Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2: Developer Interview

This is my summary interview with the developers of Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2. I asked a number of questions to the developers about the sequel to the game and how they plan to make it bigger and better. This game takes place during the fall of Cadia and will explore everything around that period.

Youtube Video

how is the campaign system going to work in battlefleet gothic 2?

this game clearly leans toward grand strategy first of all. and for the campaign it is one of our main themes. in battlefleet gothic 1, the campaign map was not as advanced because of the mechanics. but in battlefleet gothic 2, we really wanted the player to manage several fleets instead of just one and being able to move several fleets on the map using different objectives. we really wanted to incentivize the player to explore the cadian sector. we have a lot of features related to the lore of the 40k universe, where the player has incentive to explore the cadian sector, because there is a lot of flavorful text, like small descriptions of every planet in the cadian sector. there is a cool 3D visual elements in the cadian sector. you can explore 12 sectors. you have all the famous sectors around the cadian gate, like of course cadia, agripinaa, belial IV, nemesis tessera, sentinel worlds, and many other locations. and each of these locations, we bring a huge level of detail to give the feel of the cadian sectors, because in every secor you can explore every system and in every system you can have different points of interest, like planets, space stations, and all that stuff and you can capture all this objective to acquire a bonus that's also related to the lore of the cadian sector. so there is a lot of diversity regarding the bonus, all the action the player may take. also it is important for the player to think in advance all his moves with all his fleets. you have this cool mechanic, where you can secure [warp lanes?] between systems in order to move faster with your fleet within the system you control . also there is this mechanic of supply lines. for example, the enemy has the ability to cut your supply line. if your agri world is not connected to your hive world, the hive world will start to starve and the population will slowly diminish. you have all these options. its very vast, very large. for example, regarding the imperial campaign, the campaign groups all the factions of the imperium of man, which is the imperial navy, adeptus mechanicus, and the adeptus astartes. in the imperial campaign you will be able to play all 3 factions. now that you have 3 different factions, it will give a lot of diversity for all combats, even the management aspect in the campaign, because you have so many options. in battlefleet gothic 1, for some players, the campaign was very long. some players say space battle is very repetitive. now that we have 3 different factions in the same campaign and we have 8 factions that you will face, there will not be 2 fights that will be the same. it will bring a huge level of diversity for the campaign. all the mechanics of light grand strategy is not as deep as total war, but it is more accessible. we know in bfg1 the player enjoyed the narrative aspect of the game, the cinematics, dialogue, voice acting, characters designs. many people love admiral spire. admiral spire will be the main character of the campaign. he will be back in a way that is very cool. we invest a lot of work in having a high level of quality regarding all the cinematics and all the narratives. and we try to find all the cool voice actors from bfg1 to get back into bfg2. the narrative will be very important in battlefleet gothic 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uux37CBB7jc
to be continued

@valrak your soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooolw!

I see some really familiar faces here.

Gonna have to hold my breath about the MP balance. I honestly hope they re-evaluated the product from the ground up from a MP perspective and did their best to improve it for the long-run.

last edited by LKHERO

Just wanted to say thanks, Valrak. I appreciate the legwork you're doing in getting us information.

Also, the campaign information sounds absolutely rad.

Nioce. I'll pay for the Chaos Campaign DLC. 🙂

Right, so now having watched both videos here are my gripes/concerns:
-New boarding mechanics. Crew as HP wot. 4 factions don't have shield blockers (Necrons nids and all eldar) so this will either be useless or hideously overpowered.
-Instinctive Behavior: Required for balancing but will be enraging for the nid players, especially if the damaged ships in multiplayer thing stays around.
Though I may have gotten some things wrong as dear me that was the most french of accents I have ever heard. I was barely able to parse it.
-No Necron Maneuvers. Literally why. Lorewise they are the most maneuverable faction they won't ever be able to ram anything who thought this was a good idea?
-Inertialess drives are microwarp jumps. Why. This will either be hideously overpowered or, more likely (with his low quality comment) extremely bad. They are supposed to be uber all ahead full ffs Tindalos why.
-Still no fleet painter
-Focus on cruiser clash over everything else
-No superships in multiplayer : (
-No mods : (

