Blender and STMR

**:EDIT: For anyone looking for tips and general help with using Blender for Spintires/Mudrunner, there is an awesome thread on the Oovee forums that includes lots of useful info, so check the below link if you're interested (The Oovee website can be a little unreliable sometimes, but works, so just refresh the page if its not working or check later):

http://www.oovee.co.uk/forum/topic/11265-blender-3d-and-spintires/ **

I'm using Blender to put mod into the game - I'm finding the scaling a little off i.e. blender says that an item is 1m x 1m, but in the game its doesn't appear to be the correct size compared to the stock assets. Does this mean that Blender's measurements are just numbers, or STMR uses a slightly different scale? I'm not an expert on modelling, so may have missed something completely obvious.

Is anyone aware of any tools or models import into my session that I can use to compare my model in Blender against to ensure that it is the right size before I export it? Or even a formula to be able to check how big it will be in game compared to real life measurements?

last edited by Kingpinn

Blender User right here <---

the blender scale can be switched and no it is not off is perfect (better than 3dsMax in some cases of parenting and linking objects)
add me on steam Kingpinn

@Forces thanks dude, I'll add you up a little later. The main thing I have been working on is wheels, I've got a couple of trucks that I want to get into the game, but I need to do some additional modelling with those first. I thought of using a model of a person to compare wheels and truck sizes or making a ruler for blender and then importing it into the game so I can measure the game assets in the actual game itself, but was hoping someone might have already done this lol.

last edited by Kingpinn

@kingpinn switch units to imperial in the scene tab it world can't remember which atm but that sets grid to feet and inches. Will show as chains and yards when zoomed out

last edited by DrGoNzO1489

@kingpinn said in Blender and STMR:

@Forces thanks dude, I'll add you up a little later. The main thing I have been working on is wheels, I've got a couple of trucks that I want to get into the game, but I need to do some additional modeling with those first. I thought of using a model of a person to compare wheels and truck sizes or making a ruler for blender and then importing it into the game so I can measure the game assets in the actualy game itself, but was hoping someone might have already done this lol.

i use the scale in meters and to make a wheel I add 2 cylinders for reference (wheel and Rim) and once I want to make the ruber I first add the new cylinder model and for radius let say i want a 35in wheel i add to the radius of it 35/2in and that will give me a perfect 35in tall tire and same for the rim and for depth is the actual width of the tire (35s are either 36in 9in depth to 13in depth depending on some model/makes) but thats the way I make them

@DrGoNzO1489 I currently have set the values to Metric, which is what I thought STMR uses as its dimensions.

@Forces ah, I see, thats a good shout actually, I'll probably adapt this method. Thank you.

Something else I have noticed last night when messing about:

I put a set of wheels in-game; in Blender the wheel was measuring a radius of 0.9 metres, but in STMR I have to set the radius at 0.8 in the wheels class xml so that the wheels are on the ground, at 0.9 the wheel appears to float. Also, regarding the rubber radius in the mesh xml, I thought this was the tyre profile, which when I use the mesurements from blender, the actual wheel rim starts to bend and not just the tire, so I use a much lower value than is actually the case to stop the rim from warping.

As mentioned above, my understanding is that STMR uses the Metric (M/CM) as its mesuring format, if this is the case, why is it that the STMR measurements appear to be different to Blenders? Is it that STMR is slightly vague when it comes to absolute values in terms of dimentions or am I just doing something wrong? 😆

On a side note, is it worth turning this topic into a Blender and STMR resource thread? I just thought that there was one on the Oovee forum but not here, and might help new users.

"regarding the rubber radius in the mesh xml, I thought this was the tyre profile, which when I use the mesurements from blender, the actual wheel rim starts to bend and not just the tire, so I use a much lower value than is actually the case to stop the rim from warping."

have a couple of cm away from the rim the measure isnt perfect same with the radius, the colision cylinder that gets generated in the xml isnt a perfect cylinder so it will have areas that go over the ruber and some under the rubber

"As mentioned above, my understanding is that STMR uses the Metric (M/CM) as its mesuring format, if this is the case, why is it that the STMR measurements appear to be different to Blenders? Is it that STMR is slightly vague when it comes to absolute values in terms of dimentions or am I just doing something wrong?"

actually blender native measure is the same as spintires 0.00000 (blender) = 0.00 (ST) and is the one i use once i get the truck in the game

if you want to copy the whole thread go ahead I rather have the people linked to that thread because all comments help allot and the files are good to understand things

Thanks for your replies Forces. I'll just take a little bit off of the radius values to counter the collision cylinders.

Re the blender resource; I'll pop a link to the blender topic in the first post for anyone who is looking on this forum for Blender tips.

I have followed the information in the old thread on the Oovee website but have been unable to get any suspension animation to work in-game. Is the info there still valid for Mudrunner modding?

@JustaFordGuy yes it is even the Dzen ST_DirectX.py exporter (Wich i Still use)

@forces yea that lol that exporter is the greatest thing to happen to blender spintires modding....

Oh Well, I guess I'm doing something else wrong. I tried all of the example files from the thread and I can get them to export into a .x and into the mod editor. I build some .xml files and export it to the game. They show up and work in game but no suspension movement.

Hey Forces, I was able to get that sample Dodge you sent me to kinda work but for some reason the suspension parts hang down below the ground and stick out the side of the body. 😃

last edited by JustaFordGuy

I was watching a few tutorials last night and found this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/BlenderForNoobs

I found a lot of his videos useful to learn how to fix issues and things to avoid when new to modeling in Blender.

@kingpinn stuff like that will be your saving Grace good info on the tube.

@drgonzo1489 Indeed it is, there are so many videos that are done at lightning speed with no hope for us noobs to try and pick up what is going on. 😆 But this guy is quite slow and explains things in a very lamen way which is great!

TBH though, you have been a saving grace yourself withthe Oovee thread, I've learned so much from there. Thanks dude.

last edited by Kingpinn

@kingpinn hey man no problem when I started that thread, I was told you COULDN'T mod spintires with blender. I refused those statements thankfully and ended up with that thread. Wish it could be moved here..... maybe someone could try and transfer that info. I would if I had more time. ☹

@kingpinn check _dzen YouTube a few good tuts on there. Youtube Video

last edited by DrGoNzO1489

@drgonzo1489 said in Blender and STMR:

@kingpinn hey man no problem when I started that thread, I was told you COULDN'T mod spintires with blender. I refused those statements thankfully and ended up with that thread.

You know what, I have 3dsMax and find blender easier to use for some reason. I see a lot of people using Max, but I just get on with the GUI.

"Wish it could be moved here..... maybe someone could try and transfer that info. I would if I had more time. ☹"

I don't mind doing it, I was thinking about this the other day. I thought I could do one of the following:

I just copy and paste each reply seperately into here as a comment
or
do a page at a time into a comment.

These may not be the best ways so I am open to suggestion.

Thanks for the video tip, I'm gonna keep adding links to this thread of any videos I find useful.

last edited by Kingpinn

@kingpinn there's some garbage needs filtered out but I would focus on the important stuff no not every post