Suggestion for immersion and "fixes"

Suggestion for immersion and "fixes"
I have played 170 hours original and ~70 hours current enhanced edition and giving couple of "easy" suggestions for fixes from developer-side, to make game feel more autenthic.

1. in random missions, hide map (aka add "fog of war"). Only show areas you have been.

2. hide enemy spawn point locations from map!!!!!

3. remove enemy movement blips from radar unless you have designed auspex device installed on, for example, powerfist mode spot. With one party member having it, others could see enemy movement aswell (device and it's function is from space hulk w40k book "Death of Integrity")

4. make maps randomly go dark. I mean, kill the ♥♥♥♥ing lights. What kind of space hulk has all lights/candles burning? Make corridors DARK. Only light coming from terminator suits, and gun fire. Makes game feel more distressing and epic, and firefights in narrow corridors look damn awesome when suit lights and gun muzzle fire revealing the approaching hordes.

5. disappointed with the amount of genestealers attacking. 80% cases they some in group of 5-10 and one-by-one. From all games i have played (within 170+70 hours), can count the situations where i thought "ok there are quite many of them coming" with my one hand's fingers.

6. There is NOTHING tactical going on, unless you choose it yourself. I always ask people who join my games (No Mercy + FF) that we move in formation (2 front- apo mid- flamer rear) BUT THAT IS ALL ABOUT IT. There are no classes "needed" for certain tasks. For example:

-there would be elements that trigger bigger waves: gunshots, blowing up doors, general running/stomping around. At certain levels it would trigger "roosts" to vomit massive waves of genestealers against terminators.
-one class (preferably Tactical since Chaplain made it useless otherwise, and we dont have techmarines..) to deal with the doors:having plasmatorch (slow but silent) and chainfist (fast but noisy) to open doors. Torch to weld open door shut. Current door mechanism is way. too. simplified.

1. Audio. The thing that makes game feel alive and suck you in the game (in addition from graphical side). Atm game sounds as dead as necrons though. Game lacks:

-Terminator vox-to-vox chatter. i dont mean extremely limited voice commands you can give by pressing space. There are no chatter from singleplayer, that i miss dearly. In singleplayer they aknowledge enemies and give warnings. In multiplayer, terminators just walk around in silence. Even Eternal Crusade has better in-game voice commands /replies!

-automatic terminator voice lines when using skills, when weapon is jammed, when reloading weapon. I have stated this many times in my suggestion threads, will continue even now. How hard is to add couple of voice lines for each class for skills? "Blessed is my wargear!" when weapon is jammed, others know this guy cant shoot now so can come cover? Chaplain shouting Litanies of Hate, everyone know they can enter melee brawl without having consequences? And so on. ADD MORE VOICE LINES FOR MULTIPLAYER!

-stormbolter is a "meh". It is boring. It sounds boring. It should be "The Weapon" for spacemarines. It should sound like Serious Business Going On. But no. Generic ra-tat-tat I can hear from any game.

Made a small comparison how different bolter COULD sound like:

YouTube™ Video: Space Hulk: Deathwing ED /Storm bolter mk2 sounds
Views: 6
just comparison how the Stormbolter Mk2 would sound like if not hearing current game's generic rat-tat-tat.

1. Skills.

-Massive fix to Chaplain is needed. Auras need to be 50% damage recution and reflection,rather than 100%. Audio for skills is NEEDED. I would personally remove mass resurrection and get something else, a shout to increase squad's damage for 10s?

-Librarian needs more psyker skills to choose from. For example from Codex (http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Librarian)

Force Dome - Summoning up a shimmering field of force, the Librarian fashions a shell around himself and nearby allies. The shell is a sphere extending up to the radius around, above, and below the Librarian and protecting him and any within it. This shell provides protection against all kinds of ranged attacks or hazardous environmental effects, even trapping air and water within it. However, it will not stop melee attacks or creatures (friend or foe) that may pass through it without restriction. (replaces tactical's force field)

The Gaze of Infinity - Rending the veil between worlds, the Librarian creates a rift through which he and his allies might pass. The size of the rift depends on the power used to create it. The rift will remain open for a short amount of time or until the Librarian himself passes through it, at which time it will instantly close. (for example making a shortcut in map)

Vortex (add into multiplayer!)

Veil of Time - The psyker projects his will beyond the regular passage of time, taking in the strands of fate before returning to the present to sway the tide of battle by helping his fellows know what is to befall them before it happens. (a globe where enemies slow down?)

