Wissen not seeding properly in Eternal League

I'm in the Blood Bowl Qualifier, which is a Wissen tourney. In the last week I'm 7-0-0 (obviously) and for some reason I'm playing the 20th place 4-0-3 team. Isn't Wissen supposed to seed you against the most equal to your record? I understand not playing the 2nd place team at 6-0-1 as I already beat them, but out of 20 teams, there should be at least 12 teams I haven't played in an 8 week Wissen format.

Community Manager

Hi, you can here find explainations about how the pairing system in wissen tournament works right now.

The pairing algorithm hasn't been changed yet. Your team has probably be paired last, explaining the lack of good opponent, especially at round 7 (you can play against each opponent only once).

@Netheos Thanks. Seems like a dumb way of doing the matching to randomly assign order of pairing. I agree with your statement in the link they should pair the first place (probably to whoever is 2nd, 3rd, 4th in order until you reach someone you haven't played), and then go down the list. As it is now, it's not even close to a Swiss format, its just a round robin with 50 teams and paired against 8 random opponents. Theoretically and although not likely, but still possible - you could go 8-0-0 by playing the 50th ranked team every time.

Community Manager

@JohnnyFeyev said in Wissen not seeding properly in Eternal League:

@Netheos Thanks. Seems like a dumb way of doing the matching to randomly assign order of pairing. I agree with your statement in the link they should pair the first place (probably to whoever is 2nd, 3rd, 4th in order until you reach someone you haven't played), and then go down the list. As it is now, it's not even close to a Swiss format, its just a round robin with 50 teams and paired against 8 random opponents. Theoretically and although not likely, but still possible - you could go 8-0-0 by playing the 50th ranked team every time.

No, that's not how it works.

Teams are still paired depending on the closest score they have (+3 for a win, +1 for a draw and +0 for a loss). But the first team to be paired with the closest score is currently picked randomly, then same for the second one (picked among the remaining ones), etc...

The core of the feature works properly. Picking teams randomly (to then, paire them with the closest score available) gives better results on large scale. But it's counter-intuitive for players, that's why it's better to change it.

last edited by Netheos

@Netheos Ahh, that makes more sense, I misunderstood which part was random. But yes, it would be better, proper, to have the first place team choose first, and pair with the next best record. If there are multiple best records, compare who has played who of best records and match any that haven't played. The remainders get paired against each other using same matching as above. Then just go down the list doing the same for each "set" of records. I'm confident you'll be able to sort it out and get them to see reason.

Looks like your connection to Focus Home Interactive - Official Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.