Improvements ideas for future Vampyr updates / hypothetical Vampyr 2

Hi, first of all I wanna say I love the game and really have great time playing it.
Nevertheless, there's a few things that should be added I think.
This is a summary of all thoughts for a better Vampyr game as much as for a Vampyr 2 prequel / sequel.
We have no idea at this point whether or not Dontnod will do a second game, but we can dream of it and talk about what we'd like.

_ Maps for houses, sewers and other places you go in after small loading screen.

_ A shortkey for hiding Interface and HUD which would also remove tracked quests, and / or an option to activate HUD only in combat.

_ Quick travels between the different stashes / hideouts

_ Level informations on quests and London areas.

_ A way to track down any citizen and spot him/her on London's map, without needing to walk everywhere for hours.

_ In the buying / selling window, add an option to see missing components for weapons upgrades and drugs required materials.

_ Option to sell all weapons that you find to merchants if you want (you can sell only some of them I think).

_ Auto-hide option for quest tracking and health, stamina and blood bar just like weapons and skill slots when you are not in combat.

_ A reputation system which allows you to get better prices, more hints, some hidden missions and events after doing a few investigations in the favor of a district / quarter.

_ Dismemberment = heads, arms, legs etc. Would be fitting when killing with vampire claws especially.

_ Blood spatter that sticks to NPC's in combat ( not just the floor)

_ Visible wounds upon dealing damage to enemies like scars, cuts, bleeding wounds. Senuas Sacrifice did this well. ( including an impaled wound from vampire powers)

_ Bite marks on NPC's ( same that appear during civillian biting)

_ Blood that sticks to your weapon upon using it

_ An option in Settings to increase the text size for those who want or need it. I am having great difficulty reading most of what appears on the screen. It would be very nice to be able to toggle to a larger size.

_ More outfits for doctor (finding them in city like we find weapons, recipes and collectables but we cud keep them
unlocked for next new game).

_ You probably hear this alot but New Game Plus or some form of New Game Plus where we keeping all weapons and
collectibles from first play to next new game (reset reset everything else ofc).

_ Game expansion (love your game and just want more)

_ More locations we can access with vampire quick-moves ; sometimes it was a bit silly to be standing in front of some locations without being able to jump to reach it while you could do it at some more distant and /or higher places.

_ More dialogue options than good / bad / neutral

_ More uses to vampire's mesmerize powers : could make a citizen spy on another one, kill someone, forget what he saw, etc..

_ No more of useless boxes and crates you need to destroy in order to go at some places

_ Add the possibility to create a pillar for the community, to replace a dead one or to save a forgotten place with no pillar. That would require time, lot of work, good dialogue choices and actions and a few chapters but it would improve the ways to deal with quests.

_ More learning by doing elements (shot 20 guys with a shotgun? well you get better at it now + x% damage)

_ Possible to learn some special powers from NPCs (faction dependent?)

_ A resistance / armor system (including clothing)

_ Knowledge should be power: Boni attached to the collectible sets (you have all 3 collectibles over the brotherhood - you get a +x % with the stake - you know all weaknessess of a vampire? You get a + x% bonus when you fight one)

_ A meaningfull theft and stealth system (no more grabbing everything that lies around in front of everybody) OR just close don't let all NPCs pocket change lie around in their houses.

_ Fighting xp adaptation to the power of the enemy. Winning against a Monster level 35 nets you the same amount of xp then winning against a skal level 3. Why?!

_ Upgradable Non-combat vampire powers and a meaningful use to them.

_ More meaningful ways to spend money (clothing, nice hideouts,... if future games play in a time later when blood bags are invented you could spend money for blood)

Feel free to comment and make your own list of ideas for game improvements you want from future updates, including those I wrote if you agree with them.
In this way, Dontnod team will know which things players want the most in hypothetical future patches / vampyr 2 .

last edited by Merzhinhudour

Gore system expansion and improval concerning the combat system and NPC's you kill in combat only.

