Spintires: MudRunner - April Community Update

Dear whoever had the brilliant mind to make mudrunner,
Thank you so much for making this game. 32 y.o. and all my life I wanted a off-road game with accutual mud. Was tired of seeing a little cloud of dust with my car magically getting dirty. Excellent work people.
With that being said something I would like to see in the future is events that revolve around mud. Tractor pulls, mud bogging, hydroplaning race's, stuff like that. If not it's all good, the game is like crack anyways.
Thank you again and can't wait to see what's in store for us.

Community Manager

@dreadwordthe1st Thank you very much for this nice feedback, we really appreciate it 🙂

Yes i completely agree. Im very excited on what the usa dlc will have. I just want to say, i love the devs for this game. Its AWESOME that they dont make a crap game that if you want more trucks or maps you gotta pay for it. Really happy with that

@jayson said in Spintires: MudRunner - April Community Update:

Yes i completely agree. Im very excited on what the usa dlc will have. I just want to say, i love the devs for this game. Its AWESOME that they dont make a crap game that if you want more trucks or maps you gotta pay for it. Really happy with that

Will be Mudrunner USA a free DLC? Not a complete new Game?

Community Moderator - Spintires

@Alpscruiser
Last time I've heard about this from staff it was something like "it is not decided yet, but free DLC is unlikely in this case because of pretty meaty content"
Not sure if that was said in here or Discord (can't find to quote).
My personal bet is on paid DLC for current game.

Let's see how many people who have been screaming for US vehicles will be willing to put their money in their pockets for it.

I have no problem at all paying for additional content, especially as I assume a fair bit will go towards paying for the licensing cost, assuming it's of a quality to warrant the cost and gives me extra gameplay.

Still, new vehicles are less important to me than bugfixes and new maps. These are the things that either stop me from enjoying the game now or reduce the overall 'playable' lifespan of the game.

Double the number of maps and you have a game that everyone will be playing for a few more months to come. Bring us a healthy sized map pack guys!

Community Manager

@alpscruiser We haven't announced how we plan to release MudRunner USA at this point, but when we announce it in full, we'll likely announce at least how we plan to deliver it.

@zoglet said in Spintires: MudRunner - April Community Update:

Let's see how many people who have been screaming for US vehicles will be willing to put their money in their pockets for it.

...assuming it's of a quality to warrant the cost and gives me extra gameplay.

Still, new vehicles are less important to me than bugfixes and new maps. These are the things that either stop me from enjoying the game now or reduce the overall 'playable' lifespan of the game.

Double the number of maps and you have a game that everyone will be playing for a few more months to come. Bring us a healthy sized map pack guys!

It's all about the VALUE. As a gamer with a "career" spanning decades, it's really disappointing to see how the industry has moved away from the idea that a game should be complete and working at launch, while devs/publishers continue to release broken and incomplete games ("we'll fix it later" is only viable if you do actually fix stuff!) because they're more concerned about monetizing the IP to the maximum extent possible.

So they keep their plans under wraps to get that hype train rolling as fast and heavy as they can, and treat the whole situation like a carrot-on-a-stick for us gamers. If, for the sake of this argument, we all found out today that MR-USA will consist of 2 mediocre maps and 3 useless vehicles and was gonna cost half again as much as the "full" game did, that hype train would get violently derailed pretty quickly, as I for one would be furious about being expected to pay for such a sad half-@ssed offering.

Conversely, if the USA launch consisted of 3-4 NEW maps using new assets specific to the region, new gameplay elements besides dragging wood through the dirt, a handful of quality licensed North American trucks, and numerous bugfixes and stability fixes (64-bit Mudrunner on PC is becoming a pipedream), and the basic features already promised long ago like working mirrors, and all for $5-$10 (Or better yet FREE since some of us are still a little butthurt about being misled into buying a rehashed Spintires to begin with) then THAT might be a hype train I could get on board...

