Heads up about Google Chrome and it's new Software Reporting Tool

Recently, I read an article about Google Chrome and it's new Software Reporting Tool. It's kinda like an anti-virus program that searches your computer looking for hacks, will call them. but there's a twist. It takes the information it finds and reports it back to google. This does not sit right with me as no one should have this access to anyone's computer, EVER, especially when most don't even know about it.

Here's a link that explains how to disable it;
https://windowsreport.com/turn-off-chrome-software-reporter/

You can disable it, supposedly, but it keeps coming back so you have to monitor the folders. It keeps re-downloading into this folder;
C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\SwReporter

And it put the info it finds into this folder;
C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Google\Software Reporter Tool

I use a firewall, ZoneAlarm, so I keep it disabled. If you don't use a firewall you'd probably need to watch the program folder and keep it deleted.

Normally I wouldn't talk about this here but this is clearly a violation of our rights and needs to be known to everyone because this stuff is going behind our backs.

Yeah, you can change the system permissions on the "tool" itself, but every time Chrome updates itself, it will just re-download another instance of the reporting tool...
WTF Google... Stay the fck out of my sht unless I say otherwise... 😠

Seems a little Off-Topic for the modding section of the forum. Good info though. I don't use chrome on my PC. But I do use it on my phone.

@mudhappy will agree this is more Off Topic than Modding.

back to point though. i never had any troubles myself with google updates. now when windows updates then i have a problem, as in resetting my desktop icons, my mouse settings and couple other little things not worth mentioning really. biggest one that bugs me though is the mouse settings reverting back to default.

@mudhappy, You're right and I didn't think about that. Maybe a mod can move it. Sorry guys, I didn't think about that. My bad.

@tattoo this is the most active section of the forums if you wouldn't have posted it here most of us would have never seen it...So don't apologize. thanks.

I think that an exception can be made on this one.... this is the only part of the forum where it will be seen, when you say it in the off-topic area it would be seen by something like 20 people and here you can hit way more views.

time to move to firefox i guess lol, google seems to like to know what we do or see on our pc's, this isn't the first time they try to do it and sure won't be the last

@forces said in Heads up about Google Chrome and it's new Software Reporting Tool:

time to move to firefox i guess lol, google seems to like to know what we do or see on our pc's, this isn't the first time they try to do it and sure won't be the last

My thoughts Exactly.

I was using Firefox for a while because Chrome is such a memory hog and now I know why. But I don't really like Firefox and only went back to Chrome because of the hangouts and video sharing which was difficult in Firefox.

So I went back to chrome for a bit until I tried Comodo Dragon. It's a rip of Chrome without all the BS. The only problem with it is that it's slower then Chrome and has problems with some pages. The other day it updated and now it keeps blanking out when a .gif or some kind of video is on the page. I reinstalled flash and thought that was the problem but it still does it so I dunno.

For Chrome, I did what it said in the link I posted by opening the .exe in notepad and deleting everything and it seems to be working until it updates again.

This is surely screwed up for Google to do this as it's none of their business what we do on our PC's. They are part of the cabal that wants to rule us all so I feel this is just the beginning. So I had to warn ya'll.

Please pass this info on EVERYWHERE!!!