20-55% lower framerate on 13.3 PTS compared to 12.2 Live (FIXED IN 14.0)

Youtube Video

I think 13.0 ran fine, problem appeared in 13.1 or 13.2

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 stock
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Armor OC
16GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL16
Windows 10 64bit
Latest Nvidia Drivers - 465.89

Settings:
SnowRunner Screenshot 2021.04.13 - 23.25.29.98_cr.jpg SnowRunner Screenshot 2021.04.13 - 23.25.15.57_cr.jpg

EDIT: I've upgraded my CPU to Ryzen 5 3600 and ran the comparison again on PTS 13.9. Once again - up to 55% lower framerate can be observed:
Youtube Video

last edited by Amynue

Nothing to add, just wanted to say nice work @Amynue. You're a testing machine 🙂
I vote that Saber should give you a free copy of the next game in the series, whenever that happens.

I have anecdotally noticed this too. Seems to be worse on 13.3 - I didn't notice it on previous builds.

Hmmm... why would this be?

@Amynue Thank you for the provided video!
We are currently investigating this issue.

13.5 still runs awful despite low res textures

No improvement in 13.6

13.7 does not seem to improve much, all densely built areas, large swamp areas, the viewing angle of a specific direction will seriously reduce the number of frames.

From what I read about the 13.x PTS version, it's getting so bad that I hope it never makes it to the release branch. Frame rate issues, no headlights, function menu doesn't close. Geez. Please keep the existing 12.2 and don't touch it.

I think the problem with reproducing framerate issues is that the game doesn't really have a benchmark.
Like, I think I'm seeing it on my system as well, which is quite different, but how do I check if it's real or my imagination?

I'm parked right now at a scene, engine running, and watching my fps fluctuate between 28 and 61 fps (live server).
The PTS version fluctuates less (15-32 when it fluctuates), but unfortunately settles on 18 fps with the same video settings when parked at approximately the same place (different time of day though), and that's concerning.
I run the live game on Ultra pretty much, and needed to dial the PTS down to "high" to get acceptable frame rate (as reported by geforce overlay).

Specs: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz , 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit, nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti (16 GB RAM, 461.92) 4800x900

Im experiencing a strange problem with low FPS but getting lower the more I angle the camera looking down on the truck!? This is the complete opposite of what I would expect, doesn't make sense. Also intermittent freezes for several seconds and stutter. I've been reading that the last win 10 update is affecting rtx 30 series cards so I will roll back the update later and see if this is the problem or the game.
Correction a lot of Nvidia cards.

last edited by A Former User

@bushwacker No fps drop for me in the release version. Saber is experimenting with or breaking something on the PTS.

@Unster I'm having a problem with the live version also. Not as bad as PTS but the video is far from smooth. Funny thing is that all the FPS counters I've used report a solid 60fps but it's not what I'm seeing. If I were to take a guess it's more like 30ish. I went to do the windows 10 update rollback but it's not even been installed yet so it isn't that! I've just uninstalled the game again but this time I've deleted all the folders to do with sr and cleared the registry. Just waiting for the game to DL again.

@bushwacker said in 20-55% lower framerate on 13.3 PTS compared to 12.2 Live (still present in 13.9):

Im experiencing a strange problem with low FPS but getting lower the more I angle the camera looking down on the truck!? This is the complete opposite of what I would expect, doesn't make sense

The game selects which scenery to render based on how much ground you can see. When you angle the camera down, you start seeing more ground behind you and to the side of you, so that's a more complex scene = lower fps.

Also, your truck is very detailed, if you see more of it = more complex scene (but I'm not 100% certain on this).

@mendel
I think @bushwacker has it right there. Scenes with a lot of near-to-distant field of view are usually going to be far more complex than looking straight down at the ground. Yes, the trucks are very detailed, but wouldn't have the performance impact of rendering 1000s of scene objects, trees, grass, etc. at various LOD levels. Plus, it's unlikely that a different angle on the same truck would change much, as the renderer isn't going to cull significantly more of a truck's polygons just by looking at it from the side/rear... it would probably be about the same from any angle - ~50% of polygons will be back-facing, and realtime renderers don't typically occlusion-cull per-polygon that I'm aware of.

@bushwacker said in 20-55% lower framerate on 13.3 PTS compared to 12.2 Live (still present in 13.9):

Funny thing is that all the FPS counters I've used report a solid 60fps but it's not what I'm seeing. If I were to take a guess it's more like 30ish.

This might be a fullscreen/borderless thing. With my G-Sync screen, if it's in true fullscreen mode, my screen will show the current framerate, but if it drops into borderless (as it often does when alt-tabbing, or just if I look at it funny), it'll just report the default refresh rate of the monitor instead.

I've upgraded my CPU to Ryzen 5 3600 and ran the comparison again on PTS 13.9. Once again - up to 55% lower framerate can be observed:
Youtube Video