Subtle change to skill cost that made a huge change in the game

In 2nd edition you added up SPP to figure out cost to team rating. It was a hassle to track for sure but a player got his last skill at 176 SPP which would be 350k to the team rating. As that star player got more SPP they continued to add to the team rating (which I had some issue with but from a roleplay stance it makes sense.). In the current system your last skill costs you a total of 120k onto your team rating. The general argument is that it is the same for all the teams so it is fair. I dont think that is true and here is why.

when the game came out it was about filling out your roster where now most teams only carry a player or two on their bench. Who does this help? the high armor teams for sure. Who does it hurt? Goblins and halfings for sure but in truth I dont care about them much. I think the biggest loser in this scenario is the humans. With the old system and a full roster the human team had the advantage of flexibility of roster. I had four catchers, only one would play on D vs strong teams. I had two catchers who were on the field against passing teams. On offense I used all 4 catchers sometimes and other times I would use one based on match up. realistically the human team cannot afford to have a full roster because each extra player they have is 2-4 skills for the other team to be balanced.

I understand the mini max logic behind keeping the small roster but what NFL team goes into a game 5 players short just cuz? From a sport sense it makes zero sense and I think it is far from what was intended when the game was created.

I dont want to go back to tracking SPP, but I think some kind of scaling cost of skills would help balance out this issue and really help and promote teams to have a full roster instead of the mini max strat or atleast I have an option because right now there is ZERO reason to have a full roster with most teams

BB2 Champion Ladder Admin Team

There's a name from the past.

As to the topic, the PC game is based on LRB6 and LRB6 is not LRB4. BB2016 is run by GW and uses the same method. You're asking the wrong people for a change: try GW. JT-Y on the TalkFantasyFootball forums would be my first port of call as he's now on the design team.

last edited by dode74

@cbbakke said in Subtle change to skill cost that made a huge change in the game:

I dont want to go back to tracking SPP, but I think some kind of scaling cost of skills would help balance out this issue and really help and promote teams to have a full roster instead of the mini max strat or atleast I have an option because right now there is ZERO reason to have a full roster with most teams

Why do you think it would be good to go over the skill-cost if you want to promote more players/team? Why don't you just go straight forward to the issue and ask for some kind of system, which gives a cost reduction for teams with more than 11 players?

last edited by Arne

I've come to the conclusion over the years that there should be a "skills tax" on players with multiple skills (as an example, an additional 10k or 20k on a players 3rd and 6th skill) to make min/maxing less attractive.
And that was a conclusion I came to just from TT play.

I think the overall player cost is pretty balanced and I think the change in skill cost created unintended problems so it seems easier to fix that then mess with other aspects of the game that could just create more issues

The main problem with the old system actually had nothing to do with stacking skills... it was stats.

Clearly a +agi is worth more than most skills. +str is better than almost any skill (on most players). doubles rolls are better than no doubles. The old system didn't reflect this... a team with lucky early rolls with 2 +str players, for example, would stomp through teams of equal tv under the old system. Some would argue that +str was overcosted in the change, but clearly it was worth more than a skill.

Playing with a bench is just part of the game... one of those decisions a player needs to make. I'm not entirely sure why you think the old system encouraged more benched players... seems that is an entirely different thing from the spp->tv system

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.