Unrealistic matchmaking : just venting !

Seriously i just had 6 game 4-2-0 with a fresh team, then on my 7th match i get matched with a killer chaos team with 330 matches under their belt and 500 tv higher than me . Result 2 consecutive concession during inducement phase . I can t wait LE for perputal league with the AI sometime MM kills all the fun

@dragonloup
2 concessions? Great, now I know how this killer chaos team could make 330 matches...

@dragonloup said in Unrealistic matchmaking : just venting !:

Seriously i just had 6 game 4-2-0 with a fresh team, then on my 7th match i get matched with a killer chaos team with 330 matches under their belt and 500 tv higher than me

By 500 TV you mean 380 TV - and some of that difference was water weight (treasury in excess of 150k) which we know because you were matched with that same team in the next pool, and despite having no skill-ups, its TV went up by 50 (that's not TVPlus's zSum - which is not factored into the reported TV).

That you were paired with that same team twice tells us that it was a case of there being nobody else around to play against. That's the problem with a small playerbase - there isn't a wide variety of people to choose from when matchmaking, and it's not going to choose nobody.

I'd also be more sympathetic if not for the fact that you're playing a Chaos Dwarf team, so its not that you hate bash.. you hate being out-bashed. You didn't seem to mind large TV differences the day before when you played 450 up for example.

The fix for bad matches is better match-level balancing, not better matchmaking. Matchmaking is about picking the best opponent from the pool of available opponents... and when there's only one, it can't magically conjure a better on to match you with.

And previous to that team i tried a serie of game with dark elves team . I do not hate bash quite the opposite . That being said the online environement is highly bashy and lack in diversity so to be able to have a minimum of tv development the average player need to play with a bash team and it is a vicious circle in term of team you face all the time. Anyway this was not my point . My point was that with 300+ game he has a skill set i can not match with 6 matches behind me no matter the inducement you stick to it , as for my previous game where i had higher tv , it did not give me a massive skill set over my opponent with 5 games . Nothing stop anyone as i did to pass the match if they consider themselves outmatch . We actually should have an option to pass a match without having to concede. Concession should only be once the match has started. At least that s my opinion . At the end of the day i do play to have fun so if i face a team with higher tv and i know i neither have the skill set as a team nor a coach to stand against them i do no see why i should spoil my pleasure just because you say so.

last edited by dragonloup

My point was that with 300+ game he has a skill set i can not match with 6 matches behind me no matter the inducement you stick to it

I guess we'll never know, though, since you conceded the match before it even began, right? I'm pretty sure there exists an amount of inducements that would level the playing field regardless of the difference in development, but whether 380k is that amount.. who knows? Probably not... it'd probably need to be quite a bit more... but again... we'll never know.

We actually should have an option to pass a match without having to concede.

We really shouldn't. If we want people to be able to pick which matches they're going to play then we should ditch MM altogether and move to a challenge-based open league. Then you can cherrypick to your heart's content without making your opponent wait the pooling period to find out if you're going to bother playing or make them wait another 5 minutes for another "maybe, if I feel like it" match.

At the end of the day i do play to have fun so if i face a team with higher tv and i know i neither have the skill set as a team nor a coach to stand against them i do no see why i should spoil my pleasure just because you say so.

Because your opponent is not a robot... and you're saying you should be able to spoil their pleasure just because you say so. At some point multiplayer gaming is a social contract in which you're saying that yes, it's about having fun, but that it's about everyone involved having fun, not you selfishly having fun at everyone else's expense.

I'd love to see better match balancing in open MM, but barring that, people need to be willing to play the games they get or to stay out of MM. Conceding because "I just don't wanna" is kind'v a dick move.

@VoodooMike said in

Because your opponent is not a robot... and you're saying you should be able to spoil their pleasure just because you say so. At some point multiplayer gaming is a social contract in which you're saying that yes, it's about having fun, but that it's about everyone involved having fun, not you selfishly having fun at everyone else's expense.

I'd love to see better match balancing in open MM, but barring that, people need to be willing to play the games they get or to stay out of MM. Conceding because "I just don't wanna" is kind'v a dick move.

I never said i wanted to spoil anyone pleasure. I never have as much fun as when i have a coach with a similar level in front of me . When one is clearly overpowered due to bad match making i do not see why one should go through that and waste 2 hours playing punching ball . It s not the fault of the guys involved but i do not see it as dick move to walk out before the match start. It s a dick move to take the inducement , start the game drop a wizz and walk out like some do. We both agree that MM is not perfect . Conceding is a fact in online match. The online environement differ from tabletop (league or competition match) and i beleive there is some adjustement to do to enhance the experience for everyone. I am looking forward LE as well asthe new AI . We had this discussion about the AI already so i m not starting it again. That being said if it brings more diversity among the races involved in MM , then you may see coach trying more alternative race than bashy races. Time will tell

Anyway that should conclude that threads before it goes out of hand like on the old forum

BB2 Champion Ladder Admin Team

League play usually puts you in a position for similar strength matchups, so you may look into that...

I'm not sure about that. In league play you normally have a set schedule. If your team gets wrecked, your schedule doesn't change. You just get to face that next team with positionals out and at a big TV difference. In MM if you lose a few players on average your next matchup will be against a lower TV team than if you hadn't lost players, so to me overall attrition just doesn't matter in MM.

Overall I find league play much more fun, but there is no limit on the TV difference.

@Javelin said in Unrealistic matchmaking : just venting !:

I'm not sure about that. In league play you normally have a set schedule. If your team gets wrecked, your schedule doesn't change. You just get to face that next team with positionals out and at a big TV difference. In MM if you lose a few players on average your next matchup will be against a lower TV team than if you hadn't lost players, so to me overall attrition just doesn't matter in MM.

Overall I find league play much more fun, but there is no limit on the TV difference.

If you play a season on tabletop i have no issue having a massive tv difference vs an opponent that had the same amount of game than me . It s blood bowl , a few bad choice , a few bad rolls can destroy your team and you are stuck for the season. That is part of the game. Where i had a issue is the fact that in 6 game you only as much spp as you can gather , distributed quite often partly on key players partly randomly. On the opposite side with 300 games you simply customize your all team the way you want to including rolling a certain number of doubles along the way.

My point was that with 300+ game he has a skill set i can not match with 6 matches behind me no matter the inducement you stick to it

With 500TV down, you could have 2-3 bribes and come back at him by constantly fouling his best players starting turn 1. And you still would have had money for 2 babes + extra apo if you are worrying about your unskilled digital pixels that much. Sorry, but that just sounds pathetic.

last edited by Mori-Mori

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.