Free the fallen trees!

@drgonzo1489 not just yours. i have thought the same. it makes a lot of sense to me and they would go hand and hand really. think of it, actually plowing a field.

@8up-local right!!! sooooo cool we will see but ever since i saw focus picked up spintires ive thought they may have had ideas lol

Here is a little example of jumping tree.

Brefore, the tree on the right of the truck, is deep in the ground :
0_1520358439384_20180306184433_1.jpg

After I touch the tree with my wheel, it jumps to get out of the ground :
0_1520358471032_20180306184459_1.jpg

In this particular example, it wouldn't be too much of a problem (specifically since I have a heavy truck). But in some cases with a uaz, it can get you stuck, or even tipped over.

I was watching one of Spun's videos the other day and that happened to him. Which makes me wonder if it has anything to do with your mod, or if it's just a bug in the game. If we assume he wasn't using your mod, or something similar, then the answer is obvious.

Youtube Video – [07:15..]

I should watch the entire vid again and see if he winches from any lying trees. If he does then we'd know he's not using the mod(or something similar).

@mudhappy
Yes, it may be related: a lying tree that has some part stuck in the ground.

Although this kind of bug (small truck that get catapulted) also happened to me once with a small branch, and I didn't modify these...

after thinking about it, this is nothing new really. i recall one of blackwaters maps for ST had this problem in an area where the logs he had laid as obstacles would jump out of the ground. if i remember right it has to do with the fact the tree is not a "fixed" object and is clipping through the ground a bit. when you touch it the log/tree wants to "return to normal" and on top of the ground. if that makes sense.

maybe i am wrong and my mind is fooling me again, but that is what i seem to remember.

@8up-local you're probably right.
What doesn't help with my game is that with my modifications, the lying trees are free to move in any direction...

Hey,

Resuming quickly this topic. I freed the lying trees, but I put back the AngularDamping, although I lowered it to 20.0 (instead of 40.0 originaly). I also added a LinearDamping of 20.0 as well. The aim of the AngularDamping and LinearDamping is to simulate the friction between the tree and the ground. As the names suggest, angular deals with rotating movements and linear with translating movements. And the higher the number, the harder it is to move the trees. 20.0 is slightly high in my opinion, but I wanted to keep the "challenge" of the lying trees.

Advantage of such high numbers:
because the movement is damped, the lying trees are less likely to tip or damage your truck, when they are in the ground (If you don't know what I mean, I talked about this issue in a previous post).

Drawbacks:
It does not elimate glitches : sometime (not very often though) a lying tree will get crazy and likely break your truck...
And if you crane a lying tree, it moves slowly (because the movement is heavily damped). I almost never crane lying trees, so that does not bother me...

I really believe the devs should consider making this "mod" official, although I understand that it can be a problem, for multiplayer mode in particular (complicated to synchronized the movements and positions of objects on the map?)

Below are the codes I use.
EDIT : I don't know why some parts of the code are highlighted, and some are not.

lying_spruce_a.xml :

<_templates Include="plants" />
<PlantBrand
	AttachToGround="false"
	DisableShadows="true"
	LocalYOcclusionOffset="0.1"
	PlantingGroups="LyingTree"
	PlantingMinSpacing="0.5"
>
	<PhysicsModel>
		<Body
			AngularDamping="20.0"
			LinearDamping="20.0"
			DebrisType="Foliage"
			ImpactType="Foliage"
			Mass="800.0"
			ModelFrame="Bone1_cdt"
			NoSoftContacts="true"
		>
			<Constraint BreakOffThreshold="200" Type="Fixed" />
			<Body _template="BushBranch" ModelFrame="Bone2_cdt">
				<Constraint _template="BushBranch" />
			</Body>
			<Body _template="BushBranch" ModelFrame="Bone3_cdt">
			</Body>
			<Body _template="BushBranch" ModelFrame="Bone4_cdt">
			</Body>
			<Body _template="BushBranch" ModelFrame="Bone5_cdt">
			</Body>
		</Body>
	</PhysicsModel>
	<Occlusion Intensity="0.5" Size="(4.0; 10.0)" Texture="occlusion_vertical.tga" />
	<GameData>
		<WinchSocket Pos="(-0.117; 0.055; 0.012)" ParentFrame="Bone1_cdt" />
	</GameData>
	<ChunksBreak Brands="chunks_spruce_a" Handler="LyingSpruce" Threshold="600" />
</PlantBrand>

lying_fir_a.xml :

<_templates Include="plants" />
<_parent File="lying_spruce_a" />
<PlantBrand>
	<PhysicsModel _noinherit="true">
		<Body
			DebrisType="Foliage"
			ImpactType="Foliage"
			Mass="800.0"
			ModelFrame="Bone0_cdt"
			NoSoftContacts="true"
		>
			<Constraint BreakOffThreshold="200" Type="Fixed" />
			<Body _template="BushBranch" ModelFrame="Bone5_cdt">
			</Body>
			<Body
				AngularDamping="20.0"
				LinearDamping="20.0"
				DebrisType="Foliage"
				ImpactType="Foliage"
				Mass="800.0"
				ModelFrame="Bone1_cdt"
				NoSoftContacts="true"
			>
				<Constraint AxisLocal="(0;1;0)" Type="UnlimitedHinge" />
				<Body _template="BushBranch" ModelFrame="Bone2_cdt">
				</Body>
				<Body _template="BushBranch" ModelFrame="Bone3_cdt">
				</Body>
				<Body _template="BushBranch" ModelFrame="Bone4_cdt">
				</Body>
			</Body>
		</Body>
	</PhysicsModel>
	<ChunksBreak Brands="chunks_fir_a" />
</PlantBrand>
last edited by minikeum

The parameters you can play with are:

• AngularDamping,
  • LinearDamping,
  • Mass (self-explanatory),
  • BreaOffTreshold (force you need to apply to the object before it detaches from the ground).

The way to post code is to start(first line) and end(last line) with ```.

For example:

Code goes here

@mudhappy thanks! I made the changes so that it is clearer