Pace is too fast.

I know the game isn't supposed to be Siege slow, but I feel the game is turning into battlefield. It's nearly impossible to have a coordinated plan, because enemies run too fast and can easily demolish it.
Example:
Say you want to toss a flash-bang in a room before storming in. Well the enemies might find out by the sound, and either a.)Spring right out the door you just opened and spray you down, or b.)Sprint right out the room and jump off the balcony as you enter the building and blast you from behind. The character speed totally needs to be tweaked.

@resolama1 what you're describing is not a fast pace, but a stupid and unnatural AI.

I'd be fine if they removed sprint altogether.

They probably won't do that, but maybe they could nerf the sprint speed a bit.

I honestly think movement speed is fine. You're supposed to be moving quickly between cover. The pace would be slower if the bots weren't retarded and also moved using cover. If they acted a lot more naturally, firefights would be totally different.

Some of the best AI I've seen in a shooter was from Metro Last Light. I mean they did some unrealistic bullet dodging sometimes, but the way the AI used cover, moved, ducked, fired from behind cover was just so natural and I wish Sandstorm didn't just recycle the old AI behavior which is strolling around in the middle of the road.

last edited by thehappybub

The movement speed is way too slow for this map size.

@cyoce I have to disagree. The speed feels grounded and movement has some weight to it. I like it very much. I would caution against making it any faster.

@thehappybub higher speed might be problematic in CQB, but I think it's needed for these large maps. Maybe add a long acceleration stage to make map traversal easier without affecting firefights.

last edited by cyoce

@resolama1
The heaviest loadout in the game has a decent speed, make the light soldiers similar.

Speed going up and down stairs is insanely fast, slow it down and add stamina consequences that mean something.

The maps are not too big, don't need to make soldiers insanely fast, Sandstorm is faster then Borderlands 2 and BL2 has bigger maps, so don't listen to all the ADDs and ADHDs.

No one is traversing a map, they are going from objective to objective, it currently on takes 8-12 seconds to get to them.

Maps are still on the small side, need more AI, better AI placement and more randomness.

last edited by lightspeed

@lightspeed said in Pace is too fast.:

need more AI, better AI placement and more randomness

And just better AI.

@thehappybub said in Pace is too fast.:

need more AI, better AI placement and more randomness

And just better AI.

That too!

Randomness of enemy A.I. spawning points has always been a problem in computergames.
I don´t know any Gametitle where the spawn points are absolute random.
They vary between different predetermined points on the maps, but there never has been a game where the spawn points are total random ( somewhere on the map )
So don´t expect any difference in this game at the final release

last edited by GSG_9_LIGHTNING

I agree with needing randomness. Ive pretty much memorized where the AI are and when they will make it to a certain point based on when the shooting starts. Kinda boring now.

I feel like there's only one spawn point for each point. I think its a big reason the AI are always so grouped up.

@cyoce said in Pace is too fast.:

@thehappybub higher speed might be problematic in CQB, but I think it's needed for these large maps. Maybe add a long acceleration stage to make map traversal easier without affecting firefights.

Ooooooh

I really like this acceleration idea. Would allow you to get across the map faster without compromising CQB gameplay with people just sprinting like a madman.

last edited by MarksmanMax

@marksmanmax I know it's not perfectly translatable as they're completely different games, but I'm envisioning the sprint mechanic behaving like running does in Mirror's Edge (but not the parkour, obviously).

@gsg_9_lightning said in Pace is too fast.:

Randomness of enemy A.I. spawning points has always been a problem in computergames.
They vary between different predetermined points on the maps, but there never has been a game where the spawn points are total random ( somewhere on the map )

Everything is predetermined but it's up to the devs to add a lot more predetermined scenarios.

Many games just concentrate on pvp but Sandstorm has a huge potential to be THE modern military co-op game for a while. A good challenging Co-Op stays around long time after pvp has died off and everyone is bored of it.

I believe it's worth to keep developing co-op so it's more random, more challenging.

Don't get me wrong, I see some cool stuff that NWI has developed for AI behavior, I feel like they've just scratched the surface of what is possible with their coop game and the UE4...

Sandstorm has a huge potential to be THE modern military co-op game for a while. A good challenging Co-Op stays around long time after pvp has died off and everyone is bored of it.

Totally agree. You can do coop much longer than you can do pvp. It's kind of the perfect level of interaction with other players that doesn't make people copete too much or rage at each other. I like it more than pvp personally.

last edited by thehappybub

@thehappybub said in Pace is too fast.:

Sandstorm has a huge potential to be THE modern military co-op game for a while. A good challenging Co-Op stays around long time after pvp has died off and everyone is bored of it.

Totally agree. You can do coop much longer than you can do pvp. It's kind of the perfect level of interaction with other players that doesn't make people copete too much or rage at each other. I like it more than pvp personally.

Well, there's no competition (or there shouldn't be anyway lmao). If I'm a Marksman, I have a lot of Coop games where I'm the highest on the scoreboard but I also have the least amount of objective caps because I'm just holding back and picking people off, and somehow I'm still MVP lol.

@cyoce said in Pace is too fast.:

@marksmanmax I know it's not perfectly translatable as they're completely different games, but I'm envisioning the sprint mechanic behaving like running does in Mirror's Edge (but not the parkour, obviously).

I was actually gonna mention Mirror's Edge but decided against it lmao.

That being said, I wish you could vault up ledges that were a bit higher than the current vaultable objects, and I also wish that vaulting overall was a bit faster, considering crouch-jumping is faster and basically does the same thing. For that matter, I kinda also wish it was more clear when vaulting if you'd be able to shoot your gun or not but I'm not really sure how that would be done.

@gsg_9_lightning said in Pace is too fast.:

Everything is predetermined but it's up to the devs to add a lot more predetermined scenarios.

Many games just concentrate on pvp but Sandstorm has a huge potential to be THE modern military co-op game for a while. A good challenging Co-Op stays around long time after pvp has died off and everyone is bored of it.

I believe it's worth to keep developing co-op so it's more random, more challenging.

Don't get me wrong, I see some cool stuff that NWI has developed for AI behavior, I feel like they've just scratched the surface of what is possible with their coop game and the UE4...

Yeah, this year seems to be the era of modern military games again. About time lmao.'

While I think PvP will be fun for a while (especially when new weapons / gamemodes / maps / etc are added) Coop lasts much longer. Fucking hell, unless I'm being curbstomped and I rage or something I could play Checkpoint all day. I can't wait for new Coop modes and (hopefully) improved AI kinda like Day of Infamy.

I have some really insightful commentary...

@marksmanmax said in Pace is too fast.:

I wish you could vault up ledges that were a bit higher than the current vaultable objects

Yes.

I could play Checkpoint all day

Also yes.

That being said, I wish you could vault up ledges that were a bit higher than the current vaultable objects, and I also wish that vaulting overall was a bit faster, considering crouch-jumping is faster and basically does the same thing. For that matter, I kinda also wish it was more clear when vaulting if you'd be able to shoot your gun or not but I'm not really sure how that would be done.

Vaulting is painfully slow and it has gotten me killed. Vaulting seems pretty much useless at the moment. Crouch jumping covers almost the same distance, and it doesn't disable your gun. I would crouch jump all the time if vault and jump weren't on the same key, forcing you to turn 180 degrees and jump backward to get on to something vaultable.

Whether or not you can shoot your gun could be clarified by completely lowering the gun when it isn't possible (on the long vaults, with the icon of an arrow going over a cube) and the gun staying leveled on short vaults (the ones with the arrow going on top of a cube icon)