---Dismemberment = heads, arms, legs etc. Would be fitting when killing with vampire claws especially.
---Blood spatter that sticks to NPC's in combat ( not just the floor)
---Visible wounds upon dealing damage to enemies like scars, cuts, bleeding wounds. Senuas Sacrifice did this well. ( including an impaled wound from vampire powers)
---Bite marks on NPC's ( same that appear during civillian biting)
---Blood that sticks to your weapon upon using it

last edited by Vampfan666

An option in Settings to increase the text size for those who want or need it. I am having great difficulty reading most of what appears on the screen. It would be very nice to be able to toggle to a larger size.

Added a few ideas. I invite everybody who played and liked or disliked features and game design directions of the game to share their thoughts and feedback about what they would want for hypothetical update / dlc / Vampyr 2

I who'd like to suggest some new weapon for example like this one: https://www.google.si/search?q=cane+sword&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiEwtfQ1tfbAhUEbhQKHfEXD4wQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=1132#imgrc=rNlu5GpTJSWMSM:

You who'd hold sword in your main hand and juse it as you juse Dragonbane (same move set animasion in fight bicose bouth being a sword) but in off hand he who'd be holding cane sword wood scarab and juse it as you juse stake in combat.
Ofc that means you cant use any guns in your off hand so this weapon who'd fall in to two hands category but it who'd behave like you using for example that I already wrote Dragonbane in main hand and stake in off hand.

Well it's just a suggestion because cane sword who'd go nice with this game. And sorry for bad english.

last edited by Morghy

Hello Merzhinhudour,

Thanks for collecting the ideas.
A lot of people emphasis on the combat esthetics... I would love to have more role-playing elements.

I repeat some of my Ideas from an earlier post:

I would like to see:

• more learning by doing elements (shot 20 guys with a shotgun? well you get better at it now + x% damage)
  • Possible to learn some special powers from NPCs (faction dependent?)
  • a resitance system (including clothing)
  • knowledge should be power: Boni attached to the collectible sets (you have all 3 collectibles over the brotherhood - you get a +x % with the stake - you know all weaknessess of a vampire? You get a + x% bonus when you fight one)
  • a meaningfull theft and stealth system (no more grabbing everything that lies around in front of everybody) OR just close don't let all NPCs pocket change lie around in their houses.
  • Fighting xp adaptation to the power of the enemy. Winning against a Monster level 35 nets you the same amount of xp then winning against a skal level 3. Why?!
  • Upgradable Non-combat vampire powers and a meaningful use to them.
  • More meaningful ways to spend money (clothing, nice hideouts,... if future games play in a time later when blood bags are invented you could spend money for blood)

Just some ideas.

• Maybe some big side missions wich have a nice reward like some LEGENDARY ITEMS (wich give some stat boosts) as a reaward, maybe a neglace, ring(s), charm(s) a legendary weapon like excalibur. we are in a (semi-)fantasy setting so it would make some sense.

@morghy This is some kind of classic weapon for vampires, and I'm actually surprised that nobody at Dontnod thought about it, would have suited perfectly with London, Jonathan's noble family and manners. But maybe those didn't exist at this time, I don't know.
I've just learned about Dragonbane, but couldn't get it in my play session, I've read stuff I shouldn't have.

Speaking about weapons, I've read some players complaining about the fact that we're a vampire and shouldn't use weapons, only vampire powers.
First, we play a new-born vampire, whose powers, senses and skills are at level zero.
Second, Dante from DMC is a half demon with dark powers but still uses weapons, because it's funnier and cool.
Third, almost all vampires use weapons, in all medias, even Alucard from Hellsing.