Psychic Fortress - Drawing on boundless reserves of inner strength, the psyker shields his mind -- and those of his brethren -- from the threat of sorcerous assault. All psychic attacks made to alter their states of mind or perceptions become far more difficult. (WE NEED PROTECTION FROM ONESHOTTING PSYKERS!)

I love the game, I really do. I'm passionate W40k fan. But this (and other W40k games) have so much lost potential!

seems video link did not transfer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgigon_0pBI
(comparison for custom bolter sound vs the current one)

also would add two things:

1. possibility to edit char look/weapon mods in game lobby (edit perks and so on)

2. as certain weapons are lore-wise prone to jamming, I would personally "nef" the weapon mode part for certain weapons. For example

"the Assault Cannon is a fearsome weapon when used at the close range role from which it was intended to be fired. The weapon is prone to overheating and jams due to its high rate of fire"

Assault cannon / plasmacannon without a risk to jam is unheard of in Space Hulk games!

I would change the "reliability" mode part to have 60-70% chance not to jam, instead of 100% for plasmacannons and assault cannons.

@voldo I reckon ur right, that getting rid of ‘Call to Arms’ skill for Chaplain
and having a group power perk like in the film Predator when they’re all firing together and ‘we hit nothing!?!’ kind of fun is the way to go tho might be OP.

SH Deathwing tries to be ‘realistic’ in its setting, but I would have guessed (I’m not too knowledgeable bout Lore) that bringing people back from the dead is unrealistic for a Loyalist Chaplain in WH40k... Tactical is calling in a fresh troop which is believable and immersive.
This would instantly make tactical desirable again.

Also, ‘Reinforcement’ could be like ‘Call to Arms’ which would make Tactical powerful and a worthy trooper and call it ‘Reinforcements’ 🤣

last edited by Kommodore77

@voldo I thot ‘Reliability’ was 100% but it’s seems not if you view the stat bar it’s not fully maxed for 100%. Their description is misleading. Ps. Maybe I’m wrong, I don’t have every single customisable to know for sure.

last edited by Kommodore77

Very intersting suggestions/observations. Can't say I really disagree with any of it.

make maps randomly go dark. I mean, kill the ♥♥♥♥ing lights. What kind of space hulk has all lights/candles burning? Make corridors DARK. Only light coming from terminator suits, and gun fire. Makes game feel more distressing and epic, and firefights in narrow corridors look damn awesome when suit lights and gun muzzle fire revealing the approaching hordes.

That one gunsight that allows you to see in low light would finally be useful.

@dartht15 I reckon the whole weapon sight modes are out of place as it’s the T’s helmet and built in optical unit/displays that do all the enhancing to vision, the scope only ever adds a targeter or weapon attribute to the visual processing in the helmet. If anything the 1st lot of base attachments should enhance the vision either ADS or not. Only the zoom function could be a weapon addition and it’s sketchy when talking tactical dreadnought armour as I mentioned before. Understandable if wearing standard power armour (Mk dependant) as there is a big capability difference in more than just armour protection.

@steakboy1 We can assume the weapon scope enhancer is directly fed to terminator armour helmet visor, can't see it working otherwise. At least can pretend so.

These Ideas are some of the best I've seen so far! Especially the light-concept 🙂

@voldo the purist in me says every enhancement is a direct HUD enablement which is why I believe that the light enhancement and bio highlighting should be in ADS and when not. Is what it is I guess.

Hello,

I dont agree about everything.
But you made some valid points, especially about radar, dark mode etc.
I approve them (point 1 to 5 especially), minus a detail : they should be optionnal, as a mode for peoples who desire such an experience.
It could be very fun and refreshing.
Experience should grow proportionnally, btw.

On a more general point of view : more variety / options is ALWAYS healthy for a game and it's community.

@voldo said in Suggestion for immersion and "fixes":

1. in random missions, hide map (aka add "fog of war"). Only show areas you have been.

This could be cool, it would force people to memorize the layout of the different ships before playing Special Missions/harder difficulties.

1. make maps randomly go dark. I mean, kill the ♥♥♥♥ing lights. What kind of space hulk has all lights/candles burning? Make corridors DARK. Only light coming from terminator suits, and gun fire. Makes game feel more distressing and epic, and firefights in narrow corridors look damn awesome when suit lights and gun muzzle fire revealing the approaching hordes.

I really like this suggestion, and would love to see something like it added to the game. In addition, I love the way the maps sometimes "tilt," or shift slightly off-kilter as though the Space Hulk is shifting beneath your feet. If both of these things could happen fairly frequently in harder-difficulty games, it would really help the feel of being in a hostile environment.

