Question about in-game audio and chat

I typically use my home surround sound to produce in-game audio and I communicate with other people via chat headset. I played for the first time last night and I couldn't find a setting in the game's audio configuration to send player comms to my headset. Is the chat audio integrated into the game audio be design or am I missing something? Every other game automatically picks up my headset and defaults to chat audio. I've never had this problem before so I would certainly appreciate it if anyone out there can add some clarity.

I'm on PS4

Thanks in advance!

I'm not entirely sure, but I "think" I may have seen something in the controller settings where you need to push L1 or something to chat? I'm still really new so I could be wrong.

Yes, you have to push L1 to chat. .....which is annoying given that if you are ADS'ing at the time, you have to stop or do a little finger gymnastics. It's not that I mind requiring players to key up to chat (it helps eliminate background noise) but I wish there was an option to assign these things to different buttons.