Why the Dice roll tracker is a failure

I really hate when you get diced. We all do. It happens, its part of the game but we still hate it.

But what I hate worse is that Cyanide claims to have set up an in game system so you can see how bad the dice really were, and what was just perception. The problem is, not only does it have a major failing, it has a choice that is downright deceptive. The worst possible dice actually come across as average. And so it is extremely annoying, especially since the fix would have been ridiculously easy to program.

First, this is not about consecutive bad rolls, though that is a factor raw numbers don't show either. 1 6 1 6 1 6 1 6 is a much better roll pattern then 1 1 6 6 1 1 6 6... Skull pow followed by skull pow is way better than double skulls followed by double pows (two good blocks, as opposed to 1 good block with a reroll burned. But data can't really account for that, so we'll leave it.

What IS a failure, is including armor and injury rolls in the d6's. If, for example, I try to make a 3+ dodge with my human catcher, and roll 2, reroll for 1, then roll an armor roll of 6:3, and injury of 5+4, the it looks like i got average dice... 1 of each number. Except anyone can plainly see that was about as bad as the dice could have been (well could have been an injury, but thats the worst they could have been with 1 of each die). The more armor and injury roll failures you get, the BETTER your dice look. How ridiculous of a programming decision is that? Why the hell would you create a dice roll tracker so players can view their luck, then mix in the rolls where high numbers are bad with the ones where they are good? Unless the intent was to hide something, or there was just little brainwork going on at all? I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and call them stupid instead of intentionally deceiving, but come on.

The solution would have been simple, and was handled fine in BB1's popular mods that did the same thing. Simply make 2d6 rolls show up on a different list then 1d6 rolls.

Literally you could go through a game, rolling 1 on everything move, and 6's on all armor injury and casualty rolls, and it would appear to the tracker like you had amazing luck... 5 6's for every 1... so average number of 1's, but amazing number of 6's. when in reality, your entire team is now dead.

Fix it cyanide, give us a tracker that is worth something, not this idiotic mess.

I always thought the distribution of rolls was just there to show the distribution of rolls i.e. That of all the dice rolled you can see that it fits a standard distribution. To see if you've been diced you've got the individual success rates of actions so low percentage of dodges succeeded armour broken is high

Why do you even care? Once it is done it is done.

You can analyse the game replay to see if you could have played any better. But the will of Nuffle is the will of Nuffle.

There is also http://onesandskulls.com/

@koadah said in Why the Dice roll tracker is a failure:

Why do you even care? Once it is done it is done.

There is also http://onesandskulls.com/

I care because I am a stats geek. I love to be able to break down just how good or bad my luck was. If I won despite bad luck, it's fun to know. If I had average luck that felt bad, it helps to see good stats. If I lose with good luck, I want to analyze that opponent and find out what they were doing right. There is a lot to be said for the improvement of long term play by analyzing quality stats.

I'll check out oneandskulls.com, that might be exactly what I am looking for stats wise. But it is still very annoying they didn't bother with one simple decision that could have made everything easy and simple.

last edited by Gatorlover

@gatorlover said in Why the Dice roll tracker is a failure:

First, this is not about consecutive bad rolls, though that is a factor raw numbers don't show either. 1 6 1 6 1 6 1 6 is a much better roll pattern then 1 1 6 6 1 1 6 6... Skull pow followed by skull pow is way better than double skulls followed by double pows (two good blocks, as opposed to 1 good block with a reroll burned. But data can't really account for that, so we'll leave it.

Ah yes, the magic "I can see it but mathematics and statistics cannot" argument. We see that a lot from people whose excuses don't match the numbers.

@gatorlover said in Why the Dice roll tracker is a failure:

I care because I am a stats geek.

No, you're a persistent liar and failed agitator. Not all of us have forgotten you were banned under multiple names, each time coming back and trying (badly) to pretend to be someone different. The problem is you're not very good at starting trouble for Focus/Cyanide.. you mostly just convince people you're not particularly bright.

@voodoomike oh look voodoo the hackmaster is back to pick another fight. yawn

The Dice Rolls page in the Match Report section on goblinSpy shows the overall d6 rolls without the armour/injury mixed in.

Mixing the dice rolls for the armour/injury rolls which are rolled against a player with their own successes in the game dice-stats was a bad idea.

last edited by ugh

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.