@T-H "a meaningfull theft and stealth system" I'm not really sure about this one. I honestly don't see any vampire from any universe hide in the dark, and stay hidden somewhere in order to steal some money. Why would any vampire bother to do that, when they can gather money for centuries, invest in long-term things, mesmerize people to make them do whatever they want, or just simply kill people and take their money ?
There's a reason why almost all characters who can live for centuries are rich, and even if in Vampyr we are young and didn't live a hundred years, we're still a vampire, who has many ways to get money ( well should ).
What I think is this would be solved by giving more options with Mesmerize powers, you could make people work for you, or make sure a rich old man going to die soon will write your name on some paper, there are a lot of possibilities with vampire powers and skills in diplomacy, politics and power games.
That reminds me of the fact that, in Vampyr, we take anything we can find from bins and trash cans.

Thank you for your ideas guys, keep them coming ! And pray that at least someone from Dontnod will read it.

last edited by Merzhinhudour

Info from wiki about cane sword:

"A swordstick or cane-sword is a cane containing a hidden blade. The term is typically used to describe European weapons from around the 18th century, but similar devices have been used throughout history, notably the Roman dolon, the Japanese shikomizue and the Indian gupti."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swordstick

Vampyr game is taking place in London during the 1918 Spanish flu so it shud be posible to have this weapon.
Regarding the Dragonbane there are two versions of weapons in game. You get first one that is called Dragonbane if you buy that hunters heirlooms DLC and the secon version you get in chapter 5 that is called True Dragonbane that is upgraded version of the first one and if you ask me the strongest one handed weapon in game.

Speaking about vampires not jusing weapons in games or movies is just mater of opinion if you ask me. Basically what I want to say its depends how the game or story and vampires in them are presented. Its not set in stone that vampires should use only their hands, teeth or superpowers to kill and I actually like how vampires are presented in this game and that they cant just juse there powers all the time because there juse is bound to there blood.
But then again that's just my opinion so never mind it to much. 🙂

last edited by Morghy

Yes, game would be way too easy if you could use only your vampire powers all the time, without limit. It wouldn't be fun at all.
I prefer to have swords and guns, it makes funnier combats than just using vampire powers.
I truly hope they'll give us a Vampyr 2 with a lot of improvements based on feedback and still keep all the things that makes this game awesome and the core design ideas they have.
It could become a wonderful trilogy of RPGs and I'm sure Dontnod can amaze us even more and fix the worst flaws of this first game.

@T-H "a meaningfull theft and stealth system" I'm not really sure about this one. I honestly don't see any vampire from any universe hide in the dark, and stay hidden somewhere in order to steal some money. Why would any vampire bother to do that, when they can gather money for centuries, invest in long-term things, mesmerize people to make them do whatever they want, or just simply kill people and take their money ?
There's a reason why almost all characters who can live for centuries are rich, and even if in Vampyr we are young and didn't live a hundred years, we're still a vampire, who has many ways to get money ( well should ).
What I think is this would be solved by giving more options with Mesmerize powers, you could make people work for you, or make sure a rich old man going to die soon will write your name on some paper, there are a lot of possibilities with vampire powers and skills in diplomacy, politics and power games.
That reminds me of the fact that, in Vampyr, we take anything we can find from bins and trash cans.

Thank you for your ideas guys, keep them coming ! And pray that at least someone from Dontnod will read it."

Ok. I think I din't brought over what I wanted to say - not my mother tongue obviously.
A Vampire doktor shouldn't roam through the chests of cabinets of some poor f*ckers and steal their pocket change right in front of them. Two possibilities: Or take away that possibility (why should a vampire need to gather 100 pound of pocket change anyway) or you implement a possibility to steal. In either way that issue is in my opinion rolebreaking and should be adressed.

A stealth system should really be integrated. In my imagination a vampire is a sneaky, manipulative bastard. I would really like to play as one and not as a fighting mashine.

The most surprising thing is, we're supposed to be a doctor working in a hospital, so we should get paid ( not that we work so much though).
Taking everything we find in houses of people and almost all places we visit has been a common thing in all rpgs video games, so I wasn't disturbed by it.
In a way, it's funny, because you work, you cure people, you even gather components and craft drugs in order to help and you give them to everybody for free.
And after that you go dig in bins and trash cans in order to find a few pennies.
Without mention that we're supposed to come from a noble and rich family.

