Blender and STMR

@drgonzo1489 I'll take a look over the weekend and see what I can muster.

Thanks Kingpinn, That would be helpful for us guys just getting started with Blender and Spintires modding. I have tried to use that old thread and have made a little progress but just can't get it.

If one of you guys, that have Blender for Spintires figured out, could just do a simple step by step, including a sample .blend, .x, and basic .xml files, that would be a huge help.

There are a few for 3DsMax but none for Blender users.

last edited by JustaFordGuy

@justafordguy I'm not sure if someone will to be honest. Its a lot of work and takes a significant amount of time to make step by step type tutorial video. You can kinda piece various videos together, like the ones posted today by DrGoNzO, to get an idea of how to do it. Personally I am in no position to teach anyone right now thats for sure πŸ˜†

I haven't worked on many trucks in blender for this game, mainly just wheels and addons, so I can't really be of help regarding your suspension problem, but I would hazzard a guess that it has something to do with either the class xml not being set up correctly or maybe the suspension doesn't have the correct collision boxes assigned? I may be completely wrong lol, but that is what I would check.

I'm sorry I can't be of any more help.

I mean I could make a tutorial but it is allot of work, I still may do something for you noobs.....πŸ‘ lol jk jk your not noobs. :face_with_stuck-out_tongue_winking_eye:

last edited by DrGoNzO1489

@kingpinn said in Blender and STMR:

either the class xml not being set up correctly or maybe the suspension doesn't have the correct collision boxes assigned?

What?? lol no

@JustaFordGuy

if one of you guys, that have Blender for Spintires figured out, could just do a simple step by step, including a sample .blend, .x, and basic .xml files, that would be a huge help.

sorry man I was going to work you a xml template for mud runner but you pretty much caught me off guard when i sent you those files, I'll put something up this weekend because that Durango.blend I sent you has most of the stuff you should know right from the start
it has
-Ik bones
-Working cdt's animations

@forces said in Blender and STMR:

What?? lol no

πŸ€¦β™‚ haha.. As I said I maybe completely wrong.. I was hoping that someone like yourself would put that right..

@kingpinn i guess the issue might be the exporting of the model as I said it has IK bones so they might be flexing out in random directions

@JustaFordGuy Hey have you rotated your Model -90ΒΊ in the X axis? thats how you should export it
also remember to "apply pose as rest pose" in the armature/PoseMode

if you had pics with it i could helpyou even more

@drgonzo1489 said in Blender and STMR:

I mean I could make a tutorial but it is allot of work, I still may do something for you noobs.....πŸ‘ lol jk jk your not noobs. :face_with_stuck-out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hey Doc, I know it would be a pain to make a step by step, but man would it help. πŸ˜‰

I don't know about the other guys but I know I'm a Noob at this stuff. 😁

@JustaFordGuy

if one of you guys, that have Blender for Spintires figured out, could just do a simple step by step, including a sample .blend, .x, and basic .xml files, that would be a huge help.

sorry man I was going to work you a xml template for mud runner but you pretty much caught me off guard when i sent you those files, I'll put something up this weekend because that Durango.blend I sent you has most of the stuff you should know right from the start
it has
-Ik bones
-Working cdt's animations

Yeah I think the Durango is close. If I could just get the rest of the suspension to render right.

I think if you could check the .blend file and make sure it's ready to export and send me the basic .xml files maybe I could stop bothering you guys so much. 😁

@JustaFordGuy Hey have you rotated your Model -90ΒΊ in the X axis? thats how you should export it
also remember to "apply pose as rest pose" in the armature/PoseMode

if you had pics with it i could helpyou even more

I don't think I rotated it. Which axis should be forward and up? Not sure how to "apply pose as rest pose" but I'll look around and try to find that.

This is what it looks like right now, let me know what pictures would help.

0_1521934005064_durango1.PNG

2_1521928785364_20180324175743_1.jpg 1_1521928785364_20180324175702_1.jpg 0_1521928785363_20180324173824_1.jpg

last edited by JustaFordGuy

After much thinking of what i need to record to make a good mod making guide i started recording and so far i have done
-Setting up blender and loading the plugins
-mesh editing and actual how to make stuff in blender
-tips and trick of the editors
-shaft tutorials
-antenna tutorials

to be done
-XML coding
-IK bones
-Troubleshooting exports errors
-Troubleshooting editor errors
-Editor setting up

Advance stuffs
-Animations
-explanations of how everithing works in the xml
-cdt based suspension
-double or multiple constraint

and extra stuff for those that like to just know how stuff works ill be making quick short videos about anyting i find out or i'm testing

@forces This would be perfect good sir! I'm still getting on with wheels, and addon models, but am now looking to get a truck into the game, so all of what you have mentioned above would be an invaulable source of information.

@justafordguy said in Blender and STMR:

Which axis should be forward and up? Not sure how to "apply pose as rest pose" but I'll look around and try to find that.

Y is up, X is forward and Z side to side in Spintires, in Blender Z is up so you need to make sure you rotate the model by 90 degrees in the X axis to ensure that the model is at the correct position to open in STMR.

When ever you change the scale, location or rotation in Blender, always make sure that you 'CTRL+A' to all 3 before you export.

This video is a bit old, but shows the process:
Youtube Video

Also refer to the video DrGoNzO posted by _dzen about how to export models as well.

So, if I were to use Blender to create mods/models or whatever, do I have to rotate it 90Β° before exporting or create them being rotated 90Β°?

@tattoo do I have to rotate it 90Β° before exporting
yes and you can child your model to a empty ref axis and take rotate it again to make the Z axis up again and apply rotation to the empty ref

youll see what i mean when i finish the first 2 videos about modeling and other stuffs

@kingpinn said in Blender and STMR:

@justafordguy said in Blender and STMR:

Which axis should be forward and up? Not sure how to "apply pose as rest pose" but I'll look around and try to find that.

Y is up, X is forward and Z side to side in Spintires, in Blender Z is up so you need to make sure you rotate the model by 90 degrees in the X axis to ensure that the model is at the correct position to open in STMR.

When ever you change the scale, location or rotation in Blender, always make sure that you 'CTRL+A' to all 3 before you export.

Hey Kingpinn,
I must have rotated before I exported because the truck is facing the right direction in the Spintires editor and the game, I just can't get the suspension to move.

I do CTRL+A for scale, rotation, and location before exporting also.

Thanks,

@forces, So there's nothing in the exporter that says to make Y up?

@tattoo nope, no plugin or settings option
@JustaFordGuy is your armature rest pose right?
go into poseMod and ctrl A apply pose as rest pose every bone (a+ctrl+a+apply pose as rest pose)

did you parented the empty bones (if i dont forgot is R,C,F and FRU,FRD,FLU,FLD,RRU,RRD,RLU,RLD) with ctrl+p parent and keep transformation? this is important because if you dont do it that way it will mess the animation up

@tattoo In the exporter it will ask which axis you want as up, Y or Z in a drop down menu. I find that rotating it and exporting with Z as up, works every time. When ever I try anyother method the truck or whatever always comes out a bit weird.

@kingpinn the plug in is still a beta, this plugin has integrated <PhysicModelMesh=""> coder and materials coder , constraints,motor coder and automatic debuger but they are a bit unstable, so stick to the default settings

okay 1st video will be importing a model from any free model site and troubleshooting them in case of errors or bad importing (only collada files from 3dWarehouse)

2nd video Fixing a Model mesh

3rd video Tips of blender if you want to model instead of importing (my style tips, and other style of modeling tips)