[FAN THEORY] Statues of Adam: is there a hidden meaning?

THE FOLLOWING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!
I just finished a year of Art History and I have noticed that the statue of Adam by Pierre de Montreuil, made in the 1260s, could be encountered in several places of the manor. Now, knowing Mortimer's fondness for statues from classical mythology, this artwork looks a bit out of place to me. Could it have a hidden meaning?
For reference, here's a pic of the statue in question:
alt text

last edited by helveticaes

@helveticaes I get were you are coming from but (if any great deal of thought has been put into this by the devs) I don't think we can look at this one piece in isolation. There are many paintings and statues that are anachronistic, break from classical mythology, and are repeated in various locations throughout the mansion.

The repeats might well be nothing more than the devs having to reuse assets. We see it all the time, even in AAA games, and the fiscal situation of independent studios make this possibility very likely. Doing so would be much more noticeable because of how familiar we players become with our surroundings given the relative square footage of the gameplay area. Of course, devs shouldn't be surprised that we're considering things like this. The decor in the rooms seems purposeful on the part of Mortimer. Louis has commented on this more than once.

While you've been fixating on Adam, I've been doing the same with the Three Shades by Rodin. It caught my eye in three different places; the largest version in the secret treasure room behind the fireplace, a little one in Emily's room, and the one that really kicked my imagination up a gear sits atop the lintel above the front door. Rodin designed this piece, along with the Thinker (which coincidently can also been seen in various places including Emily's and the treasure room) for his 'Gates of Hell,' styled on Dante's take on them. These are totally anachronistic. Rodin was only born around 50 years after our story takes place.

I don't know about you, but when I entered the mansion, the first thing that caught my eye was the enormity of the statue above the fireplace. Knowing of Mortimer's penchant for messing with his guests' heads, such as the lubricious paintings in Piaggi's room, and the paintings of Circe that scream 'Don't trust your host!' I can't help wonder if it was made to distract the guests so that they didn't realise that they'd just walked through the Gates of Hell.

last edited by XvitariX

I find your arguments quite interesting! I need to go back and spot the Three Shades for myself just to get a picture of the whole thing. But indeed, I think it is a way for Mortimer to play mind games with his guest. Besides, knowing him, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a kind of private joke going on: his guests think they're entering paradise when they are actually throwing themselves into hell.
Just by curiosity, I'll look out for other possible repeats. It may be that the Three Shades and Adam are part of a bigger picture... After all, wasn't Adam expelled from Eden, the primordial paradise? Perhaps there is a motif to it all...or perhaps this is actually just the devs reusing assets, as you said it lmao.

We seem to be being pushed towards two different conclusions. If we lose the scientific shackles and believe for a moment that demonic possession is real, we have some clues that appear to point that direction. If we continue to look towards science for our resolution, there are many hints that what's really going on amounts to time travel. My brain could short circuit over the possibilities. Whenever I'm in the entrance hall, I can't help but wonder what the paintings on the left and right of Rodin's 'Gates of Hell' tell us, if anything. On the left, we have a representation of the blind Oepidus, who killed his father and married his mother. On the right we have a depiction of Saturn devouring his son. If we believe Sarah that Mortimer's abilities are similar to those of Louis, is it such a stretch to believe that, maybe, Sarah wasn't being entirely truthful about her dealings with Mortimer? Those paintings give me pause for thought. (Especially since Saturn is repeated in Louis' bedroom.)

last edited by XvitariX

I must admit that I was doubtful of Sarah's theory, since it doesn't explain the presence of artworks from the future.
Since Mortimer loves to play mind games through the paintings he chooses for his guests, I am sure the paintings hold a meaning. I think I need to make a diagram of all the theories and possibilities. And I also need to take screenshots.

I seem to be holding everything in my head for now but it's getting harder with each new episode. I really should have kept notes for each of my six save games, as I'm starting to have trouble remembering what happened in each, especially in the case of the three saves that hybridised Louis' skillsets.

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.