Traction could be more realistic

It's fairly good, don't get me wrong, but having watched some real off-roading videos I feel in this game the tires break traction a bit too easily, especially on semi-dry dirt and pavement, and when they do break traction (start spinning) they have a bit too much traction, especially in mud. That is, the static friction is too low and dynamic friction too high. Any chance this could be tweaked for even more realism?

Yea. One thing that bothers me is the diff lock. In hardcore, you damage the truck if you drive on hard surface with diff locked. Fair enough ! I get that ! However, disengage it and in most cases you get one or two wheels spinning like crazy. So what is it? Is the surface grippy enough that it can damage the diff lock? Or is it slipery enough that wheels can spin?...

Plus, you can barely climb a normal slope on concrete/asphalt with a loaded truck, if you don't have 4wd and diff lock engaged... Wheels spin like crazy...

last edited by minikeum

Yeah good point. The diff lock is unrealistically limited by speed in hardcore mode. It should apply only on paved roads and maybe dry dirt. Soggy slippery ground and mud wouldn't damage a locked differential.

Regarding the original issue, I'd like to see the game tweaked so that the player needs to feather the gas pedal to avoid slipping and get better traction, at least when a steering wheel is being used (for keyboard players that could be undesirable). Currently there is essentially no punishment except for higher fuel consumption for having the pedal to the floor all the time.

last edited by Unster

Actually, I have found that feathering the throttle DOES work, at least on XBOX One. I can back off and instead of all wheels churning away, they dig in and the truck gains a bit of speed as it gets traction.

I know, it does to some extent. But what I said earlier holds true. The game doesn't really punish you for going full throttle in most cases. The dynamic / slipping friction is a bit too high, and at the same time the tires break traction too easily.

last edited by Unster

Last night I replayed the bog map and now that I'm more experienced I have to agree that feathering the throttle really helped with getting through some of the swampy areas where previously I had to use the winch. So I think the traction is mostly OK. What still bugs me though is that on pavement and without 4wd and diff lock on, it's actually hard to take off without any wheel spin. You have to go real easy on the gas pedal. Seems unrealistic. So I'd still say the static friction could be increased and dynamic friction decreased somewhat (to balance it and to make feathering the throttle even more important).

@joridiculous
Not exactly anything. It's still possible as it should be to get stuck even though the wheels are barely spinning.

they need to do somthing with the 2wd trucks or tractor, even with weight on them they get stuck as soon as they hit the mud,

i been around tractors ever since i was little, and if they got a little weight and good driver they can go just about anywhere,

on here they get stopped by a little puddle.

I don't mean to be contrary for any purpose other than to defend my best buddy tractor friend; that thing does not get stuck, but the front wheels have a bunch of trouble with rocks and logs. Either back up and drive the front wheels around the visible obstacle, or just wiggle the steering back and forth to get the front wheels to "swim" around it if you can't see it. Wiggling also get through deep mud when the front tires stall. Also key: don't spin the tires. Back off the throttle until the wheels barely turn, hold it there and wiggle the steering if needed.

Again, i don't want to start something, but the tractor doesn't hold you back, it makes you learn if you haven't already picked up these techiques.

@joridiculous
Come on now, that's uncalled for. I think the tractor is fairly realistic. It does not get stuck by a little puddle or mud. It will get stuck when the little front wheels hit an obstacle. Like I said before, I think the traction could use some tweaking, but I don't think it's too far off from real life.

@joridiculous I think we should take a vote whether you should be kicked off these forums. Every time you post, you bsh the developers, never say thank you for the free content, and seem to just post your problems with the game.

There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with traction in the game. Go play MX vs ATV if you just want to have an easy time offroading. This game is a SIMULATOR, it is not meant to be easy. There are players like me, that can manage to cross deluge with a b-130 with difficulty, but get it done. the game is designed so you constantly have to change throttle to get through mud, rocks, trees, etc.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, THE GAME WAS $20 AND SO FAR EVERY EXTRA CONTENT HAS BEEN FREE!!!!!!!!! Stop complaining and actually put in some work, I know youre one of those players that just leaves it in automatic and gets mad when the truck gets stuck, well, you need to practice more. I have done amazing things with the c-256 10 wheeler 2wd truck, just need to use your imagination. This is a sandbox game, meaning there are no rules when driving around. just because the devs made maps with roads/ trails on it doesnt mean you HAVE TO follow them. 90% of the time I am making my own trails.

For the record, the little b6a tractor is BAD ASS! Ive pulled loaded trucks with it up muddy hills in the ridge, just gotta know how much throttle to apply. Its hard, but not that hard

@1967deuce

havent pulled a loaded truck up a hill, but i have towed a loaded truck out of fuel down a muddy trail

i love the b-130 and the tractor.

@1967deuce said in Traction could be more realistic:

There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with traction in the game. Go play MX vs ATV if you just want to have an easy time offroading. This game is a SIMULATOR, it is not meant to be easy..... etc. etc.

The entire post is sage advice IMHO! Well said that man.

Can we please make this post from 67deuce a sticky so that it can be seen by all as an intro to what Spintires MR is, Please! 👏 👏 🕶

@difflock66 you have my consent to make that a sticky 🕶 🕶

I don't know if the last 2 comments were directed at me, but I never complained that the traction was too difficult in this game. I was just pointing out how it could be made even more realistic (not easier).