Coping with this game

Hi all,

I have just recently purchased this game after quitting BB1 back in 2013. I have ever since been playing tabletop ( I started playing it back in first edition with the hardback book) so while I know I'm not by far the best, I know I play decent and placed well in tabletop tournaments and such.

I'm not here to rant, but to sincerely ask for advice on how to cope with this game as it is frustrating. I know it is a luck game, but the things I see happen online I never see happen on tabletop, and I play on a weekly basis almost. And again, is not just to me, sometimes it is to my opponent.

Yesterday, out of 3 games I played, first one was bad on my opponent, second one I was playing Nurgle vs elves, and I ended up with 4 guys off the field to none of his, and I could not pick up a ball on 3+ even with rerolls. Las game was even worse, I was with my Slann/kislev team (same I usually play tabletop) and could not even manage to score once. I could not do a single pass on a 2+, or even 2+ jumps or dodges with dodge skill. Then I was also only giving my opponent one block a turn as much as possible, and still he kept on injuring my guys.

My bear has still not caused a single injury in so many games. My thought is that because of how rolls work on this game, I think strategic and agility teams can't really be successful in this game, and you need to play things like chaos, or dwarves and such,

Could you guys please give me some advice on how you guys cope with this as it is starting to get frustrating and I think I just spend the worst 45 quid in my life just 3 days ago?

Thanks,

£45? after you already knew that you didn't like BB1? this what sales are for.

I'd say, don't play more than two games in a day.
Unless of the first two were great. 😉

@koadah said in Coping with this game:

don't play more than two games

45€ for the legendary edition.

I love the game, I play tabletop as much as I can and I quit for different reasons. I also hope that with a new version the dice rolling would be improved to an actual proper engine and not just a seed.

Again, not wanting to rant, just quick opinion on how people copes with it.

HAve you guys found that for a league to place well it is much better to play bashy teams? specially on eternal ones.

BB2 Champion Ladder Admin Team

@kaintxu said in Coping with this game:

I also hope that with a new version the dice rolling would be improved to an actual proper engine and not just a seed.

What's the difference and how can you tell?

@dode74 Hi, not here to complain again, just wanted to advise as it gets frustrating to play a game I've loved for over 20 years, and wanted to hear from people trying to make agi teams work and not having to resort to bash (I also love orcs but then you get gutted at high TV vs Chaos - with the new PO from actual table top was also implemented here).

As for the roll types, it is different a seed where you are assigned a number from a seed than rolling every time. No idea if you are a programmer yourself or just an online community manager, but if you are also part of the former you probably already know, but not the topic of the thread

I wouldn't pay more than around £16 for this. That was the lesson learned from buying BB1. 😉

The RNG is fine according to the people who know about these things and all available data. Sometimes Nuffle will screw you. Sometimes he will screw the other guy.
People who get screwed twice in a row often go on tilt and blame their problems in the third on Nuffle, when it was really down to their own freaked out play.

After the fourth game they may well come raving on the forums like a dribbling maniac. 😉

It doesn't help that many people are not as good as they think they are and blame the RNG for being outplayed.

They probably won't fix CPOMB so you're stuck with it. If you are talking about playing in COL then yeah, build a nice killer chaos team and join the fun.
If you want something a little less silly, join a good league. I'm sure that Dode will give you some recommendations.

And drop all that "are you a programmer" stuff before Mike gets here. 😉

@koadah Hi, I was not trying to offend anyone, nor doubt anyone.

quick question to begin with. What is COL?

As for the RNG thing and skill, as I said I know I'm not the best, but when what I fail are several catch attempt in a row on a 2+ or like yesterday 4 ball pick ups, or my bear has not yet done a single wound even hitting AV7 and many other things, then we are talking dice.

If I was giving my opponent 10 blocks a turn it would be regular to lose as many players, but I'm not talking about leaving openings or misplays (which I know I've done and don't mind losing to that) as I play the same as tabletop for I fair decent enough, and again, as I was saying, I'm not coming to this because I only lose, as I was saying it went my way yesterday on a game. I'm talking about how many 1's in a row are rolled so often, it ain't like you roll a 1 then a 3, then another 1 and such, but suddenly you get all 1's in a row.

Anyway, the thing about this that games should not balance in a way where it is broken either one way or the other, and some days you will get the lucky side and others the bad one, but more per game.

Back on topic, any tips about ways to play agi teams and not be utterly destroyed (you as an example last season champion were all Bash teams)

@dode74 Hi, not here to complain again, just wanted to advise as it gets frustrating to play a game I've loved for over 20 years, and wanted to hear from people trying to make agi teams work and not having to resort to bash (I also love orcs but then you get gutted at high TV vs Chaos - with the new PO from actual table top was also implemented here).

Well agi teams tend to win more than other teams, but can have a tougher time surviving. Maybe watch a few replays from some of the bigger streamers.

As for the roll types, it is different a seed where you are assigned a number from a seed than rolling every time. No idea if you are a programmer yourself or just an online community manager, but if you are also part of the former you probably already know, but not the topic of the thread

I know the practical difference, but in terms of what you see there is no difference. It frustrates me when people blame the RNG when it is just as good at producing random numbers as dice are.

when what I fail are several catch attempt in a row on a 2+ or like yesterday 4 ball pick ups, or my bear has not yet done a single wound even hitting AV7 and many other things, then we are talking dice.