1. disappointed with the amount of genestealers attacking. 80% cases they some in group of 5-10 and one-by-one. From all games i have played (within 170+70 hours), can count the situations where i thought "ok there are quite many of them coming" with my one hand's fingers.

I could be ok with more of the "runtier" enemies spawning (regular Genestealers, hybrid shooters, etc.) but I feel like I get enough Stalkers, Suiciders, Aberrants, and Scythe-Strain/Broodlords on No Mercy personally.

-there would be elements that trigger bigger waves: gunshots, blowing up doors, general running/stomping around. At certain levels it would trigger "roosts" to vomit massive waves of genestealers against terminators.

I am totally behind this suggestion. I love it. Would make you want to get through levels as safely as possible without waking up a Horde by kicking too much ass.

1. Audio. The thing that makes game feel alive and suck you in the game (in addition from graphical side). Atm game sounds as dead as necrons though. Game lacks:
    -Terminator vox-to-vox chatter. i dont mean extremely limited voice commands you can give by pressing space. There are no chatter from singleplayer, that i miss dearly. In singleplayer they aknowledge enemies and give warnings. In multiplayer, terminators just walk around in silence. Even Eternal Crusade has better in-game voice commands /replies!

If there was a way for the Single-Player squadmate lines to be copy-pasted into the ambient dialogue of our Multiplayer Terminator squad, I'd freaking love it. I was thinking about suggesting this very thing in my own post the other day. This is an awesome suggestion!

-automatic terminator voice lines when using skills, when weapon is jammed, when reloading weapon. I have stated this many times in my suggestion threads, will continue even now. How hard is to add couple of voice lines for each class for skills? "Blessed is my wargear!" when weapon is jammed, others know this guy cant shoot now so can come cover? Chaplain shouting Litanies of Hate, everyone know they can enter melee brawl without having consequences? And so on. ADD MORE VOICE LINES FOR MULTIPLAYER!

Voice-Lines for activating powers would be swell, and a nice bit of detail for the game as well. Great suggestion.

1. I disagree, hiding the map would punish new/casual players unnecessarily, perhaps a new difficulty setting that forces friendly fire could also have no mini map though, not a bad suggestion.
  2. good suggestion for harder difficulty settings
  3. interesting suggestion, i depend on those blips. Though this would hurt random groups, be frustrating to have duplicates or none of the item.
  4. great suggestion, would give some use to the night vision optic and our torches
  5. they seem much smarter on no mercy, they will turn around and go back if they are just charging toward their deaths and stock up genestealers before charging
  6. contradict yourself here, using formations is tactical. Also the apothecary is needed for healing, tactical/chaplain for rezing. Librarian can 1 shot turrets and shockwave having no FF when FF is enabled is cool but as u point out in 8 librarian still needs a buff. We should see this evolve in balance patches after the bug fixes happen
  7. i think, aside from the storm bolter debate, the sound effects are solid. I definitely don't want single player voice chatter going on as it'd conflict with discord. what we need is in game voice chat support.
    I do really like the idea of voice clips when abilities are activated like vermintide when an ult is used
  8. Correct. I'd like to see the librarian get a heal/hot power as well in an off healer capacity

Those are just my personal suggestions how to add a bit more depth to the game. Game already looks stunning to the smallest details, but with a bit of polishing and adding additional stuff, game would have increased gaming value.

Adding a bit more details for my suggestions:

1. only for random missions and on higher difficulty, hide map

1. only for random missions and on higher difficulty, hide enemy spawns/movement in radar/map (unless special device equipped)
        --> with this would love to edit perks/gear in-game lobby, to have short tactical with players who takes what, and for example if someone would already have the designed auspex device to reveal moving enemies to all players.
  2. Only in random missions, on higher difficulties, map would be dark without other light sources than terminator suit's torches. It would add any sense to have torch on (atm it is not any use as lights are up everywhere) and to that special weapon scope that increases sight on dark areas. Also i'm talking about atmosphere: moving in narrow corridors, with suit's light bouncing with each step, checking and re-checking each shadowy corridor and door. The feeling of venturing deeper into unknown hulk would be more powerful.

3. More enemies (roughly "quantity over quality"). Vermintide 2 does this right: massive waves that are purely of smaller, weaker enemy types. I would also like to see that when you increase difficulty, the AMOUNT of enemies INCREASE, spewing hundreds of weakest tyranid types against the terminators from all directions. I think we face those invisible tyranids and those bombers enough as it is. So practically would love to fight more enemies, than have few but deadly ones.

