Some ideas for team setup phases ..

The more I play, the more I find myself bored with the setup phase of my opponent.

You stare and stare, waiting for something to happen, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't and can take up to 3 minutes (or whatever the turn time of the competition is) which can be quite long.

Thus, it would be nice if the game would entertain you during these times on the one hand or reward you for spending less time on that somehow. (Searching for entertainment elsewhere unless not on the computer is detrimental as you never know when the opponent's setup phase will be over)

Inspired by real-life stadium events, two things come to mind. Advertisements and Highlight-reels or a combination of the two.

I could imagine one or two variations of advertisements for the different sponsors to be played for you during the opponents setup phase. Depending on the number of fans present, this could even have a financial benefit to the player watching the commercial (i.e. the more fans present, the more see the advertisement, the more additional money the team not setting up could make at the end) or some money could be deducted from the end-result for excessively long setups (though that wouldn't be as logical).

Another idea would be to just play the highlights of the previous drive(s) (partly in slow motion and closeups without all the dice-rolling, of course). That wouldn't be as repetitive as the advertisements (unless ads could be added by mods), but still less boring than watching your opponent shuffle some players around.

Of course, for all the hardcore gamers which like to stare and plan, these things should be completely optional.

A dropdown of the opponent's roster might also be useful.

@dode74 said in Some ideas for team setup phases ..:

A dropdown of the opponent's roster might also be useful.

I agree, though that should be available at any point in the game, both for your opponent's as well as your own team.

They could simply reuse the inducement menu with a few options turned off.

Old topic, however.

During set-up a summary of your opponent's Win/loss ratio, recent form, team preference, [recent] concedes/disconnects, number of times played today, average turn time etc would be useful/interesting. Hard to implement though, I'm sure.

Even the stats from the opponent's last game would suffice.

last edited by Kylo Renfield

One very very easy improvement for this would be to cap the setup at 2mins regardless of the normal turn time limit.

It would speed the game up, and it is very frustrating to watch your opponent make multiple minute adjustments to formation, spending the full time allotted over nothing.

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.