This game has the POTENTIAL for greatness, please don't let corporate (or personal) greed ruin that potential. Treat your audience like the game's life depends on them BECAUSE IT DOES. We enjoy this game and would like to see it flourish for a long time to come, but if you burn us you're burning yourselves and your own future with it.

@mexican_420 like you, I have a gaming career spanning decades. I was typing assembly code into zx spectrums out of magazines for a whole day to watch some crap blob bounce across a screen and get off on it. Maybe that's why I can still appreciate what we get for free.

I've also read many of your posts and can appreciate and respect that you know what you're talking about and have a totally valid subjective opinion for your own reasons. Totally. Although I only discovered MudRunner in January, I can also understand why fans coming from the 'spintyres' days may feel let down by the progress that they have seen, but by all accounts, my understanding is that there were significant growing pains with changes in label/production team etc and in some ways we are lucky that the game is still here at all.

In the end, it's all about value as you say. I recall being 15-25 not having money but wanting to play every game as it was released. I get some people don't have much budget but sorry, stuff costs money and you can't have everything without paying for it. Some people bitch about paying 7 bucks a month for spotify but pay that for a starbucks or a mcdonalds without blinking. Some people spend thousands on a PC but bitch about paying 50 bucks on a game. You spend a thousand bucks on a new mobile but cry at 20 bucks a month for your mobile contract. We all have to balance budgets. But please. Don't anyone tell me you didn't get your money's worth out of MudRunner. If you really believe that you haven't figured out how to play. Don't get me wrong mexican, I know you aren't one of these.

Point I'm making is yes, I totally agree that it is worrying to see the way the gaming industry is going, with Freemium bullsht and games being nothing but a portal to buy more content. Preview version, Ultimate edition, Platinum edition, Season Pass and all that. I hate it and it's what will push me away from gaming in the end.

Saying that. I don't think MudRunner fits this category. I bought a game that was complete in its own right and gave me many weeks, arguably months of enjoyment. For the price of a meal in a restaurant of a quarter of a good night out. Since then I have been given free content. Not as often as I would have liked but hey, I complete maps faster than they take to create. Yes there are some really annoying bugs but let's not forget, they aren't a massive team and they do need to find ways to monetise to survive. Today's Nintendo Switch release is tomorrow's bugfix and free DLC. You can't blame them for choosing a deployment plan that potentially brings in most money for least effort. Those of us who have been around long enough also know these guys aren't doing this for the quick bucks but as much for the love of it.Otherwise they'd be maing yet another bullshit card trading or facebook pay-to-win game. You don't release a dirty russian truck simulator because you're after the fast buck XD

If someone wants to work even longer towards adding more enjoyment and extending the game, why shouldn't I be expected to pay? How many of us would keep going to work if we were told "Actually I kinda expected to get more out of you this year, so I want you do work the next couple of months without wages".

Summary, you aren't wrong on some of your points but in my life I've paid a lot lot more for a lot lot less and if a non-hollywood sized development team bring me a game I really enjoy playing and I want to see them around for a while to come, I don't think it's that unreasonable to support them along the way by paying a few bucks for the added value I receive.

last edited by zoglet

@zoglet
Agreed. I will make no bones about admitting that I am very much satisfied with the hours of enjoyment I've gotten (as well as the immeasurable knowledge and friendships byproxy) from this game for the relatively small sum I paid. 🙂

@mexican_420 @zoglet Both of you have valid points.
I to have had fair amount of hours in Spintires and Mudrunner and for the most part enjoyed it.
But that doesn't change the fact that both games were released, at full price, as "halfdone" and full of bugs. (Mudrunner was released with the same bugs as ST, and even after the Update it inherited the same bug(s) ST had after Updates. (Mainly the no truck selection on "manually installed" maps))

I dont mind that the usa DLC will be payware. (It is expected with the licensing and stuff.) As long as everything in it and the patch for it is 100% Voluntary to download and install. And it want contain anything you will need for the main game at a later date.

As The Valley is NOT available in the Asian store, will The Ridge be available in Playstation Store Asia??

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.