Hey devs, i'm a big fan of the game, I'm just posting some suggestions focusing on just animations tied to gameplay with some pros and cons (some).
As a tactical shooter this game lacks some details in animation that pertains to gameplay. I believe Rainbow Six Siege is in the right track when it comes to current gen shooters and animations. Even BF5 copied some of it's idea. I think the biggest thing that's holding back shooters is their animations. The genre is so limited to what the players can do and how players can interact with the environment. There are a lot of indie tactical shooters still in development (your competition) that are exploring ideas to expand how players play FPS.
here are some ideas that can be added to Insurgency Sandstorm that could be added, hopefully, without remaking the animation system. maybe.. note that I'm not asking to BF5 or COD-fy the game at all, some of my suggestions are based on Insurgency's gameplay.
- Left-click should behave as a trigger finger.
- Player should be able to shoot while vaulting over short barriers with horrible accuracy but lethal at close range. More like a self defense when caught off guard.
- Players should be able to shoot the gun, especially full auto, while the animation transitions from hipfire to ADS. Accuracy should adjust accordingly. There are many situations where I was caught clicking left and right mouse button and my gun never fires.
- Holding ADS button (or right-click) changes the gun handling to a "hip-aim" (See PUBG). While Hip-aiming, the player movement is set to ADS speed. Accuracy is between hip-fire and ADS.
- If hip-aim is a thing, Players are able to blind fire around corners while in lean position.
- Holding F for opening doors should open the door slowly
- While holding a grenade (holding the left-click) and Pressing F on the door will make the player open the door, toss the nade into the room then close the door.
- Add First-Person Animations
- Improve bipod behavior. Currently it feels really sticky.
- Shorten the delay between switching from grenade launcher and rifle.
- Rainbow Six Siege does this and BFV copied. Prone position on a corner should change the player's animation into laying down instead of half the body is through a wall or the ever so awkward being push off the wall because you're prone-blocked.
- Add dive prone (While sprinting press Prone key). Balance can be achieved by limiting player's offensive capabilities (delay the time when player can shoot) This move is purely defensive.
- Current lean mechanic is confusing and needs a redesign. I get how it's should behave but when you stop strafing, player pops out more, which is horrible. My Suggestion:
- Pressing the lean button again should make the player lean further. Example: Pressing E player will lean right, players can move freely while lean position. Pressing (or holding) E again while in the current state Players will lean even further or "pop-out of cover"
- Shift or Sprint breaks the state or pressing the Q (lean left) should break both state and player will lean left, press Q again player leans further left.
- Players should be able to lean while prone
- Player should vault faster when sprinting, animations will use both hands so going back to my suggestions on gunplay, players can't shoot while sprint vaulting.
- Player should be able to "sprint" crawl. Players are unable to shoot but could move cover to cover faster while prone.
- Crouch-Jump should be a thing, currently it seems like an exploited glitch.
- Please add some environmental markers on places that can be vaulted over. There are terrains that are not so obvious.
- Add markers on the map to indicate that these places are out of bounds.
I apologize for the long post. I feel like these animations, if implemented correctly, should help modernize the gameplay. It might add some layers of complexity but as a tactical shooter where 3 shots can take you out, it could help players old and new peak corners safely, and navigate the environment smoothly. Hopefully some of these animations won't force you guys to overhaul everything from IK to FK..