There are many ways to fix it : first, in Vampyr we can' sell all weapons we find, if we could we'd make money easier.
We could have mesmerize option to make some citizens give us their money, or simply we could be paid more for any investigation we solve, people we save etc.

I too would like more clothes, side quests, sub maps, more interiors, characters, and the use of furniture like chairs.

I personally feel that the characters could have used better facial animations, and shown more emotion in certain scenes. For example right after Jonathan enters the first house to hide he picks up a small picture and says something about how sorry he is, but that doesn't seem like something a person would do in that situation, instead he should have angrily swept everything off the table and then broken down in sorrow.
This can also be seen by the whole relationship with Elisabeth.

Basically the characters are to flat emotionally.

Also the endings are a little strange, Jonathon basically just gives up every one else, friends and his mother, to be with Elisabeth in the good endings.

For a future sequel I would propose that characters be more fleshed out. This could be done by having Npc's move through out their area depending on what chapter it is in the game and what side quest have been done. For example the dude with the broken arm never gets his arm fixed, it would have been better if he could have surgery and then go home.

Here you have some of my proposals, I will think in more:

-Add Hand to hand combat (Come on you are a vampire).

-Square for normal attack and Triangle for strong attacks (Hand to Hand), establish some kind of combo system to make combat more enjoyable.

-Quick escape button to go away from enemies some meters, when they surround you (Very High blood consume, but could escape from troubles).

-Be able to use Jump power at our wish (Could be used like a fast travel through streets with no blood consume).
Don´t like Vanilla cause is like something Hard-coded just for certains spots.... that sucks.

-Faster Stamina recovery... I like the idea to have a limitation of movements due to a more strategic combat, but the slow stamina recovery from vanilla game kills combat´s dynamism.

-Option to partial feed on citizens (like a way to pick half experience from them instead of completely kill them, then implement a system that make that character´s recovery to be pretty hard like a penalty to this action).

-A HUD to guide through the map (This is something I don´t underst why Dontnod didn´t added).

-Location of citizens, resources etc... once you explored a place.

-With Vampire vision be able to see marked all the significant objects (coloured in orange like in Batman Arkham games Detective mode) cause in vanilla using it you don´t see anything...

-An estructured resource system, more meaningful... have all the information in every object to know what resources we need... some kind of resource guide...

-New and more appropiate vampire powers:

*Speed (used in combat can be like time-bullet, your enemies move slow while you move normal).

*Rage (You unleash your inner beast, but instead to lose control you totally control de character and could feed at wish, perform very strong attacks etc...).

*Mist (You can turn into mist, can fly through the surroundings, trespass walls (only when you reach them in story) or even to use as another fast travel... blood consume must be high and could be on for 30 seconds for example).

last edited by LordKain2312
Community Manager

Thank you all so very much for the fedback and suggestions you've put in here,

I'll pass these all on to the team, though we of course can't make any promises about future updates for Vampyr.

@pndr The man with broken arm get it fixed if you get rid of strickland. He and another doctor disagree on how to operate and that's why he waits until you get strickland out, by one way or another. After that, I've talked to him, and he's now working to help the hospital as carpenter.

@iyagovos Great news, thank you, it's good to know they'll hear about it. Also thank them for making this wonderful game

I agree with many of the improvements that all of you are saying! However, the combat was fun it was pretty deep for a newborn Vampyr. However, I think that the sequel should have more roleplay elements and more choices. I mean this game was amazing! I really enjoyed it and would love to see a sequel with more different creatures of the night and the return of Dr. Reid he is an awesome playable character as well!

Suggestion for side quests: every chapter we should get new side quests.

Right know most of all side quests can be done very early in the game and only little number of side quest from West end district are left. Right now I am in chapter 3 and have almost all side quest finisher except for Occult Oculus and West end quests.

last edited by Morghy

Maybe for future games add like a poison system to weapons. Jonathon is a doctor so he could make poisons to apply to his weapons.

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.