Champion Ladder Season 9
Community Manager

Hey Coaches,

It's been almost a week since the launch of Blood Bowl 2: Legendary Edition. We just released our first hotfix on PC/Mac, which will come to consoles in a couple of days.

We started a poll last week about the Champion Ladder Season 9 in our last community update. Some of you are still experiencing technical issues and, even though the most urgent ones are fixed in today's hotfix, the majority of you voted to wait for the first big bug fix update before launching a big competition with money on the line.

0_1505144932529_VAMPIRES_05_logo.jpg

It means that the next Champion Ladder with actual money on the line will start right after the next big update comes to all platforms. Our current ETA is early October.

That doesn't mean we can't offer a better experience in a moderated environment to the numerous players who joined the community with the release of the Legendary Edition! We know many of you are playing in the Champion Ladder to flee from conceders. That's why we'll open a Champion Ladder Season 9 without any money on the line, to offer a well-administrated ladder to both new and seasoned coaches.

Champion Ladder Season 9 will start as soon as the hotfix is live on console, current ETA is Wednesday, Sept 13th, and will end the day after the next big bug fix update.

It's also an excellent opportunity for our admin team to test the new Champion Cup format:

• 32 teams
  • Single Elimination Tournament
  • 32 teams qualified from the Champion Ladder:
    • Top of each race (24 teams)
    • 8 "wild cards" for second best teams of each race (highest ranked race runner-up, until the 8th highest ranked race runner-up)
    • 2 teams of each races maximum.

We'll publish the extended rules of Champion Ladder Season 9 at its launch, in a couple of days.

Don't hesitate if you have any feedback in comments.

Regards,
Netheos

Great initiative !!!

Thank you !

PS : Money doesn't really matter (Most of us will never win a single penny anyway)......the competition with a race for a play offs berth +actual play offs is sufficient to keep player motivation pumped !!

PPS : only news that could be sweeter to read would be the anouncement of a world cup !

last edited by JRCO

YEY - looking forward to finally try out LE.
So the real question is: will ducke be able to win it all with a Halfling/Goblin team?
🙂

Can you tell us if progression in Res will be fixed in the early October update please?

Sounds great! I do think the 2nd highest gobbo, fling, and ogre should be in the cup by default. 😃

@YogiReloaded said in Champion Ladder Season 9:

So the real question is: will ducke be able to win it all with a Halfling/Goblin team?

Of course. And with a blindfold.

I remember when he thought he wasn't particularly good and was just playing Brets.

Community Manager

@JimmyFantastic said in Champion Ladder Season 9:

Can you tell us if progression in Res will be fixed in the early October update please?

That's our goal!

@Netheos said in Champion Ladder Season 9:

That's our goal!

Excellent, thank you!

So - will the league start today? If so, when?

Thanks.

Community Manager

@YogiReloaded said in Champion Ladder Season 9:

So - will the league start today? If so, when?

Thanks.

It will start as soon as the hotfix is released on all platforms (done Monday on PC, should arrive today on Xbox One and PS4).

@the-Sage said in Champion Ladder Season 9:

Sounds great! I do think the 2nd highest gobbo, fling, and ogre should be in the cup by default. 😃

That would at the very least encourage more players to run the trash tier teams (as well as encourage people to buy the LE to get them who have yet to do so).

@Netheos said in Champion Ladder Season 9:

That's our goal!

Hi,

there's a lot of leagues planning res competitions, we would be very pleased you to not only fix it but also to allow us to buy inducments (including champions).

Is that on your agenda ?

Community Manager

there's a lot of leagues planning res competitions, we would be very pleased you to not only fix it but also to allow us to buy inducments (including champions).

Is that on your agenda ?

It's on the community wishlist, but not a "bug" given the initial scope of the feature. It won't be in the bug fix update early October. In case of potential future content, it's part of the to-do list though.

last edited by Netheos

@Netheos

Too bad, i guess we will have to wait.

Thank you for your answer.

Do we know with the current season if there is a minimum amount of games to qualify for the cup (not like im going to qual anyway.. but)

and if so how many, and also what ranking system are you guys using at the moment for the seasons. Is it S3?

Thanks!

BB2 Champion Ladder Admin Team

No minimum. Same ranking system as S3.

But that means if I fluke 4 wins in a row I'll be amongst the top ranking. Wouldn't a better system be points based with 3 for a win 1 for a draw and -3 for a loss ( to balance out playing loads of games?

If you fluke 4 wins in a row you'll be nowhere near the top. That would give you ~52 points. That wouldn't even get you in the top 50 at the moment, and the league's only been going a week.

last edited by dode74

Well it gets you 49th place.

6 Wins in a row gets you 30th place.

Is this the best system? I would have thought rewarding teams that play more and keep the same positive amounts of wins would be better. But Im just making educated guesses, i havent ever played in leagues like these before. Are there any other systems that have been tried? Do you not think my idea would work?

