'retard' insult is bigotry

I see 'retard' in chat as an insult; it is bigotry and pushes away autistic players.

Insurgency compared to when I played league 6 years ago there are far less slurs, I've seen no one say fag or nigger in chat like then but think that's a low bar. There's also a lot less gay slurs compared to my corp in EVE but still I think the community could do better as a whole.

I'm ashamed of myself, I haven't really stood up for other people after hearing someone say retard or type in chat as an insult to put people down. I think we should start vote kicking offenders/start standing up for disabled players.

What I'm referring to is independent of calling yourself a retard if you make a mistake or to a friend but instead to purposefully harm. What are your thoughts?

Lol, you serious bro ?

Speaking as someone on the spectrum:

Grow a thicker skin.

last edited by SaltyBread

@SaltyBread said in 'retard' insult is bigotry:

Speaking as someone on the spectrum:

Grow a thicker skin.

The way I read the initial post, Livoio is not complaining about being called a retard, but people using the term in chat in general, and I agree that it's an insult. Frankly, it's also unhelpful and unnecessary.

So, another player did something stupid or didn't understand a game mechanic, it happens. I try to give pointers to players like: "Hey <Player>, watch the HUD so you know to get back on the objective" or "Did you know that STALEMATE means there's an equal number of attackers and defenders on the objective?" etc

@Livoio I'd recommend reporting those players in-game.

Now that you've gotten your virtue signaling out of the way... I want to address your insensitivity and bigotry against homosexuals with your use of " less 'gay' ". it came into original use for something bad or negative and used in a manner meant to slur gays because of the condemnation of homosexuality. Statistically, there will be far more gays reading this post and in game chat than there will ever be mentally challenged. Don't EVER use that term again. You should be ashamed of yourself. One for your original post; Two, for your inconsistency.

last edited by Urnodaisy

@Livoio said in 'retard' insult is bigotry:

I see 'retard' in chat as an insult; it is bigotry and pushes away autistic players.

Insurgency compared to when I played league 6 years ago there are far less slurs, I've seen no one say omegle tv fag or nigger in chat like then but think that's a low bar. There's also a lot less gay slurs compared to my corp in EVE but still I think the community could do better as a whole.

I'm ashamed of myself, I haven't really stood up for other people after hearing someone say retard or type in chat as an insult to put people down. I think we should start vote kicking offenders/start standing up for disabled players.

What I'm referring to is independent of calling yourself a retard if you make a mistake or to a friend but instead to purposefully harm. What are your thoughts?

Hello, folk.
According to your explanation, you are not complaining about being called a retard, but people using the term in chat in general, and I also agree that it is an insult. Frankly, it is also unhelpful and unnecessary.

So, another player did something stupid or didn't understand a game procedure, it happens. I try to give pointers to players like: "Hey <Player-1>, watch the HUD so you know to get back on the objective" or "Did you know that STALEMATE means there's an equal number of attackers and defenders on the objective?" etc. Hope this answer is great for you.
Enjoy, Love from India.