Free the fallen trees!

@8up-local hehe I didn't know that

also there is more to these fallen trees than it seems. check the "chunks_spruce_a" file. the fallen fir uses this xml for a reference. it goes with the fallen trees i believe and might be what is causing the stretching? i am not very good with XML stuff, so i could be wrong.

last edited by A Former User

@minikeum said in Free the fallen trees!:

It is still not perfect. First, you can't rotate the spruce/fir easily when you crane it. And another think I noticed is : grab your tree in such a way that it is slightly crroked (not perfectly flat). Lift it up and drop it. It will fall normally until it rtouches the ground, and then it will fall slowly.

I think we need someone smarter than me to solve that one. I could not find a solution...

First, you can't rotate the spruce/fir easily when you crane it.

Reduce the mass to something more realistic. 800 is 2x the mass of the long log. Try something like 100 or less. Do that for both instances on the fir(pretty sure that's necessary, but haven't tested with changing just one instance).

Changing line 12(ONLY, don't do 12 and 24) seems to have fixed the stretching issue too. So far as I can tell. It was happening every time I tried to pull one with the winch. And about half of the time I lifted one with the crane. Now it doesn't happen ever, pulling or lifting.

Nevermind, I found the solution : delete completely the line AngularDamping="40.0" and everything works fine !

I need to play the game now to find if the behavior of the lying trees is not too funky now when we drive over them... I'll keep you in touch !

last edited by minikeum

Nevermind, I found the solution : delete completely the line AngularDamping="40.0" and everything works fine !

It's weird how deleting that line makes rotating easier too. I suppose you could just do that and leave the mass at 800. It isn't very realistic though. And if you also reduce the mass it makes rotating even easier.

ok, so now i am curious as to what the "chunks" are. would these be the "broken" part of the fallen fir and spruce? like after driving on them and they break apart?

OK, so with the following changes (for lying_spruce_a):

• line 11 : "AngularDamping="40.0" " deleted,
  • line 18 : "<Constraint AxisLocal="(1;0;0)" Type="UnlimitedHinge" />" changed to "<Constraint BreakOffThreshold="1" Type="Fixed" />"

I think the behavior of the lying trees is good. I was scared that the trucks would always push the trees, but it's not the case. The bigger trucks still drive on top of them like before. Sometimes they push one or two, but nothing crazy.

You noticed that I changed the BreakOffThreshold from "280" (what I originaly posted) to "1". As I understand it, the BreakOffThreshold is the parameter that defines as much an asset is stuck to its original position. The bigger the number, the more difficult it will be to make the asset move from its original position. Once it has been moved once, I believe the BreakOffTreshold does not play any role anymore.
Anyway, I lowered it to the minimum value possible, but I may increase it slightly again, mostly because lying trees dos not seem to be able to damage trucks anymore (I need to confirm that though).

The BreakOffTreshold and mass of the trees may need a little more tweaking, but right now I'm pretty happy 🙂

last edited by minikeum

@8up-local said in Free the fallen trees!:

ok, so now i am curious as to what the "chunks" are. would these be the "broken" part of the fallen fir and spruce? like after driving on them and they break apart?

Bingo!

Here's what they look like:

Lying fir and spruce chunks in the foreground, unbroken lying fir and spruce trees in the background.
0_1519776493023_20180227155922_1.jpg
Just the chunks.
0_1519776554242_20180227155947_1.jpg
Just the unbroken lying trees.
0_1519776632192_20180227160037_1.jpg
Making chunks out of lying trees.
0_1519776680575_20180227160207_1.jpg

If you played Spintires back in the day, PL made Twig_Smash because of how strong the broken trees were. I thought it was pretty cool. It's still on .nl and may help ya or give ya some ideas.

http://spintires.nl/wpfb-file/st14_twig_smash-zip/

Not much on that page but this one shows and explains more. Not sure which is newer but no link on the this link.

http://spintires.nl/twigs-2-0/

OK, so with the following changes (for lying_spruce_a):

• line 11 : "AngularDamping="40.0" " deleted,
  • line 18 : "<Constraint AxisLocal="(1;0;0)" Type="UnlimitedHinge" />" changed to "<Constraint BreakOffThreshold="1" Type="Fixed" />"

I following the thread since you startet. I always wanted that feature, because as you said it added much more realism to the game. In spintires old i get it to work but not for mudrunner.