Champion Ladder has several teams on 4-0-0 right now. The top one is 65th with 52.23 points. There is a 6-0-0 in 28th.

Thing is, this is the start of the season. Teams will play far more games and as they do those low-played teams will fall down the ladder. Most seasons the top teams require a good 30+ games and a superb record to qualify.

Did you read the explanation as to how the rankings work and why? More games played are rewarded more, up to a point (42 games). After that it's about best percentage. Multiple different systems were modelled using real data from the game before this one was settled on.

last edited by dode74

Thanks for replying. Yes i read that and understand how it works, though its hard to see what you need to do within that system to get about these teams with hardly any games. Im guessing if your winrate is better than 76% you will get ahead of the low game 100% win teams.

Just for me I think this system isnt great, as to me it encourages you to play less rather than more because a loss is quite punishing in the rankings. I think it would be better with a minimum games played (say 10?) though i think you tried this before. Encouraging people to play more rather than play 3 or 4 games to get a perfect record would seem better to me, though you have much more experience than me in these things im sure!

How do you think my idea of 3 for a win, 1 or 1.5 for a draw and -3 for a loss would work?

As a team with 10 wins, 3 losses and 2 draws would be above the 6 wins team with this system, which im not sure they would be in the other.

3 or 4 games with a perfect record simply won't put you anywhere near the top. Realistically you need a 15-20-game perfect record to be up there, and that's pretty good going regardless. Good coaches win upwards of 75% of their matches and teams which have qualified have needed around 30 games to do so, so I think your concerns can be allayed with the facts of what has happened since Season 3.

I'm not a fan of any system which simply encourages more play like yours does. Under it a 15-5-3 team (76%, so well above average) would do worse than a 19-12-9 team (62.5%, so a bit above average) which I don't think is appropriate. It's important to encourage people who can't play as often as others, while simultaneously ensuring that a "reasonable " number of games has been played. The current system seems to do that ok.

@dode74 said in Champion Ladder Season 9:

It's important to encourage people who can't play as often as others, while simultaneously ensuring that a "reasonable " number of games has been played.

I couldn't agree more.

Ok interesting to see how it ends, i think like you say the top teams it works for but the rest of the league it screws the rankings up. So you are playing for the qualification and then ignore your place other than that imo. If you understand what im trying to say.

How are the runners up selected. Is it a random choice from the second best of each race or the top teams in the league who are second ranked, ie the second ranked halfling team will never get in 🎖 lol

Thanks again for the info.

The top teams are what matters in this competition, ultimately. Not so sure about "screws the rankings up" for the rest, but certainly you're more likely to get a better ranking if you play more. I don't think that's a bad thing.

Runners up are second best of each race. And 2nd Flings are highly unlikely to get in.

By screws rankings up i mean, i have a dark elf team which has played 2 games and is 210th rank. Its nowhere near as good or played as well as some other teams, but by virtue of the 100% record (reduced to 70whatever % ) it hangs in this position. Thats what im trying to get at, but its unimportant, as that team will not qualify for anything, but it isnt the 210th best team in the league.

Are dwarves a bit op for these short leagues? We have dwarves 1-3rd place. Is there a listing for past top 10 in the leagues previous it would be interesting to see how teams perform. Also when does this season end?

Sorry for so many questions! Lol

The only thing we can ascertain rankings on is performance, so that's what we use. The reduction in rank value due to games played is to account for the fact that we are more sure of the performance of teams which have played more. There's not really any significantly different way to account for wildly differing numbers of games played (even Elo will have the same issue).

Previous seasons' data can be found on GoblinSpy. No, dwarves are fine for these leagues. Thing is, teams aren't really competing against other races in this ladder since the top (2?) of each race goes through. So even if the top 20 were dwarves it wouldn't matter since only 2 of them would qualify.

Season ends when the patch drops. Bear in mind a season would normally be 6 weeks.

Edit: this is a good article: http://www.moserware.com/2010/03/computing-your-skill.html

last edited by dode74

Though I like the new ranking algorithm I was wondering if there could be minimum number of games before a player qualifies for eligibility to the knockout tournament. Perhaps 20 or 25 (maybe too much).

I can still see angling where players play 14-15 games and if they have a near pristine record just stop playing. The risk reward doesn't justify the playing anymore. Just thinking 20 games or more reduces variance and match angling.

Also the game minimum forces players to play to not only improve their record but to get minimum number of games in while risking their records. The side effect is that it keeps more coaches active with relevant teams risking their rankings i.e. more excitment.

14-15 games is already possibly as many hours invested in trying to qualify. I believe it's good enough as a commitment.

Hey guys,

Do you already know when season 9 ends this week?
Would be nice to know early to plan for the qualification.
Thx and greets,
Madfrog

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.