Storm Bolter and the MK. II are really bad compared to everything else?

Bolters work best supporting the heavy guns for the long range snipping shots and softening up long range targets before the AC, Flamer, Redemption etc...can get to them effectively ... also in close quarters empty a clip into a stealers face will hold them back then you can finish them with melee.....and just hope there is someone else near to cover you while you re-load 🙂
So i see them as a 'support' weapon however saying that we've had some cracking 'bolter' only games on No Mercy
.... all in all Mk1 and MkII bolters are my favorite all purpose weapon

I must be in the minority, I love both the stormbolters.

But then mine are fully kitted out so that makes a big difference.

I like the stormbolter more than the MK II but thats me.

My stormbolter is nearly a sniper. Great for turret removal, psyker kills, and sniping far off rocket launching irritants. Up close, I use it mainly to trip up a xenos jump/attack so I can introduce them to my powerfist mid leap.

MkII I treat more like a SMG and its kitted out for damage not accuracy since its accuracy isn't as good as the regular stormbolters'.

@hillslam What perks are you using for the regular storm bolter? You and another user mentioned using the storm bolted in combination with melee. Perhaps, if one gets good at interrupting with storm bolter and finishing with melee, this weapon might work really well?

I'll post up my perks n mods when I get off work. May try to post up a demo video too

@hillslam Sounds great! I’m relatively new to the game and I’m already sick of the flamethrower and other OP (compared to the bolsters) weapons. I really want to make the bolters work.

Bolter perks for me are the infa red type optics to see stealers in the scope and +damage barrels with a larger ammo clip and reliability
my favourite classes are Apo, Tactical and Librarian
With Apo and Tactical i have the MkI and MkII perforation enhancement which i think is +20% and tactical gets a faster melee speed as well
on Librarian i have gone with +30% resilience perk for now....
The armour boosts on these three are for extra ranged damage but i am playing around with ether +melee or +armour but for now the extra damage seems to work best

Bolters are tough when solo at No Mercy, well to be honest at my skill level nigh on impossible but i love a challenge but if i drop down to Lion (hard level) they work perfectly for me...just the right amount of challenge vs reward
Personally i do not like either plasma cannon and hell fire and flamer tend to block line of sight which is frustrating but bolters as support for Assault or a Heavy with an AC or Vengence provides a top team or a full squad with bolters only.... that for me is Space Hulk right there...

@tmpwhore said in Storm Bolter and the MK. II are really bad compared to everything else?:

In the closed beta we used to do NO Mercy all bolter runs and yes it was hard as hell but it's doable with them all modded out. The bolters are more of a support type weapon to take out the sniping hybrids or far away turrets and the like. For example if you get the tactical perk "strategist" which gives you armour piercing AND 30% faster powerfist punches, it's almost OP. Even if you don't kill them with the bolter you just punch them out. Or what I like to do if I'm mixing it up with multiple nids close up is punch, fire a burst to disrupt the nids attack then punch again to take them out. It's crazy, I can take on like 5 nids myself and barely have them get a shot in because I'm using the bolter to disrupt their attack or finish them off.

The bolters are really used for precise bolter fire on high value targets like psykers, heavy stubbers, snipers, etc. Or to soften up a bunch of long range enemies. It's not really meant to mow down enemies that's where the heavy's come in. The other weapons like the spear of caliban and redemption, etc. are more point defense weapons where they can put out alot of fire and damage quickly but are not suitable for sustained fire. It's really how you use the weapon will determine it's effectiveness.

I agree!

Tactical with Strategist is my "Go To" on Tac Terminator. It is so much fun mixing up ranged and melee.
Try to Headshot and them use ur Powerfist to Purge them! Well if u think u go all out Squad with only Bolters on No Mercy u gotta have Balls, but like TMP said, it is manageable but frackin Hard. You better have some Inner Circle Dark Angels with you when u do this ^^

@roibr said in Storm Bolter and the MK. II are really bad compared to everything else?:

Try to Headshot and them use ur Powerfist to Purge them!

Another Storm Bolter fan here, and I have to say, this is a similar strategy I adopt with the Librarian (bolter/sword). It works like a charm. Run, gun, and melee when they get close. You've also go the first 2 skills to keep them at bay, and implosion if everything gets too much.

It's working super well for me but I'm looking for feedback from fellow Librarians who might be running with the Bolter on higher difficulties, and what perks they recommend. I'm using the Battle Psyker perk for now but interested if anyone uses the 10AP perk or does everyone run Resilience?

I think a bolter / melee combo is absolutely viable from what I've experienced and I personally prefer the original bolter for its accuracy.