So you say all i have to change for the lying spruce are these two lines right?
Do you have also the chages for the lying firs?

Thx

@alpscruiser yes, in classes->plants, find the XML files lying_spruce_a and lying_fir_a.
In lying_spruce_a, change the exact lines I mentioned
For lying_fir_a, it is the same principle:

• find the line AngularDamping="40" and delete it,
  • line 12 : change <Contraint Type="Fixed" /> to <Constraint BreakOffTreshold="1" Type="Fixed" />

I will keep playing the game like that, and if I like the way the lying trees react, maybe I will upload a mod on mudrunnermods.com, because I believe a few people have asked for this mod.

last edited by minikeum

@mudhappy ok, thanks. i was curious as to what the differences were exactly. basicly one is already broken. which is what i was thinking, but unsure about.

mmmhhh today I was trying a new mod map with some hard pack trails. The behavior of the lying trees are not very convicing on this...

So it's definitely not perfect... Playing a mod map, and two flying lying trees jumped on me.

On the picture below, the vertical tree that I am hooked to, is actually a lying tree that jumped and went vertical...

0_1519936269050_20180301212653_1.jpg

I believe the problem is that one of the extremity of the tree was stuck in the ground : you can see that the trail is concave in this location ; the tree was lying accross the trail with one part stuck in the ground on the left). And as soon as I put a tire on the tree, it "reacted" and jumped...
If my truck is damaged, it's because of the first tree that jumped. I was lucky the truck did not tilt.

So freeing the falling trees is actually not perfect at all... That's too bad, because most of the time I really like the way the ling trees behave (except maybe on hard surfaces, but who cares about hard surfaces 🙂 )

Off topic: that little mod truck is nice : it's a uaz with a bed, in which you can put 1 load of logs. It is nice to complete the 7 points of the C-6317 😉

last edited by minikeum

@minikeum what is the weight of the fallen trees? i am wondering if more weight will help keep them from "jumping". also since there are other objects to the fallen trees that are being referenced to, would those maybe have an affect as well on it? like as in the bush chunks and bush branch lines in the xml's.

mostly i am asking for my own curiosity than anything. i am no good at the xml/coding stuff, but i try to learn what i can. lol

@8up-local right now I have no angular damping, a BreakOffTreshold of 100, and I didn't touch the mass (800 I believe).

I don't think changing those settings will help though. Here the problem is that a section of the lying tree is stuck in the ground. When I touched it, it started to move and went in the position that has the less constrain. Which in that case is a vertical position...

I will try to reproduce the bug with and without increasing the mass.

last edited by minikeum

My personal opinion...... pavel jumps onboard farm sim 19 team and helps them add mud and deformable terrain, cause the way he does it is really nice..... my opinion only! Would be cool tho to deal with mud while farming logging!

last edited by DrGoNzO1489

I'm guessing it's from removing the AngularDamping line. You might try adding it back and changing the value. Like I said before, you can fix the rotation problem just by using realistic mass values(800 is ridiculously unrealistic). I know removing the AngularDamping line entirely also fixes the rotation and the "falling too slow" issues. But you might need to compromise a little on that to get better overall results.

Yes it might help, I will give it a try. But I don't think it will avoid all the bugs.

Third bug I found :

0_1520020814067_20180302205901_1.jpg

I drove on top of that tree which was lying with both extremities in the ground. As soon as my tires touched the tree, it went up (so that the extremities were not in the ground anymore but on the ground). And my truck on top got lifted...

last edited by minikeum