Good things I (think I) heard
-Lots of gathering storm necron focus
-Narrative focus
-All other campaigns added later
-All races in campaign
-Super Ships Confirmed (I WAS RIGHT HAH)
-Famous Systems such as aggripan
-All major characters (Tollzyn confirmed, Necron campaign confirmed to be in the humor genre. Also roubute beware Clonelord says trazyn stronk)
-SPIRE
-Rework of morale system
-Necron Regen
-understand Necron weaponry is different and split fire confirmed
-Says "good at teleportion stuff" so maybe necrons portals confirmed(?)
-He knows multiplayer was broken in half.
-Sounds lots of subfactions to choose from
-No DLC (planned)
-Definately in 2018

last edited by Nemesor Xanxas

@nemesor-xanxas said in Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2: Developer Interview:

Right, so now having watched both videos here are my gripes/concerns:
-New boarding mechanics. Crew as HP wot. 4 factions don't have shield blockers (Necrons nids and all eldar) so this will either be useless or hideously overpowered.
-Instinctive Behavior: Required for balancing but will be enraging for the nid players, especially if the damaged ships in multiplayer thing stays around.
Though I may have gotten some things wrong as dear me that was the most french of accents I have ever heard. I was barely able to parse it.
-No Necron Maneuvers. Literally why. Lorewise they are the most maneuverable faction they won't ever be able to ram anything who thought this was a good idea?
-Inertialess drives are microwarp jumps. Why. This will either be hideously overpowered or, more likely (with his low quality comment) extremely bad. They are supposed to be uber all ahead full ffs Tindalos why.
-Still no fleet painter
-Focus on cruiser clash over everything else
-No superships in multiplayer : (
-No mods : (

Good things I (think I) heard
-Lots of gathering storm necron focus
-Narrative focus
-All other campaigns added later
-All races in campaign
-Super Ships Confirmed (I WAS RIGHT HAH)
-Famous Systems such as aggripan
-All major characters (Tollzyn confirmed, Necron campaign confirmed to be in the humor genre. Also roubute beware Clonelord says trazyn stronk)
-SPIRE
-Rework of morale system
-Necron Regen
-understand Necron weaponry is different and split fire confirmed
-Says "good at teleportion stuff" so maybe necrons portals confirmed(?)
-He knows multiplayer was broken in half.
-Sounds lots of subfactions to choose from
-No DLC (planned)
-Definately in 2018

Well it makes sense that they are doubling down on single player it was the only thing that was good about the first game. I do hope they fix multiplayer though and some of the things i heard could make the pvp less crappy but who knows.

i dont see the shields being a big issue, atleast not related to boardign
nids wont care, eldar wont suffer more then they already do and necrons need a weakspot... probably
do wonder how boarding will work, for example marines dont kill every crew they can find, some faction specific traits still letting them target systems?
i dont see shields as being a problem at all, you wont kill a ship with teleportations only and i like the idea of killing the crew
khorne bezerkers should have always done something like that

nids in MP might not be as heavily nerfed as you fear
your main ship will be the only one with skills so will be most protected anyway, depends how big and scary the main hive ship is, anyway the nids will be protecting it just like everyone else
also depends on how repopulating a ship works, how much crew do you lose if you send them to the other ship? 50%?
would mean nids just get more targets to nom again
again not sure, need to play it to really know

depends how fast necrons are on their own, you can ram without boost and for non eldar you can jump away,
is it the best way of giving necron maneuvrability? no definetly not, but necrons also dont use thrusters in the lore i read so its an idea, high energy turns where not an option
we shall see
mostly depends on how they move beyond the jumping

dont really care

probably for the best, but will have campaign side objectives
pvp CC was the best anyway, the rest is hell to balance and hopefully you can set up custom games if you want to play breakthrough anyway

balance dude, else it would just be super vs super

@ashardalon said in Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2: Developer Interview:

i dont see the shields being a big issue, atleast not related to boardign
nids wont care, eldar wont suffer more then they already do and necrons need a weakspot... probably
do wonder how boarding will work, for example marines dont kill every crew they can find, some faction specific traits still letting them target systems?
i dont see shields as being a problem at all, you wont kill a ship with teleportations only and i like the idea of killing the crew
khorne bezerkers should have always done something like that

nids in MP might not be as heavily nerfed as you fear
your main ship will be the only one with skills so will be most protected anyway, depends how big and scary the main hive ship is, anyway the nids will be protecting it just like everyone else
also depends on how repopulating a ship works, how much crew do you lose if you send them to the other ship? 50%?
would mean nids just get more targets to nom again
again not sure, need to play it to really know

depends how fast necrons are on their own, you can ram without boost and for non eldar you can jump away,
is it the best way of giving necron maneuvrability? no definetly not, but necrons also dont use thrusters in the lore i read so its an idea, high energy turns where not an option
we shall see
mostly depends on how they move beyond the jumping

dont really care

probably for the best, but will have campaign side objectives
pvp CC was the best anyway, the rest is hell to balance and hopefully you can set up custom games if you want to play breakthrough anyway

balance dude, else it would just be super vs super

maybe you can replenish your crew via ''boarding'' your own vessel, if you can recrew a a drifting hulk what would oppose it

will there be faction specific recrewing ?