Yes, it's called bad luck, that's all.

There are plenty of good scheduled leagues out there if that would suit. I think many would opine that they're the best place to play anyway. Orca Cola has just started a new season, so you could join the reserves, and there is REBBL which is Reddit based for example. A quick google will find you a good number of them. You are more than welcome to come and join us on the CCL Discord and ask for ideas from others if you wish.

@dode74

Thanks for the league suggestion, already in the waiting list for a couple (OCC and UKBBL)

You say you don't see the same things happening on tabletop, but if you played 100s of games of TT in a short space of time you would (and I say this as a TT player).
I organise a annual tournament, and don't always have to play, so as I wander around watching the games I see all sorts of weird things happen on the table.
Hell, I've even played in TT games where I've thought "WTF", like my Khemri team that turned into a dodging & passing machine after going 3-0 to a Wood Elf team in 6 turns (to come back for a 3-3 draw).

P.S. I think you meant you played 2nd edition if you had hardback books, 1st edition were all softbacks.

last edited by Darkson

@dode74

Just as a side note, first game of the day, I move all my guys, I pick the ball with an age 4 catcher and miss reroll saves me (1st reroll gone), first block vs a chaos warrior with my bear, both down, he passes my armor, I don´t pass his.

On his turn 2 KO and another stunned out of 3 blocks, my turn I try a pass double one, on his turn another stun on, on my turn I try another pass, another double 1.

Game over. but lets keep trying

turn three fumbled pass with age 4 catcher and reroll, turn 4 same thing have not been able to do anything.

4 retools gone in 4 turns in pass items ago 4 team, quick passes

End of first half 6 players off the team and my opponent has not used a single reroll for a pick up or pass with agi 3 team. BTW not a single armor passed vs AV8, same as my guys and a few are outside.

Failed 5/7 KO regaining rolls.

How can it be that my last 2 games yesterday were like this and my first one, all rolls have screwed me three turns in a row

This is broken definitely for an agi team

last edited by kaintxu

Second half pretty much the same, Handover I need to use reroll, quick pass for the TD both AGI 4 players, again a 1, next turn I Try to pick up, double one again.

for the second time in a row on the same game I suffer 2 turnovers with 4 out of 5 rolls 1´s in a row.

and third turn, I try and jump and down on my first action, so again 3 turns in a row turnover on the first roll.

last edited by kaintxu

How can it be that my last 2 games yesterday were like this and my first one, all rolls have screwed me three turns in a row

Bad luck.

This is broken definitely for an agi team

It really isn't. I can see how you might feel that way but the fact is you're looking at a tiny sample size. There's also the possibility of perception bias. I comment onesandskulls.com to you so you can check those roll rates.

@dode74

No dode, I agree the game balances, but my point stand, individual games are balance with one guy being very lucky and the other super unlucky. But matches themselves are not balanced per se, it´s 3 games in a row the same. There is not what it is called internal balance.

I have not been able to do a single pass all game long, and even picking up the ball was challenging. 0 amours passed

just so that you get an idea, I have more leveled up linemen than catchers with
Kislev due to MVP´s

Starting another game, I will tell you about it.

BTW about statistics, remember rolling 1´s constantly when you needed 2+, and rolling 3´s when you need 4+ is part of what is broken. Or for example for armor, cool you roll a 6, but it always goes with a 1 vs AV 7-8

last edited by kaintxu

No dode, I agree the game balances, but my point stand, individual games are balance with one guy being very lucky and the other super unlucky. But matches themselves are not balanced per se, it´s 3 games in a row the same. There is not what it is called internal balance.

Of course such games can, and do, happen. That's the nature of dice, not just RNGs. It's a general Blood Bowl problem (if we think it is a problem) rather than a BB2 PC game problem. I've had whole seasons go that way: it happens when you play enough but you remember it more| than you do the more "normal" games.

BTW about statistics, remember rolling 1´s constantly when you needed 2+, and rolling 3´s when you need 4+ is part of what is broken. Or for example for armor, cool you roll a 6, but it always goes with a 1 vs AV 7-8

Yes, I'm well aware of that. That has nothing to do with whether the dice are rolling right though.

@dode74

first block of my opponent it´s an injury (luckily nothing serious)

Turn 2 again I lose the turn on a 2+ jump with preroll. My opponent has another done another injury and 2 more stunned

first roll of turn 3 it´s bone head, and another 1

last edited by kaintxu

@dode74

for injuries in the first half, again failed a 2+ dodge which I had to reroll, which I Failed on a jump with a catcher to injure myself.

Of course the game is balanced. I still have no broken a single armor. I have 4 injuries and 3 stunned

Second game in a row with no armours passed on my side. 6´s game in a row my bear does not achieve a single wound

last edited by kaintxu

Second half starts the same.

I pick up the ball and double 1 on my pass to go and try and form a sideline cage with Kislev

last edited by kaintxu

Yep, we've all had those games. Thing is, you're not telling me anything about what has gone right, because something must have. That's what I mean about perception bias. Post up a replay file or something.

@dode74 only thing that has gone well is 1 TD in 2 turns (agi 4 team) were there were only 2 2+ rolls involved.

Everything else has been screwed, and I ended up losing

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.