The Epic Store Question.

With the recent trend of Epic store exclusivity deals; I would really appreciate a clarification (whenever you are able) as to whether or not this game will be available on steam or if it will be exclusively made available on Epic Store.

Personally I really hope that path is not taken. (Even if it is only for a limited time)

The reason developers are going with Epic is due to cost. Steam takes 30%+ of all sales through the Steam store. That's a lot of overhead the game developers have to overcome or compensate for. Epic is taking around 10%, so it is easy to get developers to try them out. This price point is part of why Bethesda created their own store/launcher/distribution for Fallout 76, instead of using Steam.

Steam is also turning out to be a bottleneck. Steam has ~90 million subscribers. Epic has more than 250 million off of one damn game. The number of eyeballs/impressions for developers is far, far greater than Steam, and at less than half the cost.

The Epic store is new, and the demographics of the Epic userbase may favor certain games, but expect to see a LOT more games launch on Epic and not Steam. And yes, expect to start having multiple game site accounts. Steam, Epic, GOG, Origin, etc.

@Cetera
So there is nothing negative to you if they chose epic store exclusivity?
Now if they told me that chaos cults, skavies, and a bunch of dlc ect. were guaranteed to be funded by an exclusivity deal I might change my mind cause I want more stuff lol

Other than that, not really.

last edited by GingerRoeBro

Hey guys, just wanted to quickly get a word in.

Everything is still possible at this time.

The digital PC game market is shifting quickly and with huge players like Google joining the fray, more changes are bound to happen in the marketplace. We are keeping track of things and will do what is best for the game and our community in the end.

I mean, a few years ago most games were sold in brick and mortar stores... the times, they are a changin. 😃

@gingerroebro said in The Epic Store Question.:

@Cetera
So there is nothing negative to you if they chose epic store exclusivity?
Now if they told me that chaos cults, skavies, and a bunch of dlc ect. were guaranteed to be funded by an exclusivity deal I might change my mind cause I want more stuff lol

Other than that, not really.

I never said that, or anything close to it. I currently use both Steam and GOG.com, and it isn't ideal. I tend to get focused on one or the other for a good while, and then months later "rediscover" a cool game in my library on the other one and play it for a while. And managing more accounts is always a bit of a hassle.

I'm simply stating why companies are using Epic over Steam, and that the status quo is over. Things will be different in the future, and it doesn't matter if you or I like it or not. And that change isn't going to stop with Epic, as @Frank_Lalight points out.

The good news is that generally more options and competition brings out good for consumers in the long run, either by innovation, new services, or lower prices.

last edited by Cetera

@frank_lalight said in The Epic Store Question.:

Hey guys, just wanted to quickly get a word in.

Everything is still possible at this time.

The digital PC game market is shifting quickly and with huge players like Google joining the fray, more changes are bound to happen in the marketplace. We are keeping track of things and will do what is best for the game and our community in the end.

I mean, a few years ago most games were sold in brick and mortar stores... the times, they are a changin. 😃

My only potential issue is the security concern. Dealing with multiple launchers and accounts doesn't particularly bother me, but the Epic Store has some notorious security policy flaws. Fortnite, I suppose, presents an enticing opportunity, so perhaps it's just a popular target, but there is a significant trust issue with Epic that's largely absent from Steam or GOG.

ill pernale hope they dont go Ecip store only
do i can see why they might
ecip store is pro dev but anti consumer

realy hate have add more games i wont be able to play anytime soon (borderlander 3/phonix point)

and im kind looking forward to this game do love mordhiem and more off fantasy fan then sci-fi it strile sound like i could be fun

I don't think it'd be a very good idea, Epic has managed to amass quite a bad reputation in a short amount of time.