4. About tactical teamplay, ofc each class has it's limited function (psyker--> turrets, tactical+chap --> res, apo heal) but that is pretty no-brainer. I would add a bit more depth to each class, like psyker choosing over protective/destructive powers, tactical dealing with doors (I would love to have more detailed door mechanisms, like plasmatorching/chainfisting heavy doorways, while others would need to protect him) and so on.

Also would like to see genestealers trying to tear doors open unless welded shut. Also bigger ones should pry the gates open (just as in the first trailers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMHW_cWoeos at 0:53 !!!!!

1. nothing more to add to my original post about audio, would like to have more of it from terminator side. The ingame voice lines would add immersion of them being there, rather than the dull silence what we have currently in multiplayer. As people mostly use Teamspeak/Steamchat/Discord for voice chat anyway, and the possible option to lower character dialogue volumes, I would not see any issue of terminators having own voice lines on skill-usage and commenting environment, just replying to @Jab

2. Chaplain skills need to be scaled down and mass-res turned into something else. Chaplain is a powerful spiritual leader, so adding battleshout to increase damage (as we have damage reflect/reduce already) would make sense. But again, voice lines for activating skills would be needed!

Librarian in multiplayer is a husk from singleplayer, it needs some delicious skills (as listed in original post above).

Just my opinions. I LOVE THIS GAME! I just would like to see some improvements and faith it will get more players as it deserves.

@voldo said in Suggestion for immersion and "fixes":

in random missions, hide map (aka add "fog of war"). Only show areas you have been.

hide enemy spawn point locations from map!!!!!

remove enemy movement blips from radar unless you have designed auspex device installed on, for example, powerfist >mode spot. With one party member having it, others could see enemy movement aswell (device and it's function is from >space hulk w40k book "Death of Integrity")

make maps randomly go dark. I mean, kill the ♥♥♥♥ing lights. What kind of space hulk has all lights/candles burning? >Make corridors DARK. Only light coming from terminator suits, and gun fire. Makes game feel more distressing and epic, >and firefights in narrow corridors look damn awesome when suit lights and gun muzzle fire revealing the approaching >hordes.

I really like these ideas, maybe add a Hardcore difficulty which implements these ideas. That way, we could still retain No Mercy games, but if you really wanted to up the ante, you'd have access to that Hardcore difficulty. Randomly dropped into a random map, fog of war, friendly fire on and 10% - 15% potential to be spawned away from your teammates in the beginning of the match (deep striking inaccuracies). Perma death maybe as a toggleable option (Reinforcements On/Off - boosts XP if off). Damage values kept from No Mercy, maybe boost the enemy spawn. Also, make it only playable in Special Missions.

I also like the ideas of larger swarms and using loud sounds to wake the nests, and the random full on darkness. Dead Space used that effect pretty well in it's first game if I remember correctly.

last edited by OmegaBlackZero
Streum On Team

You guys have been on fire with the suggestions lately! Thank you very much, that's a lot of stuff to think about once the major bugfixes are out of the way 👍

last edited by StreumOn - F8

@streumon-f8

Hello,

It's your fault ! The game is so good and unique, we can only want more of it 😉

@streumon-f8 said in Suggestion for immersion and "fixes":

You guys have been on fire with the suggestions lately! Thank you very much, that's a lot of stuff to think about once the major bugfixes are out of the way 👍

I personally hope you guys also start to make some changes to the game WHILE addressing most critical game bugs and errors, since if you tally too long, you notice the game lobbies being as empty as it was in previous game.

Atm at lvl ~90, playing 77 hours and unlocking most stuff, No Mercy and FF does not feel like a threat, and would love to see new things introduced to give more variety to th characters and maps (i would love to have maps without any light sources than terminator armours, and have more voice lines for them also!!!!).

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment, 'tis we all know too well. Especially after how badly game dev/designer folks were in touch with the community in previous Deathwing version, months after months of nothing. This game deserves to be the best W40K available, but not unless some things are changed and updates introduced.

I previously suggested a ‘night mode’ for chapters (like Battlefield 4 maps) and/ or a dead ship with zero power that can affect plasma batteries etc.. due to the cold. Temporary black outs like Voldo suggests would be gr8 too. Obviously, doors might not work and need to be repowered to pass through etc. Could have night mode / temp black outs with new Special Missions set as a dlc, or weaved into existing Special Missions so on a certain mission it just blacks out on each chapter and different sets of tasks are put to the squad to deal with. Like a puzzle game of turning on and off power to get through a maze.

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.