.

The game isn't crashing, so there are no crash dumps. All my drivers are up to date, I've tried verifying files in steam (twice), I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but nothing seems to be working. I was hoping there was some kind of workaround, because I'd really like to continue playing the game.

I can go back to a much older save, about four hours earlier, and I can go to New Serene in that, but I'm concerned that when I get up to the same point in the quest again, it'll just freeze again. I've seen a couple of other posts about this online, but I couldn't find a solution.

I guess this is so old is doesn't matter anymore? I hope you've solved your issue?

I must admit it sounds very strange. If you solved it maybe you can tell what caused it?