an inquisitorial fleet would never consider recrewing a tainted murder

or how is the eldar supposed to pilot a necron tomb ship

nids would chew on the control room anyway

i wonder how far they can push it, if they find it not too gimmicky that is

pretty sure you can only recrew your own ships

also more boarding questions, for example will lightning strike be different from boarding?
can you lower crew points with boarding so that future lightning strikes targeting systems are easier?
is the crew hp a binary, will having half crew lower cooldowns? or even weapon firerate? or is it just to make it a hulk?
can you take cover behind a hulk and will it still take hull damage while a hulk?
so many questions!
i really hope they combine the old system with the new instead of just having a crew hp and thats it
can fires reduce crew? even more questions!

Actually I dislike the idea of recrewing. These are ships with crews with minimums of tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands to maybe millions for the larger.

Additionally, the crew mechanic is sort of awkward in concept. In TT it was impossible to board Tyranid ships for example, moreover, Tyranid ships don't have a crew to kill.

@kadaeux Agreed. And even if you killed everything in a Tyranid ship, it would just spawn more (and wouldn’t care as it wasn’t piloted in the first place). I just can’t see this mechanic ending well.

@kadaeux Agreed. And even if you killed everything in a Tyranid ship, it would just spawn more (and wouldn’t care as it wasn’t piloted in the first place). I just can’t see this mechanic ending well.

The only way I could see it working for Tyranids is if instead of strictly being crew it represented the health of a ships spore cloud vents, reducing their protection.

@kadaeux Another mechanic that concerns me is that I noticed they mentioned every factor of the Necron fleet except it’s armor. Which is concerning as they don’t use shields. At all. While I normally would pass on this as time constraints they mentioned everything else, even going into minor details like how the weapons can split fire and possibly portals. Added to how they are removing maneuvering and messing with inertialess drives this is not something I can ignore. If they mentioned things as small as the above they should really focus on the big aspects, like the hills that ignore celestial phenomena and give them the only armor save in the game. Lore wise they were horrifyingly tanky, with Cairn’s igniting fleets worth of firepower (including an apocalypse class I believe) and taking no damage from nova cannon shots. Hell, even light cruisers were horrifyingly tanky, taking superficial damage from said nova cannon shots and infamously running the sol gauntlet to reach mars. But neither this nor their stealth are mentioned. Maybe I’m overanylyzing but their silence on the matter worked me, especially considering they are already altering fleet mechanics.

...Did everyone watch the same video as I did?

They already said you won't be able to wipe out the crew of a Tyranid ship.
They also said if your crew gets wiped out on a ship, you can board it with your own forces to reactivate it.

I also think the multiplayer boys are being impossible. Everyone demands a balanced multiplayer. So they take away the things that would imbalance it - superships, different game modes and the leveling system - and they're still upset about it. Poor bastards can't win.

The only thing that disappointed me in this interview was the lack of mod support.

Don't quote me on it, but I'm 95% certain that's northern English. It's definitely not French, I can tell you that much.

@romeo I meant the devs, not valrak. Tindalos is a French company, which is why valrak went to France. They are most definitely French, as is their accent.

We are also talking mostly about the raw audio cut (the 30min one with the devs) so we might actually be talking about different videos.

last edited by Nemesor Xanxas

@romeo I meant the devs, not valrak. Tindalos is a French company, which is why valrak went to France. They are most definitely French, as is their accent.

We are also talking mostly about the raw audio cut (the 30min one with the devs) so we might actually be talking about different videos.

Ah, totally misunderstood you on that one.

I find Tindalos super easy to understand (Being Canadian), whereas I have to focus with Valrak.

In the pve superships, what prevents to add? (

I am a bit concerned over the crew health thing myself.

As for necrons I think in a video we saw that they got 75 all around armour.

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.