Idea for a mod: collapsing bridge

Hey guys,

I do not know how to make mods. I am not smart enough for that.

However, I do have an idea for a mod, that could add a bit of gameplay: a bridge that can collapse under a certain load. A light truck would be able to go through, but a big heavy truck would break it.

The way it could be done is by using the breakout threshold that you can see in some XML files (for example the XML files of the small and medium trees). Two or more of the bridge pilars could have a breakout threshold, and as such could break or simply fall, getting the bridge to collapse.

What do you think? Could it be feasible?

It would add a bit more game play, as the creator of a map could choose that a shortcut to a sawmill can only be used by small 3-log trucks, for example.
An overconfident player could destroy a path to a sawmill/log station/garage/gas station.

I know there are already the block posts (I think that's how they are called), but these barriers only block trucks that are loaded with logs. Not trucks with other add-ons such as semi trailers. And they block all trucks loaded with logs, a b130 with 2 log points and a e7310 with 8 log points...

I'm sure we could find other ideas of application.

Do you think that's a good idea, and is it feasible?

I posted that in the Mod section, as I am sure the devs are not going to implement such new thing in mudrunner (maybe the USA version, but even that, I strongly doubt it).

Thanks!

last edited by minikeum

Something I haven't looked into before but it might be AFAIK. There was a tilting bridge mod for the original game so it should be semi easy.

Edit: I found what makes it tilt. I'll have a play with it and see what I can do.

last edited by Digital X

@minikeum
It is definitely possible, as we discussed with @8up-local somewhere around here. For Oldtires there was such a mod (custom made object), roughly I recall 3 different solutions.
So yes, it is feasible. 😉

@minikeum

Here's the code from "bridge_wooden.xml"

I believe "Twist min and max" alters what it says, as for literally breaking in half, is beyond me.

<_templates>
<Constraint>
<Bridge
PlaneAxisLocal="(1; 0; 0)"
TwistAxisLocal="(0; 1; 0)"
TwistMin="-5"
TwistMax="-5"
Type="Ragdoll"
>
<AllMotor Damping="200000" Spring="1000000" Type="Spring" />
</Bridge>
</Constraint>
<Body>
<Bridge
AngularDamping="0.1"
Mass="1000"
NoSoftContacts="true"
NoSoftImpulse="true"
/>
</Body>
</_templates>
<ModelBrand>
<PhysicsModel>
<Constraint
_template="Bridge"
ModelFrameChild="BoneBridgeR1_cdt"
ModelFrameParent="BoneColumn_cdt"
PivotOffset="(2.4; 0; 0)"
/>
<Constraint
_template="Bridge"
ModelFrameChild="BoneBridgeL1_cdt"
ModelFrameParent="BoneColumn_cdt"
PivotOffset="(2.4; 0; 0)"
/>
<Body _template="Bridge" Mass="0" ModelFrame="BoneColumn_cdt">
<Body _template="Bridge" ModelFrame="BoneBridgeL0_cdt">
<Constraint _template="Bridge" />
<Body _template="Bridge" ModelFrame="BoneBridgeL1_cdt">
</Body>
</Body>
<Body _template="Bridge" ModelFrame="BoneBridgeR0_cdt">
<Body _template="Bridge" ModelFrame="BoneBridgeR1_cdt">
</Body>
</Body>
</Body>
</PhysicsModel>
<Occlusion Size="(12.0; 24.0)" Texture="occlusion_bridge_wooden.tga" />
</ModelBrand>

@Digital-X

I believe "Twist min and max" alters what it says, as for literally breaking in half, is beyond me.

No, those are limit values ie as the name says (and pavels uses it) its forward twist (along the start of the bridge till the end)

the BreakOffThreshold="" from the _Plants models template will make the bridge snap but said code its so unstable that it can need either too much or too low Forces to break it (because of the many cdts included on the bridge model unlike trees and plants where there is only 2 and not any double contraints like in the bridge) you can also make the dirt bridge break and its far more easy to code

i have plans to create a multi _cdt based log bridge as a personal project in colaboration with Tattoo (model provider) so far i've made a chain like link of 10 small Box _cdt models to create the swing of the bridge as you move over it but as said before the BreakoffThreshold="" tag doesnt like that much the internal colisions or all colision modes

this is the type of bridge im building

Rope Bridge

@Forces that bridge you're building looks interesting, would love to see it in game.

Oh my bad. Was thinking a bit too simply I guess.

@sodoma yeah, we talked about Slammspringers Twisty Bridge and the old breakable mod bridges. all good/cool ideas and would be nice to see them pop up once and a while again. Slamm would not mind seeing twisty on MR maps. the old breakable bridges was always a nice touch. i remember a map i was testing where someone made a "short-cut" trail with a breakable bridge knowing people would want to take the route. thing was though when unloaded you could "safely?' cross it, but once loaded or if hit too hard it would collapse. i emphasize the safely since the bridges would break if drove across fast. maybe just my opinion, but i feel new map makers today especially the ones who did not play the original game to go play some of the better old maps if they can or at least watch some vids once and a while when they need inspiration or something. i can think of a lot of stuff done then that would be worth doing again with the new game. mostly little things that most people never think about or look at, but i do. thing is though it is not just one thing you can pin down or do. so much of the "little" things add up for the bigger picture or total atmosphere of a map.

last edited by A Former User

thanks guys! I didn't know it was done before, but I Googled it now that you mentioned it and found some nice pics or videos about the collapsing Bridge in oldtires. Would be nice to see that come back on one or two mod maps 🙂

Thanks!

last edited by minikeum