Digital X's Workbench.

Instead of creating multiple topics from now, I am making this one main thread for any modifications/tweaks I do from this point.

To start off I made a corrugated metal sheet, I may make this Dynamic and not Static so it moves when driving over it, I'm hoping is the plan.

alt text

@Digital-X Nice dude lovin your new models and materials👌

Thanks! Even has little rust holes!

Planning to do 5 different variants of each object.

last edited by Digital X

All 5 pieces together.

alt text

Yeah, that's cool DX. Map clutter. lol. I like that you're trying different stuff like Dynamic models. That's what I'm wanting to learn as well. Like how a fence breaks apart. I think I got it figured out, I just have too much other stuff going before I can mess with it. Like lights. I've been wanting to learn how the lights work and just got that going recently.

I managed it before with the Static/Dynamic because I made the "short logs a" stay in the ground, so I altered it somewhere, but not sure what I did now. This is an old pic I have showing it. I thought having it set to Dynamic would means it moves when hit..

alt text

@digital-x said in Digital X's Workbench.:

I managed it before with the Static/Dynamic because I made the "short logs a" stay in the ground, so I altered it somewhere, but not sure what I did now. This is an old pic I have showing it. I thought having it set to Dynamic would means it moves when hit..

Do you know that the model needs to be skinned and bones added for the movement to work?

last edited by Tattoo

I haven't a clue about bones and all that sorry mate. I literally edited Dyanamic/Static on those logs I swear it was that simple.

One of the values changes it ridged to not-ridged.

All the new corrugated pieces and a new rock done now and in game view:

Due to the texture and angle the rock isn't showing the edges much, it's a flat slate that juts out at random levels.

alt text

Slightly better angle on that rock showing the edges
alt text

Last pic for now, I'm done working haha. There's 4 more rocks, including a nice big boulder. Yes I'm aware the boulder looks like a Ferrero Rocher 😉 I may change the texture.
alt text

For 15/5/18:

I am working on making the corrugated metal sheets react dynamically to the vehicle weight and position. So if you drive on a certain spot, it will rock back and forth until contact with the ground is made, just like real life!

last edited by Digital X

OK the dynamic metal sheets are not working how I want, they will have to be static, something to do with the way they are made. Apologies. However I have changed the textures of two rocks, lightened the "arid rock" so it's less black looking, and darkened the "boulder"

alt text

And a mossy rock for good measure.
alt text
and in game
alt text

last edited by Digital X

@digital-x, They look good. Don't forget to use x-form on them after scaling them so you don't get an error when trying to load them in the editor.

Here's a good site for textures, if you don't already know about it yet
CG Textures

Actually, that one may be a copy of the original. It looks like they changed names because this link shows, formally cgtextures.
Textures.com

last edited by Tattoo

Thanks, Yeah I keep forgetting Xform. I had to do a new rock because it's cdt was about a foot off the actual rock..

textures.com I've used a fair bit, great site.

Here's site I found with rocks on it and the one in the links is free. I was gonna make it a model for the game but haven't gotten to it yet. There are others as well but it's not a free site.

Quixel Megascans - Cracked Rock

Also, check the download settings for other options like texture size and model format.

last edited by Tattoo

Can only imagine the image size of that! Unless that's the render.

I'll have a look at that soon thanks.

Yeah, it's 8k but there's lower as well. That's why I said check the download settings.

Ah didn't see that bit till now.

There's also code you can use to show tire tracks on your rocks when you drive over them like PZ did on his. I've been testing it to see what's needed to get it to work because it doesn't work all the time for some reason but I think I got it cuz it works on my models now.

last edited by Tattoo

Who's PZ? Wasn't aware of a code that could do that, that would be pretty cool.

Definitely having more Rock Model Options would be a good thing....Looking good man.

For some reason, had errors with a certain rock so had to remove that one for now. I still have two "dark" rocks, one "moss" rock and the "boulder".

I'll make sure I still want them tomorrow after a good sleep and then package them up, so we'll have 4 rocks, 5 corrugated metal pieces and two other surprises you will see soon.

Didn't have to wait too long, enjoy!

Youtube Video

last edited by Digital X